the Orphanage....to burn or no.

this is for people on light fingers ambition mostly… what did you pick and why?

S.F. burned it to the ground. They’d have normally left it intact so that they could come back and study it later, but having seen what they’d seen, they were really, really angry.

In the end, a mix of pity and pragmatism stayed my hand. Death is too uncertain in the 'Neath to risk leaving the people there alive and survivors of a fire. The other side of the coin being the understanding that the Masters would just create another, and that one I would not know how to find. Better to leave a horror where you know you can find it again, if needs must, then burn it knowing that it will simply reoccur somewhere you may not.

Burned it

Killing as many Moon-Misers as I can

I chose to leave it in hopes that people could escape. The Masters seem divided anyway so perhaps they could count this as a failure and move away from this endeavor. Burning seems like it would be permanent in the Neath, but nothing is for certain.

I chose to burn it, my character Lukas Uller is ruthless and he would have written the drugged out captives for lost. I also agreed with Frensus and the need to destroy their Moon-Miser facility.

Lastly - I was under the distinct impression that you only got both sisters out if you chose to burn the place. Is that not true?

edited by Owen Wulf on 1/3/2015

Macy was horrified by it and its atrocities, and a bit of a rash person – and not the heroic type to try and save anyone at the risk of her own skin. With what little time she had she figured a fire was the the only way. The repercussions of this action are a key ingredient to a few of her nightmares though.

Burned it. I was in two minds on the matter, but on my first reading the text implied that one who I wanted to save would survive the burning and not otherwise. Subsequent reading, I seem to recall, made me think that that one’s fate is ambiguous. I do not know. I hope.

I chose to burn the place down because I was concerned that the research could be used to further curtail the freedom of the people of London, including myself.

[quote=Owen Wulf]Lastly - I was under the distinct impression that you only got both sisters out if you chose to burn the place. Is that not true?[/quote]The text has room for interpretation. I looked up what a &quotguy rope&quot is, and on a dirigible it would be a rope that connects the ‘balloon’ part to the gondola. And it was &quotdangling&quot, so if it was dangling from the gondola, I guess she still could be spinning while holding on to the rope, as opposed to spinning while falling to her death.

But whether she lives or dies she appears to have been written out of the story, so from that perspective it makes more sense that she died, because I don’t see why else she would’ve left her sister to a Fishy Investigator who is in no particular hurry to put to zee to find a certain doctor. Frankly, I’m not sure what my motivation is supposed to be now. ‘Doing the right thing?’ There are already so many stories about people doing the right thing. It’s gotten old. I guess mere curiosity is enough, or will be once there is a continuation.

The driving force in Fallen London’s narrative is curiosity. This woman is giving birth to a Moon Miser–one of the most interesting creatures in Fallen London, at the moment, due to the value the Masters place on them. Surely that is enough for even the most amoral individual.

I started the riot; because like, there is no way the inmates deserved being burned alive TOO on top of what was already done to them.

The staff, sure, but they’re not the only ones there.

the masters though, they are going to get set on fire. at the very least.

edited by WormApotheote on 1/5/2015

[spoiler][quote=Snowskeeper]The driving force in Fallen London’s narrative is curiosity. This woman is giving birth to a Moon Miser–one of the most interesting creatures in Fallen London, at the moment, due to the value the Masters place on them. Surely that is enough for even the most amoral individual.[/quote]Just barely enough. I used to be more curious before I started grinding, and before it was revealed that everything is about love. I’m also quite the contrarian, so I ask myself: &quotWhere’s the fun in being curious about something I’m expected to be curious about?&quot I’m therefore only mildly curious about Moon Misers and the Masters.

And when no jewel is forthcoming, I feel a bit cheated. I suppose a Moon Miser could give an endless supply of Glim, but so can the house on Cubit Square. Would the Echoes/Action be significantly better for someone with their own pet Moon Miser? And how much time and resources would it take before that Moon Miser starts paying for itself? I guess I can keep telling myself that’s worth investigating, even though it seems like a long shot.

EDIT: I should clarify that I wasn’t actually expecting ingame riches from the Light Fingers ambition. I was just expecting that to be the driving motivation. I feel that it intrudes upon my player agency to presume that my character’s motivation will adapt to whatever the story needs, rather than stay roughly the same from beginning to the bitter end.[/spoiler]
edited by Gillsing on 1/5/2015

[spoiler][quote=Gillsing]… so I ask myself: &quotWhere’s the fun in being curious about something I’m expected to be curious about?&quot I’m therefore only mildly curious about Moon Misers and the Masters.

