The Screaming Map [possibly SPOILERS]

Alive and kicking… Erm… Screaming ^^ The main point is - do we need three halves to make a complete map, or just two? O_o

According to the storylet in our lodgings, it’s just two.

PHEW I am completely inept on the Dreaded side, good news I shouldn’t need it ^^

But according to the one in the House of Chimes, it’s three or more. Except that guy’s probably just drunk.

[quote=Patrick Reding]
But according to the one in the House of Chimes, it’s three or more. Except that guy’s probably just drunk.[/quote]

No, I didn’t mean the text of the storylet that starts you on the story, I meant [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]the fact that there’s a storylet in your lodgings which has an option unlocks with two items, a “Screaming Map: Right half” and a “Screaming Map: Left half”. [/color]

It may be the case that one of these halves is itself ripped in twain and so you need to do all three of the search storylets, though.
edited by M_L_G on 3/15/2012

[quote=M_L_G][quote=Patrick Reding]
But according to the one in the House of Chimes, it’s three or more. Except that guy’s probably just drunk.[/quote]

No, I didn’t mean the text of the storylet that starts you on the story, I meant [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]the fact that there’s a storylet in your lodgings which has an option unlocks with two items, a “Screaming Map: Right half” and a “Screaming Map: Left half”. [/color]

It may be the case that one of these halves is itself ripped in twain and so you need to do all three of the search storylets, though.
edited by M_L_G on 3/15/2012[/quote]
Ah, sorry. I never saw that option. Thanks for pointing it out.

I found this storylet via an opportunity card, in which I was told it was in “three halves, mebbe. Mebbe more.” That, and the fact that we have three different people to deal with, say to me that we need three pieces…unless we’re to believe that the Astronomer is going to obtain the piece from the Clay man, which would beg the question of why can’t he get us the one from the Officer instead? Because they can’t both have the exact same piece of the map unless this item is far less unique than we’ve been led to believe.

As far as the randomness goes, I think the thing to remember is that not every story is going to appeal to everyone, and it’s nice to change things up now and then so people who like (whatever) will have something to enjoy. For my part, I loathe the Fidgeting Writer storyline, and gave up after failing at stage 1 on my first try and then stage 2 on my second try. The luck thing is not for me. But I don’t mind that it exists, and it doesn’t appear to be any sort of “main story” content that I feel I have to do in order to move on to something else, so I can safely ignore it.

Similarly, this storyline has the option to try your luck, but you could just pay your way through. There’s plenty of precedent for storylines/places that require you to pay goods to advance (huge quantities of rats/wine/etc), and you can just look at this one the same way if you don’t feel like gambling on it.

[color=00ffff]It’s very simple.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]There are three halves. You only need two of them: a left-hand one and a right-hand one.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]What’s confusing about that?[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]Oh. Er.[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]:)[/color]

I think of it like this: the right-hand half is a tenor, and the left-hand halves are a bass and a baritone. You need a tenor and one other singer to do the duet.

That doesn’t make it any clearer, but it’s a really funny image.

The sea of voices is now open to those with a screaming map! But with the wait timer, is it possible for anyone to have even one half of a screaming map yet? I must say, I am not a fan of the real-time waiting for actual story things, particularly when the stories are just out there tantalizingly out of reach and I have nothing to do today but continue grind miscellaneous items and wait.

KatarinaNavane - nope. Does seem a wee bit silly to open up a storyline before it’s possible for anyone to play it, I agree! (And I’m quite happy with the new real-time waiting thing, all in all, because it stops me from burning through new content quite as quickly!)

Edited to add: but I’m v. excited to play it! It sounds really fun :)
edited by Lady Red on 3/15/2012

[color=00ffff]We’re announcing it now (a) to build anticipation and (b) because we’ve got another major announcement planned for tomorrow. :)[/color]
[color=00ffff]And to catch the people who missed Tuesday’s announcement - this is such an enormous chunk of content it was worth announcing in stages.[/color]

So now Polytreme is open to those with a map. Which would be lovely, except nobody has a map. I can’t help but picture a sad clay man standing by the shores of the Sea of Voices, carrying a homemade “WELCOME LONDONERS” banner and wondering why nobody has shown up yet.

:) - I MADE PUNCH. EVEN GOT PUNCH TO STOP SCREAMING. WHY AM I SO ALONE?

The Naval Officer just showed up in my lodgings with his map half. Now to wait for the Clay Man and his half to arrive there. :)

It would be delightful to be able to carry a message for or get a letter of introduction to helpful folks in Polythreme from the Clay Coalman.

So do you get a message when the Naval Officer shows up, like the other timer content? My Lodgings are all tidy and I made biscuits, but he’s taking his time. twiddles thumbs

I logged in and saw the message under “Recently” on my messages page.

Since I started this a bit late since I was zipping through the Underzee on another mission when the announcement arrived, I suspect it may take some time for my map half to arrive. I have not yet been able to go hunting for the second half – do you get to start that immediately, or is there another wait?

I am inching closer to certain very fine lodgings indeed, as well as attempting to replace my animals lost to the Bifurcated Owl, so it’s more a question of how to twiddle efficiently.

You can start trying for the second half as soon as you get the first one from the Disgruntled Naval Officer in your lodgings.
edited by Maddyanne on 3/15/2012
edited by Maddyanne on 3/15/2012

Thanks for the info!