The Penultimate Update: Light Fingers

Expeditions are probably the fastest, but “fast” is a relative term here.

Unpredictable treasure 20-37 provides 4 unearthly fossils and 1 trembling amber. Unpredictable treasure 41-59 (“a wooden mask”) provides 1-5 warm amber along with some diamonds. Thieves’ cache expeditions return a 400 glim and a treasure of value 1-80.

“Give it a great quantity of warm amber” on the Rubbery Men faction card trades 100 warm amber for 1 trembling amber and 1 rubbery-men favor.

"Who - " on “do you recall how they came to that place?” in the Nadir trades 5 identities uncovered for 1 trembling amber and 1 irrigo.

Preliminary research for voyages of scientific discovery includes an option to study an unearthly fossil for either 1 or 5 warm amber. This can be done four times before you need to actually go on a voyage, after which you can return to preliminary research.

Voyages of scientific discovery to Corpsecage Island provide 10 warm amber via “the back of Corpsecage”.

“Accept a damp gift” on the Rubbery Men faction card provides 3 warm amber and consumes 1 rubbery-men favor on a rare success.

“Lure the creature into a quiet alley…and end its miserable rubbery existence” on the Rubbery Men faction card provides 1 warm amber and wipes your rubbery-men favors.

Siding with the Rubbery Men on “Amber in the Well”, the rubbery/revolutionaries conflict card, provides 5 warm amber and consumes 2 revolutionary favors.

Bundle of oddities 4-10 (“something warm”) provides 2 warm amber. “An anonymous wretch” via “rob a drunk” in Spite provides bundle 1-22. “The decoy” via “preparing for a big score” in the Flit provides bundle 1-30 and 9 cp of casing which can be cashed in for glim by robbing a glim shipment via “the big score: choose a target”. Many other actions provide higher maximum bundle values but these two have the best odds. Robbing drunks is one bundle per action, the decoy is one bundle per three actions and helps with the glim grind.

The easiest heist also gives lots of glim - I have gotten as much as 1500.
Desire player here, but you are all making me jealous.

Right here, on my Light Fingers alt. It’s in response to asking if he’d just give up, thanks.

Right here, on my Light Fingers alt. It’s in response to asking if he’d just give up, thanks.[/quote]

Hold on.

Blood and milk? Was it moon-miser’s milk? I wonder, what (or who) Edward was looking at.

[quote=Kaigen][quote=Krysin]Reading the wiki, I’m a bit bummed that the ones who sided with the Cherry Man get to keep his card, but those who finished with the Last Constable lose her card.

I mean story wise it makes sense, I guess. I’m all for different choices having different and arguably ‘unequal’ outcomes, but still.[/quote]It didn’t bother me too much before the Favours/Renown conversion, but now both cards are sources of favours so it stings a little more. Perhaps after the storyline continuation neither side will have a card.[/quote]
Had no idea that siding with the Last Constable makes you lose the card; my alt did that, but not drawing many cards with him.
And let’s leave things the way they are now! I do want that card, but mostly for the Dead dream! :)

[quote=Gul al-Ahlaam][li]
Right here, on my Light Fingers alt. It’s in response to asking if he’d just give up, thanks.[/quote]

Thank you very much! Haha I wonder why he keeps a random bottle of milk in his pocket?

Stop being cute Edward! You’re supposed to be creepy!

I’m currently at Zee, en route to Tanah-Chook just to see how it’s been.

I’m going to be seeing a lot of &quotwith the grace of a crocodile&quot in the journal entries for a while, aren’t I?

(It, ah, also seems like there’s little to no variation in that one choice apart from your own action. No matter what you do, grace of a crocodile.)
edited by ReusedNPC on 9/27/2017

Hey, if you’ve got it, flaunt it :D

It appears the former content boundary still has text saying it’s the limit for the ambition.

Can anyone refresh my memory about the Market Beast? I want to choose whichever zeppelin is coolest, but I can’t remember enough about it to make an informed decision.

[quote=Kukapetal]Thank you very much! Haha I wonder why he keeps a random bottle of milk in his pocket?