And when no jewel is forthcoming, I feel a bit cheated. I suppose a Moon Miser could give an endless supply of Glim, but so can the house on Cubit Square. Would the Echoes/Action be significantly better for someone with their own pet Moon Miser? And how much time and resources would it take before that Moon Miser starts paying for itself? I guess I can keep telling myself that’s worth investigating, even though it seems like a long shot.

EDIT: I should clarify that I wasn’t actually expecting ingame riches from the Light Fingers ambition. I was just expecting that to be the driving motivation. I feel that it intrudes upon my player agency to presume that my character’s motivation will adapt to whatever the story needs, rather than stay roughly the same from beginning to the bitter end.
edited by Gillsing on 1/5/2015[/quote]

I must admit that my main’s motivation is the sunk-cost fallacy right now. He’s invested so much effort into getting this stupid diamond that never existed in the first place, and he has pretty much nothing to show for it. He’s going to see this thing through to the bitter end, and he’s going to keep whatever he can as a momento, and to remind himself to take a step back every now and then.

My own motivation is because I’m really enjoying the story. I’m under no illusions that I’ll get anything seriously expensive out of the whole affair (probably another opportunity card with a 2 echo return, is my guess), but it’s all about the journey, not the destination.[/spoiler]
edited by RandomWalker on 1/5/2015

Personally, I’m quite happy playing Neathy Scully and busting conspiracies. Sure, a bit of sneaky footpaddery is fun and all, but we’ve reached the realm of stealing the Masters’ best-defended secrets.

As for the original question - yeah, I decided that burning down an orphanage filled with innocent people was not such a good idea. I’m sure the angry mob will be quite capable of taking their frustrations out on the place themselves.

I’m left very torn by this. I was motivated primarily by the thing that is left ambiguous, and…

Spoiler-filled character nonsense follows…

[spoiler]I had a lot of trouble picking an ambition at first, because none of them really fit with my character concept: someone who came down here to find out what was going on, and how she could potentially profit from it. A simple diamond heist was a little on the nose for her, but it didn’t require what seemed like an unwise level of risk the way that gambling your soul, seeking revenge, or hunting a legendarily murderous creature did. Plus, I heard you could quit Light Fingers for free if you wanted to, so no harm no foul.

When I found out I’d gotten word of the gem from the music hall singer, everything instantly coalesced. She’d been a partner in crime when we were younger. We grew apart as we got older, she moving towards music and I towards natural philosophy. Her sister had found her way below, and she followed, which is when I lost contact. Now there was a letter, evoking our larcenous days of old. So yes, I would go. We’d be partners in crime again. I’d learn what the neath had to offer in the way of natural philosophy, and we’d both return to the surface, wealthy and filled with secrets.

I knew her well, but I never really knew her sister. Sure she might be of interest to me as a natural philosopher, but it feels entirely out of character that I wouldn’t make SOME effort to find the fading music hall singer. Out-of-character for a character whose only hint of emotional attachment comes from her fondness for urchins and the way this damnable ambition tricked my calculating scientist into actually caring… coming closer to death than ever before.

I’m still not sure what to do. For now, the sisters wait for me in that white room. I suppose I’ll have to decide eventually.[/spoiler]

the ambiguous part of the choice is what is holding me off as well mostly… i suppose only way to fix that is wait till the ambition updates and meta game a bit… is a bit of irony when become a pawn in own story narrative.

((yikes, I think I accidentally reported someone’s reply by a misclick, which I absolutely didn’t intend – this thread is fascinating.))
I felt the consequences of what one could choose to do in polythreme with Jack of Smiles kinda echo this - both are complexes funded by the same-ish sources, and as far as I remember the mastermind there pretty much gave up, so cautious and unwarranted optimism [li]

Happens all the time, don’t worry. :-)

[quote=fortluna]((yikes, I think I accidentally reported someone’s reply by a misclick, which I absolutely didn’t intend – this thread is fascinating.))
I felt the consequences of what one could choose to do in polythreme with Jack of Smiles kinda echo this - both are complexes funded by the same-ish sources, and as far as I remember the mastermind there pretty much gave up, so cautious and unwarranted optimism
[/quote]

Not really spoilers if you’ve gotten that far in the storyline, but no, it hasn’t; it’s just sort of miffed at you about the whole thing. It implies the Jack-of-Smiles project was a failure, but it doesn’t say anything about not continuing it, and if you choose not to burn down the workshop it’s concerned enough about the whole thing to move it in order to keep you from returning to Polythreme and burning it down after your investivation is concluded. I think it’s more than likely that if Jack needs to show up later, he’ll show up later.

well, burning &quotorphans&quot is VERY a role-playing thing to do … if you’re evil… kekeke… and you like to imagine the face of whatshisface when he gets stuck in the burning ruins while you make your great escape.

my alt burned it. funtimes. taking care of a monsterous pregnant woman… not so fun.
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 1/6/2015