The Two Charming Devils

I was thoroughly wooed by the Quiet Deviless and the Affectionate Devil, but as our intimacy deepened they asked me for my soul. I suspect that if I were to comply to their wishes, it would potentially be my last interaction with them, which leads me to believe our entire relationship was just a ploy for my soul. However, in our previous excursions there seemed to be genuine affection and when refusing the Affectionate Devil’s gifts he respectfully accepts rejection like a true gentleman. Now I am wondering if there was any bond at all or if they were only after me for my soul the entire time. Since I am not yet well educated on all the ways of Fallen London, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Also please excuse me if I’ve misinterpreted the proper way to create posts as this is my first time.

It’s safe to say they were only ever after your soul. Sorry, chap, but that’s the way devils are. They scheme and they ploy and they’re terribly charming, but in the end, they all just see you as a sacrificial lamb.

If you buy the Quiet Deviless with Fate she says some interesting things that do indicate she has real feelings for you. But unless and until you have the Fate, she likely just sees you as wrapping paper around the soul she’s gonna get out of you. I can dig up that echo in my journal, if you like. (She’s available as a Fate-locked companion either through the Western Tower lodging card, which you get when you have a guest room at the Brass Embassy, or during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.)

As for the Affectionate Devil: [spoiler]
(These spoilers discuss things that happen and things the Devil says during the Intimate of Devils storyline, so avoid them if you don’t want it spoiled for you)

You’ll find his willingness to play the gentleman decreases the further you get in your relationship. If you invite him into your lodgings and refuse to hear his talk about Abstraction, there’s a flash of real anger in his eyes, and he leaves you with a kiss on the cheek that leaves your skin numb for hours. Which is not something devil kisses normally do, so it was definitely either an intentional punishment or an unintentional mark of his anger.

Also, when you accept his gift, you’ll notice he says, &quotI do hope this means you’re considering allowing me to… so many others pursue me, you know.&quot In other words, &quotYou’re special, but you’re not THAT special, and if you don’t give me what I want, I’ll replace you with someone else.&quot

But hey, hope springs eternal, and nothing’s stopping you from writing fanfic where things are a little different.[/quote]
edited by Lamia Lawless on 8/2/2016
edited by Lamia Lawless on 8/2/2016

I would be quite interested in seeing that particular echo, as buying Feast companions is not a thing one often does.

Don’t trust the devils. They are only after your soul, and they are really good at faking being interested in the person instead of his or her soul. Sorry. :/

I’m so sorry…

I’ll PM the echoes to whoever wants them.

[quote=Lamia Lawless]If you buy the Quiet Deviless with Fate she says some interesting things that do indicate she has real feelings for you.[/quote]Oh, that explains why she got very upset if we’re &quotjust friends&quot at that picnic…
May I please have that echo too? Thank you.

It still bugs me that the Deviless is allowed to have feelings but the Devil isn’t. Isn’t the point of having a male and a female option so we can pursue a romance with the gender of our choice? And while I’m not saying the two characters should be interchangeable drones, personality wise, it does irk me that, just like with the Artist/Artist’s Model, those who prefer the female character are allowed to have a deeper relationship, while those of us who prefer the male character are basically told “He’s an *sshole. Sorry.”

Both the Deviless and the Devil and wonderfully written characters and it would be great if the writers could throw a bone to both sets of fans, not just fans of the Deviless.

I guess the writers thought introducing a new character with new art (the Green-Eyed Devil) would be more interesting than the Affectionate Devil.

Although, I like the Affectionate Devil, so I would have preferred him to the Green-Eyed Devil. (The Green-Eyed Devil just pisses Lamia off.)

Why not offer all three, then? More devil companions. More, I say.

Because nothing pleases fans of a character more than being given a completely different character we don’t know instead, right? :P

But yes, I agree. Offer all three and everyone’s happy.

EDIT: besides, the Green-Eyed devil doesn’t have feelings for the player either. Though I appreciate that he’s honest about it :P
edited by Kukapetal on 8/2/2016

I would appreciate a PM too.
edited by suinicide on 8/2/2016

[quote=Lamia Lawless]I guess the writers thought introducing a new character with new art (the Green-Eyed Devil) would be more interesting than the Affectionate Devil.

