The study of Parabola ((Spoilers))

[quote=Blackleaf]To clarify Failbetter games twitter said that &quotTrading destinies&quot or something between characters or destinies being releated with eachother was impossible due to paradoxes. It was my incomptence that added the other stuff.
Still didn’t the hallowmas storylet say that like only 0.5% of everyone in London who has a vision of a destiny has a true one?
Edit: &quot One’s destiny is personal (and the causal paradoxes involved hurt our hearts and head). So sadly not. &quot -Failbetter games twitter. The tweet wich confused me. Really sorry for misleading anyone.
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013[/quote]

I think that 0.5% of &quoteveryone&quot is meant to reference the player characters, as opposed to NPCs. Then again, possibly some of the main NPCs could have had true dreams of the future in canon too - people like the Gracious Widow or the Duchess.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]With the recent hints in the Forgotten Quarter and Hallowmas content, I admit I have been rather curious about Parabola.

FOLLOWS SPOILER ABOUT PARABOLA[/quote]

Another couple of points:

[spoiler]Parabola borders Hell as well as dreams, meaning that either dreams and Parabola are a much more &quotreal&quot place than I thought, or that Hell is much less a physical place as it’s a kind of metaphysical reality, itself akin to dreams.

About the creatures that oppose the Fingerkings: for sure we know that the Devils have no known allegiance to them, and could actually become their enemies in the future, UNLESS they played a gambit of huge proportions. Also I don’t think the Masters have a good opinions of creatures basically plotting to invade our reality, starting with Fallen London. Another hint might be the fact that when embroiled in the Wars of Illusion, the faction using the Fingerkings’ powers to their own advantage were the magicians of the Glass, and they were helped by bats, opposed by the spiritists of the Shroud and their cats helpers. Should this mean that bats are allied to the Fingerkings and cats oppose them? I would have guessed the opposite. Then again, magicians themselves seem to be growing weary of their allegiance to the Fingerkngs - the ending storylet for the Glass side of the Wars of Illusions seems to depict a lot of suspect, bordering of fear, towards the creatures that allow such magnificent illusions, like the magicians were starting to think they were just tools in the hands of ther &quotallies&quot Fingerkings.

On a different topic about Parabola: the Serpentine medals seem to tell a short fairytale about a little serpent that seems to be an allegory for the Fingerkings. According to this mythos, the Fingerkings would hac+ve enlisted the help of the &quotgrumpiest bee of all&quot to create the Exile’s Rose so to produce Red Honey, with the ultimate end to bring people into Parabola - possibly to take their skin to wear, and then replace them in the &quotreal&quot world. The exact identity of this &quotgrumpiest bee&quot is currently unknown as I know of. I wonder if Nemesis Ambition will deal with it sooner or later, having already thrown references to Red Honey and such? [/spoiler]

I sure hope. Still, The fignerkings are peculiar. They are even willing to let the player leave parabola in the silver destiny. (( At the cost of some reality bending fate sure but still. ))

[quote=Blackleaf]True. Thanks for the help Mr.Tiger! Now im intrigued by how the Parabola destiny ties into the story… Expecially the fatelocked option.
Also a random idea, The destinies dont seem like anything that applies to a certain person, More of a oppertunity. Not everyone will become the general conquering the mountain for example but everyone can dream of becoming one. (( This seems like the most logical solution to the paradox problem. ))[/quote]

There’s an even easier fix to the paradox problem - the players don’t all exist in the same Fallen London. Social Actions are just meant to be fun ways to play with other people, and allow for these sorts of events, but there’s only one player per instance of Fallen London. At least that was always my interpretation of things.

