The new skills

So unless I’m mistaken, this should be all of them at their current caps, right? Item bonuses not included, obviously.

Toxicology and anatomy I’ve found occasionally useful in a lab research context. Glasswork, anatomy etc of course have various uses in Parabola, and occasionally there has been some check for one skill or other, particularly in ambitions I think.

Outside of that, are there any other major uses for them, currently? Mithridacy, chess, what are those good for, if anything?
edited by Tsar Koschei on 6/18/2020

Mithridacy is used a lot when building skeletons in the Bone Market. Toxicology, Anatomy, and Shapeling Arts come up there as well.

Okay, good to know. I haven’t explored the new palaentology stuff much yet. Base mithridacy is still capped at 5, right?
edited by Tsar Koschei on 6/18/2020

There’s no way to raise the caps yet for Shapeling Arts, Mithridacy, or Red Science.

Expect the Railroad content which is slated for next week to expand upon these stats. I am 177% sure that raising Mithridacy will involve the Church in the Wild, which seems to be up the river somewhere.

There is a single Artisan of the Red Science check (so far) in the Light Fingers Ambition. I was rather pleased to see it there, as it meant that I had not entirely wasted my time during Whitsun.

I had not really envisioned myself using the skill while engaged in midwifery, mind, but then again this is the Neath, so I suppose it shouldn’t be all that much of a surprise.

Edit: Apologies, somehow missed that you already mentioned checks in the ambitions the first time I read your post.
edited by Plynkes on 6/18/2020

They’re still so new. Uses are coming, no doubt.

It might have been mentioned elsewhere, but there’s a new option on the Parthenaeum card that includes a check for ‘A Player Of Chess’. Of course, it requires one to be a member of that club to draw it in the first place.
edited by Tintinnabulum on 6/18/2020
edited by Tintinnabulum on 6/18/2020

…and on the Young Stags card there is now a new choice that involves a Kataleptic Toxicology check.

… and the two new clubs’ cards have a Mithridacy and Kataleptic Toxicology challenge, respectively.

Ooh, interesting. Thanks for the tips about clubs.

You can check the wiki, ya know.

[quote=Plynkes]There is a single Artisan of the Red Science check (so far) in the Light Fingers Ambition. I was rather pleased to see it there, as it meant that I had not entirely wasted my time during Whitsun.

I had not really envisioned myself using the skill while engaged in midwifery, mind, but then again this is the Neath, so I suppose it shouldn’t be all that much of a surprise.

Edit: Apologies, somehow missed that you already mentioned checks in the ambitions the first time I read your post.
edited by Plynkes on 6/18/2020[/quote]
Red Science can be used to research an Impossible Theorem, it can be quite profitable, depend on your Red Science level or if you got Cora Bagley.

edited by ugo on 6/19/2020

As far as I can tell, all Mathematical research gives you a Red Science option on Direct Your Own Research. I don’t see it being more profitable to research Mirthless Compendiums than a single Improbable Theorum, but it is an option. There are also enough items that give Artisan that the option feels like it should be good at max level. I have yet to reach Parabola with a Monster Hunter, so I don’t know how good it is to wound Dream Quarries from a distance.

Edited because Red Science Focus is a very different thing than having Red Science based options.
edited by The Lonely Hunter on 6/20/2020

Huh, how do your raise your Chess stat from 5 to 7?

By losing big, and then winning big. ;)

Btw, the profile link in your signature needs updating! :D

By losing big, and then winning big. ;)

Btw, the profile link in your signature needs updating! :D[/quote]

Oh thanks, I better take care of that :D

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that those who chose Nemesis ambition kind of drew the short straw regarding the new skills?

The other ambitions each provided multiple opportunities to acquire items increasing the novel skills, while Nemesis players only got a single one, and even then the boost is not unique for those who chose not to pursue revenge to the utmost end. (Though it is the single non-Fate-locked companion with this bonus, so this is rather moot).

I get that Nemesis was the first Ambition to be finished, before the bulk of new content was implemented. It has been hinted at earlier, though, and stuff like this could easily be added retroactively, like the remembered Jaguar Blade.

Anyway, let’s hope that once we’re able to experience the other ambitions to an extent, this will also give us chance to obtain at least some of the useful and nice Ambition-specific items.
edited by Aardvark on 6/23/2020

See this Reddit thread, which is a screenshot of a Discord post: Upcoming changes to Ambition rewards : fallenlondon

tl;dr They acknowledge the Ambition rewards diverge significantly, they plan to address it but have other things on their mind right now.

[quote=PSGarak]See this Reddit thread, which is a screenshot of a Discord post: Upcoming changes to Ambition rewards : fallenlondon

tl;dr They acknowledge the Ambition rewards diverge significantly, they plan to address it but have other things on their mind right now.[/quote]

Oh, thank you for the info!

Happy to hear this from FBG. It’s very nice of you to take this type of feedback, and I completely understand you have a lot on your plates right now. You’re doing splendid work in difficult times, so take all the time you need!

It’s good to know that a reckoning is coming, though. (Or re-reckoning, as the case may be :) )

They’ve added a way to increase your “Artisan of the Red Science” cap. (There are research projects that you have to /begin/ in the Parabolan reflection of your laboratory).

Anyone know if there’s a way to increase the Mithridacy or Shapeling Arts cap, yet?