The study of Parabola ((Spoilers))

Parabola seems to me like the only mystery of the neath that isnt studied a whole lot.[li]
Sure Doctor Scholomo and the Glass seem to know something about it but they are quite cryptic.

Is there any inlore groups dedicated to studying the Parabola and mirrors?
And are there any player run groups dedicated to it? Ive seen seekers bind togheter aswell as scholars of the correspondence.
Seeking the answers of dreams is difficult by yourself. It will often cost you your sanity.
edited by Blackleaf on 11/10/2013

The Tigers, actually cats in general, seem to know a decent amount about Parabola. Whether or not they’re engaged in studying it though, and if there are any human(er) Londoners assisting them with that study, is more ambiguous.

There might be some connection between The Revolutionaries’ device and green Parabola light/Memories of Light as well (The Calendar Council are all working for the Fingerkings!), but this is not at all an area I can claim to know much about.

Ah but the Nadir and the parabola are different. Close to eachother yes but they are two different kinds of realms.

As I understand it (and again, not at all an expert) the revolutionaries are certainly interested in the irrigo light of the Nadir, but I don’t know of anything that would exclude an interest in the other colors outside the usual spectrum. And if I’m mistaken, even if they’re only interested in irrigo it’s possible that their experiments up to that point have uncovered something about Parabola and its own special colors of light.

But yes. Either way, they’re not really a group dedicated to the study of Parabola, even if they may know about a part of it.

The WOI update will hopefully give us more info. Aftrr all it says it will be continued. Lets hope soon.

[li]
WOI?

And if you’re looking for Parabola study, there’s a LOT in the thread about the Fingerkings. The hallowmas path I went down revealed a lot as well, but before then very little concrete about Parabola existed. It’s supposed to be shrouded in mystery both inlore and to us due to its enigmatic nature, and this season gave more information in total than formerly was directly told. That being said, for tons of good speculation, check existing threads on the matter. Fingerkings, Neathly Mysteries, and some others are where you want to look.

Wars of Illusion.

My, my! I’m looking forward to this.[li]

With the recent hints in the Forgotten Quarter and Hallowmas content, I admit I have been rather curious about Parabola.

We know that it’s the land behind the mirrors, a place of verdant unreality, ruled by otherworldly serpents. We know that it borders our dreams - is it really where honey-dreamers go? Are the Fingerkings backstage to the honey-dreams, shaping their contents, providing temptations? If the Fingerkings covet our bodies and our world… presumably those menacing reflections we dream of are Fingerkings plotting to steal our lives. We see such serpents clothed in flesh in the Labyrinth - how many are free in the Neath? We know that other powers, past and present, have opposed the Fingerkings - who, why, and how? What creatures have the power to pass through mirrors - spiders, cats, the beings in the labyrinths; who else?

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]With the recent hints in the Forgotten Quarter and Hallowmas content, I admit I have been rather curious about Parabola.

We know that it’s the land behind the mirrors, a place of verdant unreality, ruled by otherworldly serpents. We know that it borders our dreams - is it really where honey-dreamers go? Are the Fingerkings backstage to the honey-dreams, shaping their contents, providing temptations? If the Fingerkings covet our bodies and our world… presumably those menacing reflections we dream of are Fingerkings plotting to steal our lives. We see such serpents clothed in flesh in the Labyrinth - how many are free in the Neath? We know that other powers, past and present, have opposed the Fingerkings - who, why, and how? What creatures have the power to pass through mirrors - spiders, cats, the beings in the labyrinths; who else?

The hallowmas content is quite interesting. Id love to see an actual canon encounter with the fingerkings. (( Hallowmas destinies were confirmed to be entirely non canon. To avoid paradoxes in the story. ))[li]

Wait seriously? Awwww, that’s no fun. And befuddles a lot of cool things I learned. And that kind of puts a lid on all the awesome things about Parabola we just found out. Shucks.[/li]

And Sir Frederick, you really need to get that albino posting looked at.[li]

Might be contagious.

When was that confirmed? I must have missed it. And why do my posts keep bleaching - I didn’t include anything unusual in the code!

Well, I don’t recall reading anything to that effect on the forums. I can’t find anything on Echo Bazaar’s twitter/Facebook, or Alexis Kennedy’s twitter, or even a new blog post on Failbetter’s website. Where is this confirmation you speak of?

[color=#009900]This is news to me. Can you point me to the original source of the misunderstanding so I can fix or clarify it?[/color][/li][li]
edited by Alexis on 11/12/2013

Ah my fault. Sorry, I read something very simmilar on failbetter games twitter. Yep looking at it now i confused what it meant by non canon.

To clarify Failbetter games twitter said that &quotTrading destinies&quot or something between characters or destinies being releated with eachother was impossible due to paradoxes. It was my incomptence that added the other stuff.
Still didn’t the hallowmas storylet say that like only 0.5% of everyone in London who has a vision of a destiny has a true one?
Edit: &quot One’s destiny is personal (and the causal paradoxes involved hurt our hearts and head). So sadly not. &quot -Failbetter games twitter. The tweet wich confused me. Really sorry for misleading anyone.[li]
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013

“A rash of visions troubles London. A chosen few have truly glimpsed their future, but everyone claims they have.” So, while we players have had prophetic dreams, a great many Londoners NPCs who didn’t have mysterious Hallowmas visitors and didn’t receive powerful Destinies are claiming they did too.

Still, How many users are registered on Fallen london? It’s not excactly " A chosen few ". And some destinies dont make any sense with eachother. They seem more like alternate timelines that cant always co exist.

[color=#009900]To put this one to bed: the Destinies could happen. They fit snugly with existing lore. They’re as canonical as anything else in-game. If you’re worrying about how many people might actually have signed up to conquer the Mountain, worry first about how many spare rooms the Soft-Hearted Widow has. :)[/color][li]

True. Thanks for the help Mr.Tiger! Now im intrigued by how the Parabola destiny ties into the story… Expecially the fatelocked option.
Also a random idea, The destinies dont seem like anything that applies to a certain person, More of a oppertunity. Not everyone will become the general conquering the mountain for example but everyone can dream of becoming one. (( This seems like the most logical solution to the paradox problem. ))[li]
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013