[quote=Sara Hysaro][quote=Blackleaf]True. Thanks for the help Mr.Tiger! Now im intrigued by how the Parabola destiny ties into the story… Expecially the fatelocked option.
Also a random idea, The destinies dont seem like anything that applies to a certain person, More of a oppertunity. Not everyone will become the general conquering the mountain for example but everyone can dream of becoming one. (( This seems like the most logical solution to the paradox problem. ))[/quote]

There’s an even easier fix to the paradox problem - the players don’t all exist in the same Fallen London. Social Actions are just meant to be fun ways to play with other people, and allow for these sorts of events, but there’s only one player per instance of Fallen London. At least that was always my interpretation of things.[/quote]
Thats a bit of a wierd solution. Still wasnt there an ambition a while before that was scrapped but litterarly involved the player finding out wether fallen london was real or not?
[li]

You know, I’m still puzzled about THAT. As in, it would seem that there’s only one Destiny allowing you to leave Parabola, and it’s Fate-locked, but some of the other ones seem to imply that the player character is able to leave. For example, the Non-Fate-locked Red-Handed Queen result:

[spoiler][i]&quotI have my labours here. I’ll need to complete them before I return. But she’ll prepare the path for me, to be the King Underneath.&quot

&quotThe power she owns! To have such a piece in my hand… She can slay as easily as cholera. She can draw up mystery like water from a well. And I rather think she might wear the flesh of the Empress…&quot

&quotI could rule London, some day. Or I could set her loose on the Surface.&quot[/i][/spoiler]

Basically, it seems to me that even the non-Fate-locked destinies seem to imply to the fact that the player characer is not a prisoner, but a host, or at least only temporary secluded in Parabola. Though some of the destinies definitely are unclear as of the exact outcome (including the one I chose, freeing the Genial Magician). The greates question is if there are destinies that allow to fight the Fingerkings instead of allying with them; only one of the destinies seems to possibly hint this course of acton, and VERY obliquely, if at all.

Yep, Enigma. I’m not sure if it was actually planned or just a joke from the start, however. And I don’t think it’s that weird. If we were all existing in the same Fallen London there would be a lot of competition for things there can only be one of, like being the Department Head in the University. We’re all in our own instance of Fallen London. Social Actions are just for better gameplay.

The storylet specificly states you have been chosen as a huntsman. Basicly you are a servant of the fingerkings that is given the abillity to leave parabola but only to bring back new prisoners. The fatelocked option RELEASES you from their command and makes you free to do whatever you please with the powers that were given to you. (( Not a spoiler or fatelocked dialogue. It says so on the option not the results. )) The red handed queen seems to imply that the player is still a servant of the fingerkings but now allied with the queen and able to command part of the neath togheter with her when the fingerkings allow it. One of the storylets even mention how the fingerkings are incredebly dependant on the player bringing back prisoners so they whould probably allow you a vacation now and then. So basicly, They are really powerful and enigmatic but they arnt dicks or poweer addicts. They do seem to have some strange plans for the neath though.

Interesting. That whould help resolve the problem with ambitions. Now to find out in what order the destinies come… The drowning feast and parabola destiny seems to be able to take place any time. The liberation of the eternal night or the journey however seem a bit strange. We have a set date for the expedition to the mountain though.

[li]

Well, the possible futures are probably specific to the player character, in which case not all the Destinies will come to pass. Unless you mean how far into the future these are occurring, in which case I’d say Chill of the Void is probably the furthest away.

Edit: Assuming of course there isn’t some way to bypass the whole 7 Cities thing. There very well might be.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/12/2013

That’s what I had thought, but the Red-Handed Queen’s spoiler explicitly says you’re planning to come back as the King of Underneath, that would seem to imply your ultimate freedom from the Huntsman’s duties. The Genial Magician’s ending is much less clear, but it does seem to imply that you have a plan requiring his assistance, though the exact nature of this plan is left in the dark. And without going into details as they’re dependant on Fate-Locked prerequisites, the Bishop and the Devilish Diplomat endings also seem to imply your ultimate return to London, not just on vacation. So I may be mistaken, but my impression is that most of the Castle of Forests destinies suggest your ultimate freedom from Parabola; the main difference with the Fate-Locked ending being the moment this happens, and the powers that you are able to retain.

Yep. The fingerkings are a strange bunch. And Parabola is a strange place! Lets hope for more story involving it! A quick thanks to you people here in the thread, this has been a great discussion so far but i dont really know what else to talk about now :P

There are bees everywhere in the mythos, and I cannot figure out what it all means. Bees carry the airs of the Garden. Bees carry us to the land of dreams. And what, exactly, is the relationship between devils, bees, and death? A question loaded with maddening hints and misdirection, as is everything to do with the devils. I had to do some searching to figure out which rose was which - the black roses produce prisoner’s honey, and the red roses from hell - the Exile’s Roses - produce gaoler’s honey. Does that sound about right?

