The Masters or the Empress?

Who do you side with? Both parties are not necessarily at odds against one another directly, but there is a tenuous relationship at best. Players of Skies probably know the outcome of this relationship, but as London residents, do you welcome the new lords of the city, or are you a loyalist to the core?

I, myself, am devoted to my Empress. Lord Hymenaeus defies these beasts, though perhaps not openly.

As an aside, I am so very curious about this bridging moment in the London/SS lore.
edited by Hymenaeus on 11/29/2019

My answer to this question would be &quotNo&quot.
edited by Diptych on 12/1/2019

I find the masters interesting but if I had to choose long live her restored majesty

Nope and nope. The one is the lackey of the others. Burn 'em all.

Well…
My first instict is to say no to both, but if I had to choose between them I would go with the human evil. Because you know. She is human.
It doesn’t help that their common foil, the Revolutionaries, have even crazier schemes.
In the end, if you are opposed to their madness, all you can do is be helpful with the downtrodden and take their side any way you can.

I would argue the Masters are evil mainly because of their inhuman values; the Empress is fully able to understand human morality, but chooses to be cruel anyway. And the Masters are actually doing something about the Liberation, as compared to her Majesty. Plus, the Masters are technically easier to overthrow now than Victoria as Her Eternal Majesty.

I agree with lxc. The Empress chose to betray her people and her sacred oath to her people for love. What the Masters have done to London resulted partly from ignorance of love and human nature, and partly due to how they have been trapped by the gods. I also see greater potential in playing the Masters against each other for the good of London and her inhabitants than in moving the Empress to do anything useful.

1 Like

They’re both tyrants. Sic temper tyrannis.

I find Victoria particularly detestable due to the fact that we know she was terrible in the real world as well and that she is a human. The Masters have the excuse of being obscenely overpowered compared to any human they’ve ever met, save perhaps one or two, and have a very different sense of ‘who matters’.

1 Like

I prefer to side with neither, whilst staying in both of their good graces if possible.
I do see the Empress as the lesser threat but the greater evil as she sold London for her own gains to the Masters, who whilst more dangerous can only do what they are due to the actions of the Empress.

None the less, the party I side with would be my own, or rather the party that protects the commonfolk from the extremities of the political discordant landscape that is Fallen London with the Masters, Devils, Church, the Revolutionaries, Spies and Empress.

Side with Hell. Always side with Hell.

[quote=phryne]Side with Hell. Always side with Hell.[/quote]I only side with their fabulous diamonds.
And how do they get those anyway?

The Spidery Rogue has a soft spot for the Empress, she is (on a technicality) a peer of the realm. But she’s also pragmatic and sees that the Master are the true power in the Neath. She’s going to end up pretty surprised in a few years.

Personally, I despise both of them and am a revolutionary (well not when it comes to the bomb throwing “propaganda of the deed”, but when it comes to the theory yes) at heart. My sunless captains are closer to my own opinions. I mean, even the Liberation of Night makes good points, but again, please stop planting bombs and killing innocents.

D-mn them all. I side with Eaten and the Liberation.

This.

When the Masters decide it’s time for the next city,

[spoiler]they will kill ALL the innocents. Permanently.

So sending those who support these monsters for a chess game or two with the Boatman is but a sobering reminder.[/spoiler]

1 Like

[quote=JaneAnkhVeos]

When the Masters decide it’s time for the next city,

[spoiler]they will kill ALL the innocents. Permanently.

So sending those who support these monsters for a chess game or two with the Boatman is but a sobering reminder.[/spoiler][/quote]

some people are just trying to live in this city.

Staying out of conflicts is a perfectly understandable choice, but they deserve to know that one day they will have no choice at all - because these lives may end at any time by whim of the Bazaar and its Masters.

1 Like

I don’t side with all the Masters, but Mr. Iron has expressed great reluctance to go along with the other Masters’ plans and seems very interested in preserving Fallen London. One of the Seasonal conclusions clearly established this. I also suspect Mr. Pages would balk at seeing this city go (yeah he did Oscar Wilde dirty, but I paid Fate to help Wilde escape, so there you go).

So I am #TeamIron and #TeamPages.

I am, as far as I know, the only person on this team.

1 Like

[quote=Greg M]I don’t side with all the Masters, but Mr. Iron has expressed great reluctance to go along with the other Masters’ plans and seems very interested in preserving Fallen London. One of the Seasonal conclusions clearly established this. I also suspect Mr. Pages would balk at seeing this city go (yeah he did Oscar Wilde dirty, but I paid Fate to help Wilde escape, so there you go).

So I am #TeamIron and #TeamPages.

I am, as far as I know, the only person on this team.[/quote]

Which story features Oscar Wilde? I want to play it!

Mr. Iron runs Demeaux Island, which is staffed by indentured servants who suffer a lot of industrial accidents and are eager to escape, which isn’t a great sign for it. It may want to preserve London, but it may just be that it doesn’t want to have to rebuild its operations. Or maybe it likes London because of all the machinery it’s full of, something it doesn’t realize is a product of surface history continuing, rather than London specifically.

If we’re talking specific Masters, Mr. Hearts/Apples is the one I trust the most. It doesn’t have any cruelties that stand out.

(Midgame Sunless Skies Spoilers)

[spoiler] And when given the chance to escape servitude to the Bazaar, it takes it. Maybe I just find the Chiropterous Hoarder so pitiful, that I can’t hate Mr. Apples. [/spoilers]

1 Like

&quotAscending the Reliables list of Mr Pages&quot - requires A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets of at least 3

I could never bring myself to s—l the b— in one of my alts I should have but I couldn’t bring myself, I’m seeking the name but I’m not that bad