The Rat of Glory...

Has anyone managed to successfully transfer a Rat of Glory? I’m trying to accept one, but it’s saying that the sender no longer has the qualities to send it. The qualities to send it, as far as I can tell are “you must have 1 x Rat of Glory.” However, the action to send it removes the Rat of Glory! Thus, it can never be received. I think Mr Lacan would have something to say about this; a letter always arrives at its destination, indeed. grumble grumble jouissance desire schemes of Mr Derrida pout

I think the recepient shouldn’t have any Rats of Glory either. And I think Storynexus treats recepient qualities as sender qualities (i.e. the sender quality that is missing is “Your recepient has no Rats of Glory”). So if you already have a Rat of Glory that might be an issue…

Seekers might not be, but you did qualify that with &quotmost people who’re sane.&quot

I took the action to send my RoG and it hasn’t been accepted yet. The Rat is still in my inventory. Are you sure the sender didn’t use their RoG for something else after they sent it to you?

That would be me; I wouldn’t even consider hiring one for several months (or at least weeks, now that I’ve managed to finish the Fidgeting Writer story for the first time and have almost 500 echoes in the bank), so this was a wonderful gift from the Bazaar. The best thing is that I can now save (or sell) that second Primaeval Hint I’d been considering to feed my Philosophical Raven Advisor. Upgrading both birds to their respective final forms (+7 Watchful or Shadowy) is costly—one reason I haven’t yet bought a Diary of the Dead is that I’ve been half-hoping to find one in the Advent Calendar. The Squad is better, so I’ll probably keep my ravens in their current state until I’m particularly wealthy and bored.

Seekers might not be, but you did qualify that with &quotmost people who’re sane.&quot

I took the action to send my RoG and it hasn’t been accepted yet. The Rat is still in my inventory. Are you sure the sender didn’t use their RoG for something else after they sent it to you?[/quote]
Well, yeah, except seekers seem to be often deliberately losing their candle- nitebrite, for instance- so they can try the new content when it’s released, and lose everything all over again. I prefixed it with most people who’re sane because some people are instead gifting these exceptionally rare rats… like me. Now, I’m not saying that’s crazy, just that i’m passing on ~160 echoes if they fail one use in three.

More on topic, the new player who tried to recieve mine found they couldn’t either, and i’m almost certain they used their rat-of-glory first. Now, there is a low chance i’m wrong, but that is a chance. I don’t know the why, after all i just know that they aren’t capable of accepting the invite, and have a skuttering squad.

so, yeah, the rat sending is likely glitched. oh well.

[quote=Sackville]

I took the action to send my RoG and it hasn’t been accepted yet. The Rat is still in my inventory. Are you sure the sender didn’t use their RoG for something else after they sent it to you?[/quote]

Really? I just tried on an alt and sending it results in a quality change of &quotYou’ve lost 1 x Rat of Glory (new total 0).&quot with a rather ordinary story-text of &quotFold the wrappings over / Its accusing snout disappears.&quot That sounds quite like an ordinary &quotyou sent it off to your friend&quot message, but removes the rat, making it impossible to receive.

@Duke of Waltham, you can get a Diary of the Dead on a Rare success upconverting Aeolian Screams. Not that it’s a thing to wait for, but I happened to luck into it, so if you have a few lying around…

– Mal

[quote=metasynthie][quote=Sackville]

Really? I just tried on an alt and sending it results in a quality change of &quotYou’ve lost 1 x Rat of Glory (new total 0).&quot with a rather ordinary story-text of &quotFold the wrappings over / Its accusing snout disappears.&quot That sounds quite like an ordinary &quotyou sent it off to your friend&quot message, but removes the rat, making it impossible to receive.[/quote]
Interesting. so that’s the cause of the loss. nBetter submit a bug report.

[quote=metasynthie][quote=Sackville]

Really? I just tried on an alt and sending it results in a quality change of &quotYou’ve lost 1 x Rat of Glory (new total 0).&quot with a rather ordinary story-text of &quotFold the wrappings over / Its accusing snout disappears.&quot That sounds quite like an ordinary &quotyou sent it off to your friend&quot message, but removes the rat, making it impossible to receive.[/quote]
Maybe one of those occurrences involves a rat that is now planning to steal some candles? Because apparently sending it has a risk of activating it. For the sender or for the receiver though? Doesn’t say.

edited by Gillsing on 12/8/2015

I echoed the text and took a picture of the outstanding action, and I just checked and the RoG is definitely still in my inventory. I did send mine to Mr Eaten, though, so maybe that’s why it’s wonky?

More likely, though, something is glitched if it’s working differently for you than it did for me.

That’s not regular Seekers. That’s NiteBrite, who is on a whole different level.

NiteBrite is to other Seekers as Seekers are to normal players. :-)

Personally, I’m not taking any chances with my Seeking candles, despite the potential loss of profits I could have got from activating the Rat of Glory.

Well anyone who doesn’t want to risk using their Rat of Glory can feel free to send it to me. Then I could use a bunch at once for Science. Or at least for Satistics and Quick Profit.

Where would we be without Science?

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Where would we be without Science?

– Mal[/quote]
We’d have magic, ofc. the mages method sounds pretty snazzy, doesn’t it.

Any sufficiently mislabled magic is indistiguishable from technology.

Um, ok - daft question alert. I opened the window, got sent my Rat of Glory but can’t find her anywhere in either items or equipment. Is this a glitch or am I being dense - where should she appear??

Ratness. which would be where rats of other types are kept, such as vengerats and, well, generally rats.

Well, this thread proved a lot more popular than expected… although it also wandered quite a bit off topic right quick. :P Not that I mind. Enough said, it seems like nobody really knows for sure what’ll happen if you hang on to a rat. But since I have no immediate need for more Searing Enigmas, and no use for a Scuttering Squad (already got a Laconic Prodigy, who is better at literally everything and won’t pick fights with the cat), I think I may just keep it. If nothing else, I may wind up discovering a rarely-seen ‘spontaneous awakening’ storylet I can mirror. ^_^

Good luck! Gloria’s been holding onto hers since the last time they were given out without any activity of any sort. Now she has two…I wonder if that will make any difference.

Ratness. which would be where rats of other types are kept, such as vengerats and, well, generally rats.[/quote]

Thank you Grenem. For, ahem, making my Glory Rat appear where she definitely wasn’t last time I looked.

Speaking of Rat of Glory, isnt he like the best echo to action conversion in game history, and you can basically make new accounts and just get yourself some cider in no time? Ofcourse id assume Alex would just ban such people but releasing it like this is a bit…rash?

Personally i got an extra just in case Mr Eaten actually accepts one.