The Screaming Map [possibly SPOILERS]

Has anyone else noticed that the luck-based option for the Time is passing part of getting the right side of the map (in the Cat and Mouse bit) has has eight written out as a word, whereas the resource-based option has it as the number 8?

So I just got my map scrap. Do I need to track down a different individual to get a different piece? Or do I have to find it another way?

…I hate this story. I can’t afford any more dreaded, so, I just spent 90 echos on glim. GLIM!

That’s horrible luck…

Im assuming that most people take the challenge at high risk, right? How many trys did it take them??? This is…so difficult…le sigh

You need to go to Wolfstack Docks and choose one of the other folks. The Naval Officer(Respectable challenge) has the left half of the map and your other 2 choices both have the right half. Pick whichever one (Masked Clay Man/Dreaded or Enterprising Astronomer/Bizarre) you have the best chance at if you’ve already done the Naval Officer. Or the Naval Officer if you did either of those.

I had 4 failurs with the one that takes Partial Maps with it as a red challenge (I think that’s high-risk, right?)

I did it at Chancy. Obdurate Stallion, Criminal Gang, and Ratskin Suit.

I played it at [color=rgb(255, 204, 0)]modest[/color], myself, with a Ratwork Velocipede, Gang of Hoodlums, Ratskin Suit, and Buifurcated Owl. I passed it on the first try, too.

I lucked out and got the Dreaded challenge at high-risk on my first try. So now I think I’m going to spend enough resources to ensure success. ([color=#ffffff]12 Echoes’ worth to auto-pass the first eight challenges; it might be cheaper if you have a “spend two Mouse to get 10 Cat” option, but the Clay Man doesn’t. If you luck out and pass the 9th, you get the 60-point bonus of 12.50 Echoes of goods, recouping your investment.[/color])

It’s an interesting little mechanic- is it adapted from a particular game of chance, or is it just an extension of the usual sorts of interesting risk/reward decisions?

Well, I’m out of actions from my refresh, and at 21/50 Cat with 6 Mouse left. Just need to find something to sell so I can buy more honey to give the Naval Officers his visions and I’ll be waiting for my second half. I really wish this stuff haven’t been released the day after a major purchase bankrupted me, lol. I will sacrifice to get to Pythreme however!

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=Branden Linton]

We were talking about it on Twitter, and it seems who gets 60 has to wait too, but has a bonus of 1 Puzzling Map (Thanks, Nathan Attford and MidnightVoyager!).
edited by streetfelineblue on 3/13/2012[/quote]

That’s correct; you need the first half of the map to unlock the storylet necessary to chase the second.

Finally got this thing put together! Now, to sea!

How long does it take for the Clay Coalman to deliver your map piece?

I waited two days for each piece, I think.

Sounds about right.

Yeah. Might be one. I wasn’t keeping a very accurate count.

My wait for the first piece was 48 hours long. If not exactly, then close enough as made no real odds. Assuming the next piece will take just as long, I won’t get my second for roughly another 30 hours. I’m amazed that some people actually have a full map already.

Do the lesser or greater successes at the ends of the Cat & Mouse games make a difference in wait-time?

Confronting results with people getting lesser and greater successes, we’d say no; only, the greater success yields a bonus item reward - at least that’s our impression.