The Screaming Map [possibly SPOILERS]

[quote=LukeMcMillan][quote=CalicoJack]I’ve tried twice to track the first guy, and failed by 3 points each time. Though I’m really excited to get the map and be on my merry way, I’m really hating the process of getting it.

Failbetter, I hope you’re reading this post because I want to say something. I really, really love the game and you guys, but I absolutely hate the way you’re padding the recent stories. I get that you need some way to stop us top-level, endgame players from blasting through it in one sitting, but chance based mechanics I can’t affect, sometimes without the option to use Fate or rare resources to ensure success? No thanks.

I’ve not been able to get past the 5th storylet in the Fidgeting Writer story because since it’s been released, I’ve used up ALL my resources to unlock the higher tiers in constant retries of it. And now that I’ve been so frustrated by it, I have no interest in buying and changing the resources needed to keep playing it. Unless the mechanics for it change to something I have more control over winning or a simple Fate option, I’m probably not gonna touch it again. And I’ve completed pretty much every other piece of content you have to offer, simply because I love the game that much.

But I do not want a story thread where I’m forced to rely on luck to get by. Please, if you want to pad it out, find a different method.[/quote]

I don’t really think it’s too bad… you have a “cheap” option that needs a bit of luck, a more expensive but “safe” one, and the Fate. Contrary to the Fidgeting Writer which was just a luck chain.[/quote]

Yeah, at the time it was bugged for me and I couldn’t see the “pay Glim” option. But still, luck chains are an awful idea.

[color=00ffff]Come on, people. Of course we can run multiple timers at once. :)[/color]
[color=00ffff]
[/color]
[color=00ffff]Time delayed effects can serve a variety of functions: balance, pacing, engagement, storytelling, and creating the sense of an active (not simply passive) world.[/color]

Currently, the only items I have that give me bonuses are my Bandaged Raven, and my Tigress. I’m saving up for a Immaculate Frock coat, but that’ll just give me a point in everything.

You can also grab a ratskin suit for a point of dreaded, and get the bejewelled cane for a point of bizarre. There’s also pets available for the qualities: Tigress for dreaded and overgoat for bizarre, for those with deep pockets, and salt weasel for respectable and rubbery euphonium for bizarre, for those who are lucky. So, it’s definitely possible to hit 2 in a given quality before becoming a PoSI

Ah, didn’t notice that my suit gave me a point of dreaded. Guess I’ll try that path, and get a third/half of the map.

I also think the Haunted-Looking Dog gives +1 Dreaded in addition to the +3 Watchful.

That would indeed make sense, with the euphonium giving bizarre and the weasel giving respectable. Though, I wonder what the rumored My Little Fungal Pony gives, if it indeed truly exists in Watchmaker’s Hill.

Well, with my Tiger and Ratskin suit, I got to high-risk, and succeeded after 3 failures. Now to finish getting PoSI while I wait
edited by Myke Harryson on 3/14/2012

Doh. I entirely missed that in the initial description. I thought it was in three pieces, and was already agonizing over the possibility of having to swap my beloved Scruffy Kitten for something more Bizarre… :)

I suspect I’ve missed something, but could someone please confirm that once you have one map piece (in my case, the right-hand piece) you can no longer get the other(s)? Because I finished the story and found the Disgruntled Naval Officer (and got the message to wait for 2 real-time days for a message) but now the storylet to get further pieces has vanished. Do I have to wait until the first piece is delivered before I can look for the next? Because that doesn’t make much sense.

[quote=travellersside]Delay.

It’s to build interest and more importantly, stop us running through all the new content within 24 hours of initial release. A lot of new content seems to have some kind of delay involved, whether that be luck checks, items that can’t be farmed directly or delay timers. We get through content far, far faster than it’s released, so by introducing a delay mechanism of some kind, it takes us longer. We may not always like the artificial delays, but their presence means that we possess content for longer before finishing it, which in turn leads to less sitting around complaining that there’s nothing new to do.[/quote]

I think that’s exactly right; I believe it is the intention of the designers to do things that way–not bad code.

Huh. I got to the end of the Masked Clay Man option for the right-hand side of the map, and the Finding the Screaming Map storylet duly disappeared (as others have reported). Now it seems to be back again. ((In fact, I appear to have the option to chase the Masked Clay Man again, should I for some reason desire to)) I tell to you a lie - actually, that option is still locked, even though all the pre-reqs are shown as met.

Anyone else encountering this? Did our delicious hosts patch something in the dark of the night…?

(And why do strike-through tags no longer seem to work here?)
edited by Quil on 3/14/2012
edited by Quil on 3/14/2012

[quote=Quil]

Doh. I entirely missed that in the initial description. I thought it was in three pieces, and was already agonizing over the possibility of having to swap my beloved Scruffy Kitten for something more Bizarre… :)[/quote]

At first I think I read something about three pieces too, but then it clearly mentions a “left half” and “right half”; probably it’s to avoid the need of upping all three new Qualities to make progress in this story.

Its (fairly clearly) said the map was broken into three halfs. Now of course, since three halfs means a map and half to most people, then we assume they mispoke. You just have to think in 5th dimensional non-Euclidean geometery to understand the three-halves thing :)

[quote=Quil]Huh. I got to the end of the Masked Clay Man option for the right-hand side of the map, and the Finding the Screaming Map storylet duly disappeared (as others have reported). Now it seems to be back again. ((In fact, I appear to have the option to chase the Masked Clay Man again, should I for some reason desire to)) I tell to you a lie - actually, that option is still locked, even though all the pre-reqs are shown as met.

Anyone else encountering this? Did our delicious hosts patch something in the dark of the night…?[/quote]

I’m currently in progress in the Cat-and-Mouse challenge, and that matches what I see on the Screaming Map storylet as well as the Implacable Detective’s Business Card. I believe the note that "[You will need to complete any other Cat and Mouse activities before you can do this.]" has also appeared since last I looked at it.

In general, it appears that a requirement along the lines of “Quality X less than Y” can’t be displayed as an icon. (In most cases, that makes sense- if the requirement is “you don’t already have what this story gives you”, you wouldn’t want to know what that is in advance) In almost all cases, failing that requirement will hide the option, but there are a few places where it’ll show up with all the visible requirements met but still locked. The other one I recall is the Parthanaeum card, which tells you in the text that you need a low Scandal.

But - two of the proprietors have something called the “right half”. Are they two different halves? I thought either one was enough to complete the map. O_o

If someone who has not yet started the storyline could post the text, I’m pretty sure it would show that there are three halves. Alternatively, I’ve spent too much time in my room in the Royal Bethlehem

Hmm. The story let has reappeared (I am in the wait time for my first half as so man others are) but all the options appear locked although the requirements are met and I’m not engaging in any cat and mouse activities. If there is some kind of secret requirement, I hope we can figure out what it is.

Yes you are. Check. When you finally convince them to deliver the map, it doesnt take away your “Cat and Mouse” quality under Story. That will be removed when the map is delivered, I’m assuming.

perhaps I’m honey-mazed, but is it possible that the reason there are 3 halves is because it was torn in half once and one of the halves grew back? the blasted cartographer’s scrawling is mentioned to be alive if I recall