The Waswood Calendar

[color=#0066ff]“On inclement seasons in the Waswood, certain eddies emerge in the brackish water. The willows, dipped weeping in the stream, part and allow for new passages to form in the forest. Or, perhaps more accurately, old ones.”[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Today we’re launching a permanent living-world expansion to the Waswood in Parabola. The Waswood Calendar allows you to experience some of the one-off events of Fallen London’s past, either for the very first time, or as a trip down memory lane.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Ford the river and push past the vines to meet previous mayors at the Fruits of the Zee, and experience the intrigues of elections past – even relive the opening of Arbor of the Roses. And in the Waswood, false histories mingle with the truth; you may catch glimpses of the could-have-beens and never-weres of London’s history.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Waswood Calendar will rotate through a different past event every week, looping back around once each event has been shown. Some events – such as Mayoral appearances at Fruits of the Zee – will allow you to gain items or qualities that were previously retired, if you do not already have them. The calendar is otherwise not a profitable venture, but a slow, low-pressure tour through the past.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Waswood Calendar is available to all players who have a Parabolan Base-Camp and access to the Waswood. It starts its reminiscence today with Sinning Jenny at Fruits of the Zee.[/color]

I just started thinking about what to do with myself. Thanks

A semi-sentient jungle is putting on a puppet show for me, which is a ghost story. The story isn’t about ghosts, but the story itself is a ghost.

As someone who was around for Jenny’s tenure, this was an engaging adventure because of what I saw of the Waswood, more than what I saw (again) of Jenny (and Sister Lydia!). It’s like experiencing the memory of the event, rather than the event. Dream-like, as befits Parabola.

I’m glad players will get to experience a piece of the game they missed. Maybe I’ll have fun with different decisions of what I did last time.

Well this is fantastic news! I really appreciate there being a proper way to catch up on some of the old events I may have missed or only experienced on a previous character. Sounds like I need to buckle down and start trying to establish that base-camp already.

This sounds like a really cool idea! :)

Wonderful! I never feel right about ephemeral stories that require one to have been in the right place at the right time to enjoy.

Is this going to include the time the Bazaar was lit with sunlight?

As a “newbie” - coming up to my first anniversary - this pleases me greatly.

[color=#0066ff]Aw I’m so glad you’ve all enjoyed it thus far! [/color]

As someone who stopped playing for a couple of years and has picked it up again, this is a great way to catch up on some of the content I missed. Really enjoyed encountering Sinning Jenny today!

To experience this week’s Waswood Calendar event I need a quality that reads “Unlocked when you do not have a Jaunt in the Waswood”. How do I get rid of a Jaunt in the Waswood?

It’s a Living Story which should reset one week after your previous Jaunt.

It’s a marvelous idea and I look forward to enjoying it, even if meeting Jenny as Mayor is not one of my favorite former FL stories.

Oh , so it’s one week from when I played it. Thank you!

This is really cool! Does anyone know what happens with the items? The story offers you the item only if you don’t have it from the original event, but you then have the option to do things that would give it away, so does that mean you will lose the item from the original event if you had it, or do you still keep the item since it’s only a Waswood memory? I’m worried about accidentally losing my item if I pick the wrong choice someday.

I had the forsaken wimple already, but I got it from fruits of the zee. As it played out, I had two of them briefly, then had to return one in the story. They gave it back at the end, which should have made it two, but I still only had one in inventory.

Anyway, no loss but also no gain if you already have it.

[quote=Bluestocking]
I had the forsaken wimple already, but I got it from fruits of the zee. As it played out, I had two of them briefly, then had to return one in the story. They gave it back at the end, which should have made it two, but I still only had one in inventory.

Anyway, no loss but also no gain if you already have it.[/quote]
You might check to see if you have both a Wimple! and a Wimple. They are different items and I, somehow, have both.

Meanwhile with the Mildewy Mask from Virginia, it did not give me a second copy. I go the message &quothas not changed from 1 because it’s already higher than 0.&quot I chose not to give it to her, because I need the Dreaded and was afraid to lose it. If you end up getting it back afterwards, I would probably choose different next time.

At the end of the day, I’m not too worried about losing a valuable item, because these stories will loop around and repeat. But we don’t yet know how many weeks that will be, and it could be a lot.

I am somewhat disappointed that apparently Virginia (which I missed the first time around) will be available to me for less than a day because I didn’t immediately rush off to re-read the old Jenny story, but still chose to read it when I happened to be in Parabola on Wednesday. I was under the impression that each story would be available for a full week. If I had been warned of this ahead of time I would have just skipped Jenny completely.

This can hardly be described as &quotslow, low-pressure&quot with such a severe penalty for doing the story late in the week.

[quote=PJ]
This can hardly be described as slow, low-pressure with such a severe penalty for doing the story late in the week.[/quote]

If I understand the mechanics correctly you can &quotreset&quot the Jaunt clock once some item that you don’t need cycles in and you skip it, and then play the following Waswood calendar story on the first day it is available. Of course this has to be tested but is this sound reasoning?

I too played the Jenny story rather late in its week , so I am curious if my theory pans out.

[quote=PSGarak]

I go the message &quothas not changed from 1 because it’s already higher than 0.&quot I chose not to give it to her, because I need the Dreaded and was afraid to lose it. If you end up getting it back afterwards, I would probably choose different next time. [/quote]

Mechanical spoiler:

I chose to give the Mildewy Mask (shadowy +6 ,dreaded +2) to Virginia and , although I had not been in possession of the object before visiting the Waswood, the Waswood still gave it to me at the end (Gained it once , lost it to Virginia, gained it again , all in the Waswood in the span of about 10 actions).

From Discord

So perhaps we should all stop stressing about how the living story will force us to miss weeks sooner or later. The missed weeks will be available again in a couple of months.

(My condolences to anyone who misses this week and really needs a +2 BDR hat, though. I know how much pain an extra point can save when Notability is high but needs to be even higher)