The Neathy Speed-Dating Service

Over in the SOON thread, conversation turned to what characters people found attractive. And frankly, having our minds buried in the gutter is more pleasant than dealing with that Poor Edward character that’s on the front page of the topic. But alas, topics are topics, and as fun as gutter-diving can be, t’wasn’t the place for it.

So here’s the place for it! Talk about who in London you’d romance given the choice. Obviously we have our Boneless Consorts, Artist’s Models, Jewel Thieves, and Barbed Wits, Acclaimed Beauties, and sometimes both of them at once, but there’s other, more unique characters such as Sinning Jenny or the Wry Functionary. Or maybe Feducci or Lettice, if that’s your sort of thing. I dunno.

And, uh, please. Keep it PG-13. And no romancing the Sun, she’s spoken for.

I for one don’t really have eyes for anyone in particular here in the Neath. Except perhaps this one Alluring Accomplice that keeps winking at me wile working around the Orphanage.

I have a thing for ninja nuns :) especially the ninja nun that runs the house of virtue :) now that is someone worth romancing.

My main was very determined to do the sensible thing and avoid love at all costs.

Then she met the Pirate-Poet.

Gul sometimes dreams about the Smiling Priest. The Chapel of Lights all bright in the dark, a snowy path to the warmth of a fire. A table set for two, with nothing but knives. Each of them both the eater and the eaten. But they’re happily married, and he’s very far away. Still, there’s always the pilgrimage.[li]

Millicent Clathermont (and her Nadir echo) inspired me to spend several thousand Fate, invest a year and a half of my time into a mad quest, get Irrigo 77, grind out SMEN 777, write some of the finest fanfiction I’ve ever crafted and ultimately send my character NORTH.

Not bad for a character dismissed by her own creator as a glorified questionnaire.

Well, if I didn’t make it clear enough my favourite character of the entire game, and one person my character is truly smitten with, is the Captivating Princess. My character doesn’t even care that she is royal, its her mystique, beauty, charm, and power of personality, and yes her very wicked streak of iniquity that makes her so desirable to Vena.
I am always so excited to see her in the game, and my character is quite proud to have written a story that brought a tear to her eye and have had her show up at their salon.
I am still holding out hope that someday she will be more than an acquaintance (that is outside of the one destiny I will not pick, stupid Liberation of Night destiny, why did you have to be the one with a relationship to the Princess?!).

Heh, I like her enough that like Passionario it lead my to write a fanfic, in my case an expanded and slightly altered version of the Gift storyline. Which, for those interested, can be found here -

edited by Akernis on 9/20/2017

Pirate Poet! Pirate Poet! Pirate Poet! (gets progressively louder, banging implements on furniture, causing a scene) PIRATE POET! PIRATE POET! PIRATE POET!

Okay, she’s not so much a crush as kind of an idol. She makes me want to get an elaborate tattoo and read radical verse.

There are so many!

Oh lets see…who couldn’t love Sinning Jenny? Supporting her for mayor, teaching in her finishing school, helping her seduce the Shadow, there is always a slight…pause…when mentioning her. Such a dear girl. Such a lovely necklace.

I confess rather a soft spot for the Last Constable. Such a strong, dedicated young woman. We never had an assignation before she had to leave, but my mind often goes to that Stiff-Backed Young Lady, shall we say?

While we spent the time using each other, how can I forget the Secular Missionary? Having to navigate the waters between too forward and simply platonic was difficult, in time I began to feel she was not quite honest. While she lost a bit of herself in our adventures, I hope to see her Renewed.

The one that got away would be the Silk Clad Expert. Why I almost did something foolish with a cultist who reminded me of her but no, I did not. It was a flight close to THE SUN with her, but emerged unscathed, if longing, and perhaps accessory to a spider napping.

But oh, my Celebrated Artist’s Model, my first romance of the Neath, our paths kept crossing. Our romance in Veilgarden, where she listened to my Nocturnal poetry and I may or may not have booted her to the side for some Honey-Sipping Heiress, All those men I thrashed, our affair in the Shuttered Palace, Our meeting in the Side-Streets, I don’t regret my marriage to that wonderful…marvelously tolerant…woman.