There are bees everywhere in the mythos, and I cannot figure out what it all means. Bees carry the airs of the Garden. Bees carry us to the land of dreams. And what, exactly, is the relationship between devils, bees, and death? A question loaded with maddening hints and misdirection, as is everything to do with the devils. I had to do some searching to figure out which rose was which - the black roses produce prisoner’s honey, and the red roses from hell - the Exile’s Roses - produce gaoler’s honey. Does that sound about right?

Bees produce honey. Honey is tied to dreams. &quot None shall enter save those that sip honey. &quot &quot None shall leave save those who devour &quot It makes me wonder. Is the garden of life in parabola? In a dream? The sword of fire and the sword of ice ties into Parabola’s elemental nature. On a side note how do i make the spoiler thing? Ive tried the [spoiler] thing and it wont work[li][/li][li]
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013[/li][li]
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013

The trick to spoiler tags is that you can only have one set per post. So, if you’re quoting someone who posted a spoiler, it’s best to just cut out the spoiler-y parts of their post so you can spoiler-tag your own contribution.

The sword of fire… I’m not an expert, but isn’t that biblical? Sword of fire guarding the gates of the Garden of Eden, or some such? I’ve wondered the same thing about the Garden and about Parabola. I’m a bit fuzzy on the relation between the Garden and the Mountain of Light - they’re both of interest to the Dilmun Club, but I haven’t read the relevant lore closely enough to get them clear in my head.

[spoiler] Personaly it whouldn’t suprise me if the elder continent also borders on Parabola, Simmilar to Hell.
Perhaps at the top of the mountain is a gateway to Parabola. The first rose medal say &quot He whose approaches in winter shall be met by a sword of fire and he who approaches in summer shall be met with a sword of ice. &quot Or something like that. If the bees seem connected to both Parabola and the Garden. It really makes me wonder if Parabola and the garden are one of the same. I hope we will soon gain new storylets releated to this. I need to make a few more trips to the nadir to get all the cards though so thats also something that needs study.[li]
edited by Blackleaf on 11/12/2013

Given the name of the place, it personally wouldn’t surprise me if pretty much everywhere borders Parabola. But if the regular world is our directrix and Parabola is our… parabola, then what’s the focal point?

[spoiler]
Not sure. Still, I dont think the answer lies in the mathametics, more of the secrets. Also im not very good at it :P I wonder if we will ever get a map of Parabola. Im grinding “Dreams of chess” for the House of chimes option. Ill return when i have the results for that.

[spoiler]There is a connection between the Garden of Eden and a flaming sword - according to the Scripture such a weapon was given to the… I can’t remember if it was a Cherubim or a Seraphim… guarding it after Adam and Eve were banished. Can’t recall a sword of ice though.

The theory of Parabola bordering everything, a bit like the Astral Plane in the Dungeons and Dragons cosmology, starts to seem sound - either that, or Parabola is a sort of &quothub&quot around which all other corners of reality are ordered. Or maybe the answer is just simpler - the form of a parable represented on a cartesian plane is a sort of curved line - looking a bit like a reversed mountain, does it? Now, &quotthe&quot Mountain is said to be daughter of the Bazaar, and moving… That should mean that it is by no means just an ordinary mountain. So I wonder whether the Mountain could be related to Parabola, or possibly be just the same thing - though I read the Mountain moves in the Unterzee, while Parabola, apparently, does not. But if Parabola was, say, a mirror image of the Mountain, AND the Mountain was somehow related to the Garden of Eden, that would explain both the Serpents presence and the lush vegetation in Parabola.[/spoiler]

We are just coming up with theory after theory. We are worse than the university at this rate but it is glorious!

Yes. Yes, it is _

Now I’m wondering about the mirror nature of Parabola. Could it be something like a polar opposite of Eden? The snake in Eden caused the Fall of Adam, sending him out of the Garden and into the material world. Could it be the reason why the serpents in Parabola want to do the opposite - bring humans into Parabola, and take their place in the material world?