The Rat of Glory...

Well now we know what happened to all the anti-candles. Clearly the Rats of Glory consumed them all just as Neathmas was beginning.

So, the Rat of Glory no longer appears to have the 77 Fate branch, correct?..

Mine did this morning, Genesis. Have they changed?

– Mal

Seemingly…

edited by genesis on 12/7/2015
edited by genesis on 12/7/2015

How strange. I wonder why…

Oh such a season of CHANGE! What fun what fun what FUN!

I’ve never seen that, so it must’ve been already removed when I logged in. What did it do?

Give you enigmas without risking candle-theft.

… I feel rather foolish. I thought it was Scuttling Squid. The mental image was…confusing.

That’s not my experience. My alt tried to burn it for Enigmas, failed the Watchful check, and lost both Foxfire Candles (only 18, I think, but still) and some Mourning Candles (a smallish number, but still).[/quote]

Are you sure? The wiki only has losing the rat as the result for failure on the check.[/quote]

Yes, though I probably can’t prove it. I should check to see what I echoed to her Journal.

It’s worth noting that the &quotrare&quot success on this seems a lot less rare than beneficial rare successes. Whereas I’ve been grinding rare successes in the Flit for about 200 actions and not gotten a single one, this one triggered on the third attempt. Yeah, it could be random chance… but it probably isn’t.
edited by Ruddertail on 12/8/2015

[quote=Ruddertail]It’s worth noting that the &quotrare&quot success on this seems a lot less rare than beneficial rare successes. Whereas I’ve been grinding rare successes in the Flit for about 200 actions and not gotten a single one, this one triggered on the third attempt. Yeah, it could be random chance… but it probably isn’t.
edited by Ruddertail on 12/8/2015[/quote]
What rare successes are you looking for? If you’re seeking to involve yourself in the Wars of Illusion, for some reason only the first two options on the two relevant storylets actually have the rare success. Also how did you have three attempts? The Rat should be consumed on use and if you’re backing out using second chances then you don’t get any effect from failing it the first go.

In any case, three attempts are definitely not enough to determine any statistically significant result.
edited by Optimatum on 12/8/2015

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Ruddertail]It’s worth noting that the &quotrare&quot success on this seems a lot less rare than beneficial rare successes. Whereas I’ve been grinding rare successes in the Flit for about 200 actions and not gotten a single one, this one triggered on the third attempt. Yeah, it could be random chance… but it probably isn’t.
edited by Ruddertail on 12/8/2015[/quote]
What rare successes are you looking for? If you’re seeking to involve yourself in the Wars of Illusion, for some reason only the first two options on the two relevant storylets actually have the rare success. Also how did you have three attempts? The Rat should be consumed on use and if you’re backing out using second chances then you don’t get any effect from failing it the first go.

In any case, three attempts are definitely not enough to determine any statistically significant result.
edited by Optimatum on 12/8/2015[/quote]

Second chances, yes. The third attempt was a rare &quotsuccess&quot.

I’m not claiming any empirical value, I’m just suspecting that rare successes don’t mean the same percentage chance for different storylets/items. It’d be interesting to see how other people report back on that.

Rare successes are definitely set by storylet rather than across the board. The more rewarding a success is, the less likely it is to occur and vice versa. Rare successes are actually also used in places for different result texts or outcomes on success. For example, in Sunless Sea quite a few cache of curiosities values have a 50% to pay out with different items as do many storylet rewards. The only example from FL itself that comes to mind right now is that the fountain in the Temple Club has four different results all of equal chance, two on success and two on failure. I don’t know if it’s possible to have multiple rare/alternative results on one option.

Behold the cat is another great example of rare successes and failures. anyways, it’s worth noting that whilst luck challenges sit at a fixed 10/20/30/etc percentage, rare successes (or alternative successes, they’re mechanically exactly the same thing) meanwhile can have a chance of happening as low as 1%. This is on top of an initial luck check, so theoretically it could be possible to have an event that only has a .1% chance of occurring.

Anyways, I think it’s possible to have multiple alternative successes inside an action. Just, not in the way you think. The successes have to be nested, so for example there’s 3 different results to ‘A cautious approach’

There’s a 50% chance that Rival’s Progress doesn’t get mentioned, that’s result A.
There’s a 50% chance that Rival’s Progress WILL get mentioned, which is result B.

Now in result B there’s a 50% (25% overall) chance that Rival’s Progress will increase, result B1.
And then there’s the flip side which is B2 where Rival’s Progress just gets mentioned.

Not sure if that counts or if there’s another way for multiple alt/rare successes, I haven’t messed about with storynexus.

I haven’t looked at Rival’s Progress in some time (though I do recall trying to figure out the exact mechanics of it and not quite getting all the way). But in terms of B1/B2 what I think might be happening is that you gain Rival’s Progress 0-1 (much like you can gain 10-100 x Rostygold, for example). So it’s not so much that you have nested alternate results but that you have a randomised quality change

You can also have luck challenges followed by a rare success or a rare failure, leading to four outcomes of entirely adjustable %. Not sure if nested is possible though. Rare successes definitely have different frequencies; robbing the drunk rat for a watch is very low, maybe 1% or less, others are as high as 50%. Anecdotal evidence leads me to guess that the Rat of Glory chance of saboteurs is 10%, but you can take that with a grain of salt… especially if you are terrified of losing candles.

On the other hand I suspect the things about your Rat of Glory blowing up at any time or upon being sent to a friend are just tales to scare small chandlers. Nobody’s ever seen it happen. There’s no evidence it’s possible (without a lot of code rewriting and database scraping). That Armageddon switch isn’t real. Or is it? OR IS IT?!

Well you could find out, send me your Rats of Glory for science! ;)

Well if you want to go crazy, I assume you can like have four success each linking to another storylet with more success linking to more storylet and…

wow. got 6(!) Searing Enigmas out of a single Rat ‘o’ Glory. i think it’s worth the risk of asking people to send you the waxy rats just for that.

Except that most people who’re sane are just selling mourning candles and then using the rat, since the average return on sucess is 250 echoes. Or, for new players, using it to get skuttering squads.