The Two Charming Devils

I wasn’t implying it was to pander to heterosexual males, it’s simply been my observation that the Deviless is by far the more popular character on the forums, and I assumed that’s why she was made available as a companion (which is where all the evidence that she actually has feelings for the player comes from).

My indication was that both characters were originally just manipulating the player, however the Deviless got quite popular and she was eventually made into a companion along with the suggestion that her feelings might be genuine.

This was the “fanservice” I was referring to. However, I admit to not knowing the actual histroy behind why the character was made into a companion and the Devil wasn’t, and so I admit I could be butt wrong about this.

Thank you so much for these responses. I had really hoped there was something more to this than a simple soul extraction, but I am happy to hear there is a way to further your relationship with the Quiet Deviless (although I favored the Affectionate Devil). Sadly I won’t be able to play it, but it’s nice to know it’s out there.

I completely agree with this. The relationship storylet for the Struggling Artist and/or his model was brief and not particularly interesting to me. On the other hand the devils were extremely endearing (until the last bit) and I want to know more about them. I really hope they make a reocurring devil who you will be able to have a real relationship with along.
Also Lamia, if you are still giving out echos I would love some.

I don’t know if she’s kinder so much as affectedly feminine. She’s a devil and female, so I suspect she’s constrained to be especially careful to come across as lady-like and innocent. Her interest in poetry does raise questions, though, especially when you compare it to the Absconding Devil’s talent as a sketch artist. I never went &quotall the way&quot with her (Lamia prefers loquacious company. The quiet deviless’s reticence made her uneasy) so I suppose I’m missing information.

They were BOTH obviously manipulating the player character to get their soul, the devil using charm and the deviless using more subtle emotional manipulation (my friend and I joked that she probably has an entire room full of “beloved” pet bats hidden away somewhere and the current one always just so happens to die whenever she needs to set the hook and reel her latest dupe in). Remember that they BOTH drop you like a hot potato once they get what they want from you. The deviless wasn’t kinder, that was merely the tactic she was using to woo the player.

Making her develop genuine feelings for the player character because she was popular IS fanservice. And that’s okay. You act like you think I’m slamming the writers (if that’s indeed what they did, I again admit to not knowing the history behind the choice to make her a companion), but I’m not. Fanservice can be enjoyable and getting her as a companion probably made many players quite happy. It didn’t go against the lore (it has already been established that some devils DO fall in love), and they way it was revealed was consistent with her characterization. All this is fine, and I’m not slamming it. I just think they could have done something similar with the devil so his fans could be happy too. I’m sure there would be an in-character way to suggest that his affections might be genuine.

Also, sorry somebody called you an arrogant twat via private messages, but it wasn’t me so I don’t see why our discussion has to stop. It’s your choice, however.

Actually, from what I recall, she’s even more prone to hurting the player character than the Affectionate Devil is. Spoilers for An Intimate of Devils under the cut.

[spoiler]When she catches you bragging about your relationship with her to that society lady, she grabs you by the arm and digs her claws into you and burns you. Your Wounds go up.

The same thing happens when she catches you spying on her in her house, although I guess you could say that’s warranted, compared to simply saying ‘no’ to an Abstraction with the Affectionate Devil.

She also invites you to a dangerously hot dance floor, and I don’t remember her being a source of sympathy or aid when you fall and burn yourself. And then she invites you to the Prickfinger Wastes, which is also incredibly dangerous.

The Affectionate Devil’s invitations look tame in comparison: A boat ride where he protects you from river monsters. Dinner at the Long Spoon. A dinner party (where he cries in humiliation if you give him bad tips for appetizers and his society acquaintances reject him). Opera. Helping him pick out a cravat. But then he invites you to a party and ends up drugging you, so there’s that. Plus the punishing kiss that steals all the heat from your cheek.[/quote]

I’m not arguing against the idea that she’s capable of kindness or love, though. I just find it interesting to pore over the details offered in the game and go back and forth over the ‘what ifs.’
edited by Lamia Lawless on 8/3/2016

He really doesn’t strike me as being exceptionally nasty underneath the charm and wit. He’s just…a devil. It’s simply the writing giving you hints that he’s not being genuine with his affections, not singling him out as a particularly nasty member of his race. The deviless gets this too…I know there’s one point where she scratches you if you don’t want to discuss selling your soul.

They’re both acting and they both show temper if it looks like their act isn’t working. The deviless is simply playing a more subtle character.

I interpret her bringing you to dangerous places as tests. Devils love knowing that you know they’re dangerous, and that the temptation is still great enough for you to take the risk anyway. She wants to see what lengths you’ll go to to get close to her, and what you’re willing to do. That’s what I think, anyway.

It occurs to me that, given what we know about the true nature of devilz, there’s a real possibility that all the devils in London are actually female.

I’d rate that highly likely PJ.

I find the idea that Devils enjoy knowing you want them so much that you will undergo terrible dangers intriguing. It’s something my character would very much understand, wanting to be wanted.

But, I wonder, is it really that? Is it the proof of temptation, or is it that escalating proofs are an excellent way to condition someone to give in to in increasing ways? The goal being something leading to a willing abstraction obviously.

As long as we’re talking about Devils and romance, what’s the deal with that one deviless in the Flit who’s trying to seduce a rubbery? It’s very likely not for their soul. Do Rubberies even have souls? I’m pretty sure souls are mostly a people thing. On the whole, devils seem to range from apathetic to disgusted by rubberies, so why is this one so different? [li]

I ask because she is one of the three devilesses who, to my knowledge, show something like love (or something more than soul greed)

[quote=Johny Topside]As long as we’re talking about Devils and romance, what’s the deal with that one deviless in the Flit who’s trying to seduce a rubbery? It’s very likely not for their soul. Do Rubberies even have souls? I’m pretty sure souls are mostly a people thing. On the whole, devils seem to range from apathetic to disgusted by rubberies, so why is this one so different? [li]

I ask because she is one of the three devilesses who, to my knowledge, show something like love (or something more than soul greed)[/quote][/li]Clearly she has a thing for tentacles. XD

Ugh, I hope not. Not only do I not get my preferred devil as a companion, but finding out he’s really a girl would just add insult to injury :P

Maybe they put the males to work on devil society instead of letting them just lie around all day like the earthly version of these creatures do.

I found the gender roles quite appropriate for the time period. This is still the 19th century. A dangerous man in a Victorian novel is cruel, the hint of promised destruction clear in his eyes. A dangerous woman in a Victorian novel will look frail, write poetry, pine and eventually her softness will seduce you into annihilation; even as you perish, you will never be certain she did not love you after all. To me, the devils are playing the gendered roles their era demands - maybe even to the point of developing a semblance of feeling, the better to seduce you with.

I’d like a PM about the Queit Deviless’ fate-locked content, too, if the offer still stands. About the Green-Eyed Devil’s as well, if anyone would be so kind?

Ohh, I agree! This is beautifully said, and the last part about the &quotsemblance of feeling&quot is precisely what I was thinking about on the matter, but struggled to put into words.
edited by Mikarissa on 8/4/2016