The Rat of Glory...

So, THAT was what was behind the 7th window of the advent-calendar… a very rare, very dangerous item!

Now, here’s my problem: Nevermind what can be gained from it, my pack-rat instinct tells me to keep it, since it’s extremely rare - just for my collection! But the warnings that it may spontaneously come alive and steal all my candles if ignored for too long are…worrying. >_>; Is it actually true? Can it self-destruct even if I never try to use it? And if so, is it an eventual certainty, or just a tiny chance of something that MAY happen?

Probably its just there to scare people, since someone have kept one for years and its still there. But maybe he was very lucky, or maybe they changed the RoG. So: Its likely harmless, but theres a chanche you’ll somedays get a very explosive Time the Healer

I just traded the thing in for a Scuttering Squad

Yeah, if you don’t already have one, that’s the best use for it. If you do, the best use is probably sending it to someone who doesn’t, but the best personal gain use is using it for enigmas after selling any items it could consume.

My guess is that this is a Ratmas strikes back item, and that there exists a button that Alexis can push at some point that sends out a living story tied to anyone currently in possession of a Rat of Glory, and it’s not coded to be random per instance.

I lit it, succeeded the Watchful check, and it still stole all my Mourning Candles. Ugh.

As far as we know, the Rat of Glory only steals candles on a rare success of using it.

Ouch. Sorry.

But just because we haven’t found anyone who had the thing come to life on its own, doesn’t mean that it might not happen some day . . . so can you keep your candles & Luminosity stock low? And if not, do you feel lucky?

Joke’s on you, Rat of Glory! I don’t have anything resembling a candle! (No Luminosity items - because I’m anti-Revolutionaries - or Foxfire Candles, and I missed SMEN by quite a bit. Hehe.)

That’s not my experience. My alt tried to burn it for Enigmas, failed the Watchful check, and lost both Foxfire Candles (only 18, I think, but still) and some Mourning Candles (a smallish number, but still).

[quote=BlakeTheDrake]So, THAT was what was behind the 7th window of the advent-calendar… a very rare, very dangerous item!

Now, here’s my problem: Nevermind what can be gained from it, my pack-rat instinct tells me to keep it, since it’s extremely rare - just for my collection! But the warnings that it may spontaneously come alive and steal all my candles if ignored for too long are…worrying. >_>; Is it actually true? Can it self-destruct even if I never try to use it? And if so, is it an eventual certainty, or just a tiny chance of something that MAY happen?[/quote]

I agree with you, Blake; my pack-rat (ur…) instinct is just to keep it, but I suspect it would eventually come to life, and I have some rare items (Dawn Machine part) in my inventory. So I’ll probably try lighting it to see what I can get; that should cut my losses at least.

I have some candles, but nothing important so I wouldn’t mind it anyways, I prefer having extra stuff to read even if it’s dangerous anyways.

That’s not my experience. My alt tried to burn it for Enigmas, failed the Watchful check, and lost both Foxfire Candles (only 18, I think, but still) and some Mourning Candles (a smallish number, but still).[/quote]

Are you sure? The wiki only has losing the rat as the result for failure on the check.

Of course I happened to buy a Scuttering Squad just days before this! Oh well, it’s time to squeeze as many enigmas as I can out of this waxen monstrosity.

Also besides SMEN candles, we only seem to know of rats taking 1-75 Foxfire Candlestubs, 1-14 Mourning Candles, and 1 Chrysalis Candle. I doubt any non-candle Luminosity items are at risk.

Haha, this reminds me of the time I intentionally set off the rat of glory to eat my seeker candles because I wanted to try the new seeking content when it comes out rather than already have all the candles. It took a few of them before I did it, but I was eventually successful. Fun times ;-)

http://britetimes.tumblr.com/post/72297424670/what-candles

I can confirm that they can take way more - I had 50 Mourning Candles and they’re all gone.

[/quote]

If this image is not also deployed when SMEN returns (in your own time! not nagging!), I shall be very disappointed at the missed opportunity.