Although, I like the Affectionate Devil, so I would have preferred him to the Green-Eyed Devil. (The Green-Eyed Devil just pisses Lamia off.)

Why not offer all three, then? More devil companions. More, I say.[/quote]
Yes, more devil companions. Devil companions are fun. We should be able to collect a coterie of them. <3

[quote=Eglantine-Fox][quote=Lamia Lawless]I guess the writers thought introducing a new character with new art (the Green-Eyed Devil) would be more interesting than the Affectionate Devil.

Why not offer all three, then? More devil companions. More, I say.[/quote]
Yes, more devil companions. Devil companions are fun. We should be able to collect a coterie of them. <3[/quote]

I’d sign beneath that statement in a heartbeat. More devil companions!

I would like the PM as well please.
Also, my own personal headcanon gives the Green Eyed Devil’s statement a bit more affection. Only because his statement, I’m only interested in your soul" when he’s obtained by a character with a stained soul a bit more confusing. Devils seem to be repulsed by the Mr. Eaten stains, so him claiming that he only wants your soul in those circumstances comes off as “Please Don’t realize I actually like you.”

I was deeply disappointed when I mislaid my soul that one time and they both vanished from my deck forever. I’d be very much for collecting more Devilish companions. Ideally, I’d also like a thread that would allow me to keep the Quiet Deviless and/or Affectionate Devil in my opportunity deck as a nominal value “remember when” sort of card. The Struggling Artist won’t stop harassing me for jade and I have to actively dissuade the Jewel Thief, but I can’t even see my favorite Devils for tea now and then? :(

[quote=Lamia Lawless]If you buy the Quiet Deviless with Fate she says some interesting things that do indicate she has real feelings for you. But unless and until you have the Fate, she likely just sees you as wrapping paper around the soul she’s gonna get out of you. I can dig up that echo in my journal, if you like. (She’s available as a Fate-locked companion either through the Western Tower lodging card, which you get when you have a guest room at the Brass Embassy, or during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.)
[/quote]

I played the Pygmalion storylet before the Intimate of Devils, so I was oddly delighted to see how well they wear their make up and open my heart like a surgeon, with scalpels of wit and etiquette. Outstanding students of human society, after all. With the self-awareness of wrapping paper, I enjoyed their company as free shows, and was almost always marvelling at the acting, but it upsets me a little if the deviless can have some real feelings for me…I feel like a jerk, slightly.
(Could you please send me a PM of the text? Thank you!)

I partly agree with the idea that &quotfemale characters are less likely to be jerks&quot… yes, more and better male romance companions, please. But it’d be kinda weird to see all devils (that we encounter directly) can be kind. That’s…too good to be devils. (And maybe the only &quotgood male&quot devil is monopolied by the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer. Blame her. Though I still doubt his intention.)

Meh. It’s obvious fan service that the Deviless somehow actually acquires feelings for the player character anyway, so why does realism only have to apply to fans of the devil?
edited by Kukapetal on 8/2/2016

Wait. I don’t mean to show racism against devils! :) It is comforting to see even devils may encounter some accidental beautiful sentiments, I agree. I’d say if it’s a fans service, or something accidental, it should be… apparently occasional. At present, these are the only devils we can be personally close to; it would be misleading to find all of them sharing true sensitivity to human. Maybe the whole figure of devilkind would be a little different unless FBG confirm it’s a fans service. It might be hopeful if we require some future devil characters randomly show a little kindness, though.

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]I would like the PM as well please.
Also, my own personal headcanon gives the Green Eyed Devil’s statement a bit more affection. Only because his statement, I’m only interested in your soul&quot when he’s obtained by a character with a stained soul a bit more confusing. Devils seem to be repulsed by the Mr. Eaten stains, so him claiming that he only wants your soul in those circumstances comes off as &quotPlease Don’t realize I actually like you.&quot[/quote]

Well, he’s definitely lying about devils not being able to get drunk, and he’s being awfully loose tongued with a stranger. So there’s definitely room for interpretation.