The Rat Market

Someone has a nice destiny! :slight_smile: Because I will want to keep my Watchful high, I’m still thinking if I should pick Zee or KaTo. But Zee sounds way more fun!

:snowman_with_snow: Tears of the Bazaar are back on the menu, which is exciting news if you’re interested in preparing for a Noman Tattoo or a Memory of a Doubled Spring this coming year. Even if you’re well-stocked, it’s always good to have some extra in reserve in case of poor luck. (I’m angling for 125 Pails / 77 Tears this year)

2 Likes

How much do I need for Doubled Spring? Is it 120-140 vials?

1 Like

It’s a tricky question because the melt formula’s changed slightly this year, and we never actually had the melt formula; we just had a range that worked well enough for January and February that it didn’t need adjusting. We only have one data point for Whitsun: 2243 NF was lost across 17 melts between January 13th through May 5th.

2531 total NF was enough for me, but it’s impossible to say at this point how close that is. Ultimately, this coming season is still going to be pioneering work; you can take my 2500 figure and decide how much more of a safety buffer you want to put in there (or how much closer you want to cut it).

If you want to be safe, I’d recommend the following:

• 100 Nightwhispers, 700 Storm Threnodies, 120 Tears
  • Buy 100 pails from the urchins (note: you may have to grind favourable circumstances to force them to show up this many times!)
  • examine a pail through a monocle, warm up your tears until you get taste of lacre 10 or 11, then give this to your Noman. Repeat this step 100 times (you’ll have to draw the Noman Card 100 times before your pails melt. The Card is abundant, but this is quite a lot of Card drawing).
  • A pail gets you 9 Noman’s Friend on average, and a Tear gets you 18 on average, so the above brings you to 2800 NF on average (including the base 100).
  • you have 20 Tears in reserve, that each give 1-25 NF (or 13 on average). You expect it to be worth 260 NF on average.

This is probably more than you need; it also might not be sufficient if you’re unlucky! Ultimately, this is going to be an expensive gamble and overpreparedness is much advised. Remember that Tears can be poured onto the Noman directly any time of the year, albeit with reduced effect on average, so grinding out some extra Tears to add to the emergency reserve could prevent heartache; moreover, once your Noman is built you have all of February, March, and April to accrue a few extra Tears for that reserve.

4 Likes

Thank you for this clarification. I am nowhere close to try the race in this year. But It’s cool goal, I will work on it.

Well, the melting rate has been slightly increased; Patch Notes - #343 by lukefbg.

Edicts of the First City week! This probably means nothing to you, but if you are an absolute monst- em, diamond owner like myself, you can trade these with Mr Fires to grind Connected: The Masters

2 Likes

I am a hoarder, but I could only afford one Edict this weekend. I already have a couple of those.

Only available to those with a certain ending to a certain Ambition, I believe.

More Tears of the Bazaar coming up next weekend, just in time to get some last minute Noman supplies!

Unfortunately, the rats want Storm Threnodies, which are also needed for Nomen…

But they will also buy Ivory Organza. I guess I’ll have to murder a bunch of people at Heart’s game this week…

1 Like

Great! I have enough for 30 bundles of Organza. It will significatly shorten my preparations for next year race. Currently i am merely at 67 / 140 Tears.

2 Likes

And I ended up with 131 Tears. Shame it’s too late for this year. And Threnodies will take around 1.5 months of concentrated grind for me.

2 Likes

If you guys are farming for Tears for the annual Christmas event, isn’t it easier and more efficient to upconvert Airags with the opportunity card? Need to start preparing months in advance.

The weekend Rat Market’s offerings are a hit and miss.

Among other things I am running the loop Master Blood → Crimson Books → Love Stories → Paint at Balmoral for Airag → Tears. Airags are not exactly easy to grind without losing in EpA. I believe this is the best way because I still draw all my cards in Upper river for Saddled Worm.

It costs 7 Airags which cost 437.5 vs the 312.5 of the price you pay at the Rat Market.

2 Likes

I thought they adjusted that cost downward. Even if they didn’t, Airag is still the best (only?) way outside of the Rat Market.

You can milk it from your worm too. Besides it, the expensive upconversion is the only reliable source.

It’s not ideal, but diamonds are up this weekend! But this also means there’s a higher chance to have them back in two weeks when we’ll be able to sell NWs.

2 Likes

Hold your gifts, wait for the scrams to cash in the blings!
We have NW - Diamond weekend!

2 Likes

Perfect timing, I also had Incunabula to offload!

… Assuming I have enough actions remaining after the Night Whispers tide washes over.

Edit: That reminds me: is it better to hoard Plunder to go Atlases > Crackling Devices > Diamonds in case of CD/Diamonds weekend, or to use Plunder to go straight for Diamonds?

1 Like