I do look forward to meeting more.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 9/20/2017
edited by Lady Karnstein on 9/20/2017

I am quite fond of the Secular Missionary, and the Revolutionary Firebrand as well. They’re both lovely characters and I’m not sure who I prefer.

Good thing I don’t have to choose.

The Dowager Empress of Prussia is pretty great, and we can thank Sinning Jenny for that. If you’re unfamiliar with the best ending of Empress’s Shadow, here it is in my journal:
part 1 part 2 part 3 part 4 part 5 part 6

If you’re not engaging in political dress-up with lesbian overtones, you’re doing something wrong.
edited by Anchovies on 9/20/2017

Not from Fallen London, but in Sunless Sea my captain got rather smitten over the Bright-Eyed Sequencer, which may have led him down a dangerous paths that almost gave Supremacy to the Dawn Machine.
But I mean, an exotic and beautiful golden-haired, bright-eyed young woman who imbues you with secret knowledge by kissing you on each eyelid with cryptic promises of great rewards to come for your help. What more can an adventurous gentleman of the zee wish for in a paramour? Maybe she will go for the lips next time I help this sentient doomsday sun of hers with a few small favours…

I am excited to see which beautiful but exceptionally dangerous or evil girl I will fall for in Sunless Skies ;)
edited by Akernis on 9/20/2017

[quote=Optimatum]I am quite fond of the Secular Missionary, and the Revolutionary Firebrand as well. They’re both lovely characters and I’m not sure who I prefer.

[/quote]
Do we ever get to learn how you did that?
Edit: Also why are you even considering romancing your dog? Go with the Missionary.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 9/20/2017

Personally, I have fond memories of a romance with a cake stand… even if it wasn’t my first time.

cathyr19355 was once enamoured of the Revolutionary Firebrand. Then she actually got to know him, in the Nadir, and realized that she was not the man for her.

So she married the Cultured Attache. He doesn’t appeal to her sense of romance, but he’s solid and reasonably compatible. For intellectual stimulation, she secretly visits the Barbed Wit, though again romance is no longer involved. My character has sworn off romance, I think.

I had a delightful evening with the Melancholy Curate and his Sister that I should very much enjoy repeating … after all, it’s been a couple of years and I’m fairly certain that I’ve fully recuperated.

[quote=Pumpkinhead][quote=Optimatum]I am quite fond of the Secular Missionary, and the Revolutionary Firebrand as well. They’re both lovely characters and I’m not sure who I prefer.

[/quote]
Do we ever get to learn how you did that?
Edit: Also why are you even considering romancing your dog? Go with the Missionary.[/quote]
Hey, I’ve explained it before! More than once, even.

Sometime last spring there was a bug for a couple hours that removed the lock requirements of all cards with no unlock requirements. That includes the initial Secular Missionary card. though not the Firebrand card; that had C: Revolutionaries 5 as an unlock. Thanks to the bug I reset my Intimate with a Secular Missionary quality. Fortunately the card linking the Missionary and Firebrand requires only sufficient progress with her (and even more fortunately the option just needs Intimate with a Revolutionary Firebrand 10, not exactly 10). That let me play through the Nadir, I already had the Missionary so chose the Firebrand, and upgraded them both at this past FotER.

It just struck me that the options giving the Missionary and Firebrand companions just give their item rather than setting to exactly 1. As such, in the couple hours the bug was active I could have dumped a ton of Fate on action refreshes and card draws to play through the entire Nadir story twice and reset it again… I could have ended up with two of each of them, and had both the upgraded and normal versions at the same time!

That would have been very expensive, though. Probably for the best.

Such wanton lust for a respectable man! Feh! Next you’ll try to seduce the Bishops, or go after a married woman or man.

[quote=Fluffy Monotreme]
Such wanton lust for a respectable man! Feh! Next you’ll try to seduce the Bishops, or go after a married woman or man.[/quote]

Like Mrs. Plenty?

I’m fairly sure she and her husband are in an open relationship.

What horrors lie in the hearts of men? A thread like this is a sure-fire way to find out ;)

We all know you’re just lusting for poor Ed’s teeth.