Stop being cute Edward! You’re supposed to be creepy![/quote]

Well it’s specifically the most un-cute variety of milk imaginable.
Worse than that UHT stuff you’re supposed to store in the pantry.

Now I’m wondering what the best course of action would be, if you unintentionally got a mouthful of the stuff. I think you’d probably instinctively keep your eyes shut, but then you risk falling in love with darkness (or your own eyelids?). Perhaps keep a handy picture of a puppy around at all times, just in case.

[quote=Kukapetal]Haha I wonder why he keeps a random bottle of milk in his pocket?

Stop being cute Edward! You’re supposed to be creepy![/quote]I’m still convinced Poor Edward is trying to let the player succeed.

[spoiler]1. When Edward first meets with you, he gives you Lethean tea leaves, which are conveniently the only way to break Clara’s fixation with the Orphanage. He doesn’t brew a pot of Lethean tea and say &quothere, drink this or I’ll behead you and dump you in the river&quot, he just hands over an easily preserved and transported set of leaves.

1. If he catches you in the Orphanage, he buries you in a box which can then be escaped in several ways. Even if he doesn’t know about the Lily of St John, I can’t buy that he’s unaware of the slow boat, the mirror-marches, and the general transportive properties of death and insanity in the Neath. If he wanted to ensure that you stopped snooping around the Orphanage, he’d behead you and throw you in the river. Instead, he inconveniences you in a way which does not at all prevent your eventual return to the Orphanage.

2. After arriving at Dr Vaughan’s camp with Jasper and Frank, he waits there for you to arrive as well. Why does he not take Clara and Dr Vaughan away? Placing an opportunity for personal revenge over the reason he’s pursuing Clara in the first place (to protect the Orphanage and its operations) is either a cartoonish show of stupidity or an intentional opening for you to recover Dr Vaughan and Clara.

3. When you arrive at the table, Edward doesn’t order Jasper and Frank to smash your head in. Instead, he leans over the table and tries to strangle you. If you consider the stance which that would require, he’s placing himself off balance and leaving his entire torso exposed. He also just so happens to have a glass bottle in his front pocket for the player to use as an improvised weapon. Either this is an entirely different person from the one who expertly dispatches you in the Orphanage, or Edward is making a show of fighting while trying to let you win.[/spoiler]

These events strongly indicate that Edward wants to do his job but does not want to do his job at all effectively. Perhaps he served Mr Fires in earnest and eventually had a change of heart, or perhaps he’s been planning this sabotage from the very start and you are sufficiently talented that he thinks you can finish the job. Either way, I’m on team Edward.
edited by Anchovies on 9/28/2017

Double drat. I used up my favours with the constables while I was collecting favours with the criminals. I am still unable to acquire Zeppelin and forget how to get constable favours other than cards.

[quote=Anchovies]Either way, I’m on team Edward.
edited by Anchovies on 9/28/2017[/quote]

Let’s get t-shirts! :D

You can always recover the Market Beast from Bugsby’s Marshes in Watchmaker’s Hill instead - it’ll raise your Wounds and Nightmares on success or failure, but it doesn’t require anything except a Shadowy check.

I signed up for the Ambition that said I would become the thievingest thief that ever thefted (it’s now something about something different, but that’s besides the point). And you’re suggesting that, given the option, I would consider not pulling a Grand Theft Zeppelin in the middle of a police shipyard? Good sir, it is not enough merely to be the hero of this story. One must ride in style.

You can always recover the Market Beast from Bugsby’s Marshes in Watchmaker’s Hill instead - it’ll raise your Wounds and Nightmares on success or failure, but it doesn’t require anything except a Shadowy check.[/quote]

Except I need a key I don’t have either before that is possible.

[li]

[quote=heavensdark]
Except I need a key I don’t have either before that is possible.
[li][/quote]
I’m pretty sure that’s just a lodgings that you can buy at the Bazaar. It’s not even expensive, it just has an exceedingly lame opportunity card.[/li]

Hey, more sources of Favours:Society are nothing to sneeze at.[li]