The Penultimate Update: Light Fingers

I signed up for the Ambition that said I would become the thievingest thief that ever thefted (it’s now something about something different, but that’s besides the point). And you’re suggesting that, given the option, I would consider not pulling a Grand Theft Zeppelin in the middle of a police shipyard? Good sir, it is not enough merely to be the hero of this story. One must ride in style.[/quote]

Well, I would suppose surviving the marshes are a feat in themselves.

Also, did anyone catch what happens if

You decide to carefully move through the horde of fighting Starved Men? I remember one that climbed on which I shot, but not what happened before that.

If you could provide an echo, that would be nice.

Oh, my mistake. I got the Lair in the Marshes mixed up with the Cottage by the Observatory. [/li]

I like how my Seeker will probably Depart North (and Beyond) … while stuck on the ceiling.

I’m uncertain if my character should agree or refuse to donate some blood to Clarabelle. Does anyone have an echo of the latter choice?

A helpful tip to all of you playing this update: Have a few aquaintances ready to assist you with your Nightmares. There’s 3 instances where your Nightmares will go from 0 to 7 and they’re required to move the story along.

Gonna be honest, the 5 action return wouldn’t be so bad if i could remember what stuff I’m returning to grab. Might have to wait till the wiki’s updated at this rate.

That, the nightmares stuff, and the expected if still annoying need for higher and higher end items aside I’m loving this. The writing for sure, especially as I don’t know much about the Starved Men beyond the Chimney Pot War stuff, if they were mentioned more in Light Fingers earlier it’s been too long to remember. It’s creepy, it’s fun, and the concept of “returning” to London by sitting down and thinking back to it is really cool gameplay

Use the &quotplans&quot feature.

On the option, in the upper-right corner, there’s a tiny tiny gray banner. Click on it, it turns into a slightly-less-tiny red banner, and is saved in your Plans tab, including requirements.

God I’ve played for how long and forgot all about that things use in a practical sense

Just finished up to the boundary of the ambition (very well written atmosphere, I might add). However, I was hoping for some sort of partial reward at the end. After all, I did have to sink

two primaeval hints and a night whisper (among other things)

into the story. I’m not ungrateful, but I’d have liked a little something to rub my hands over as I wait for the next update.

[spoiler]As soon as the game mentioned offering blood to Clarabelle to become the kid’s parent, I immediately thought of the &quotsometimes a family…&quot meme.

Sometimes a family can be a doctor, a prisoner experiment, some poor sap way over their head, and their impossible alien/human hybrid child.[/spoiler]
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 10/4/2017

I’m at Light Fingers: Lonely as a Cloud for really quite some time. How can I tell that the end is in sight?

I haven’t reached that point myself, but from the wiki it seems that you need to continue at it until you get rid of your Stalked Above quality, at which point a new storylet will unlock.

edited by dov on 10/15/2017

Dov is correct. Oddly enough the storylet to remove Stalked Above persists even after you continue on? I wonder if that’s intentiinal, like other things will come to raise it?

But be aware you’ll be needing some 62.50 echo items (Night Whisper, Primeval Hints, iirc) and to come back a couple times to reduce mandatory nightmare gain.

Okay. I’m not certain how I got out of the loop (did I refresh my browser?), but I’m out. I don’t think Lonely as a Cloud should have gone on for >40 actions, but FL is known for its grind, so I was afraid that there was an internal ticker counting tales of terror or something.

That was really unpleasant.
edited by Nepeta on 10/15/2017

I spent about 40 actions with Lonely as a Cloud as well. There is a “Perhaps not” link back to continue the story, but I didn’t notice it for a whole while.

Well, got a lot of Tales of Terror out of it, but that’s about it, just Perhaps not out of the cycle as soon as you get the option.

Having to constantly &quotremember&quot my time in London doing things like chugging laudanum to forget that one time me and my Rubbery crew got spooked by a Starved Man clawing at a porthole in the aircraft I didn’t have yet in the ceiling I’d never been to is probably the single biggest immersion-breaker I’ve seen in this game, which is really frustrating, because otherwise Light Fingers continues to be one of my favourite stories, content-wise. I’d rather that than be stuck up in the ceiling forever, but it seems to me that there might be some middle ground, there. And the fact that it costs five actions–a quarter of a standard action pool–just to be able to go back and convert Romantic Notions into Visions of the Surface, for instance, seems a little ridiculous.

edited by Snowskeeper on 11/7/2017