The Marvellous Quest continues!

Imagine my shock, and amazement this morning when I logged on to discover that at long last, the content wall had been lifted!

Onward Lads! To the Card game of our Hearts desire!

Check your lodgings for the quest continuation.

(Update) Blast, Im going to have to go to zee…
edited by Mr. James Rayner on 5/3/2012

Yep, I’m already hoarding Second Chances and grinding a couple of qualities for the trip into the Sea of Voices _

Well, I’m thrilled that Heart’s Desire is moving forward again. But I have to say, this new episode is immensely sad.

Between this and the previous player’s needs, I’m increasingly convinced I ought to let someone else win the game. There are some very old wrongs to be set right, it seems.

curses, I just returned from a trip to polythreme, and now I need to go back in pursuit of my ambition? mutters As for those very old wrongs, they could just be attempts by your competitors to get inside your head before the game even begins. After all, it seems like the boon granted by winning comes at a terrible cost to the vanquished so all you’ll be doing by ‘setting right’ an old wrong is replace it with a new one.

Thats the sad part. The Marvellous seems to be a zero-sum game. Whoever “wins”, the price comes out of the losers, and the Bazaar collects the rest. Also, is it me, or are we “collecting” players from the 5 cities plus a monkey? We have a snuffer, a Londoner, and a former First City resident. Im expecting that the next two players will be Egyptian and Oriental. Should we face the Widow…this may prove to be an interesting ambition after all. Ditto the Duchess. My question is…who won last time? My bet is on Feducci. The old crow is hiding something, I know it. But other people seem to have…peculiar successes. The Widow for one. His Amused Lordship. The Ambitious Barrister even. The next two players will decide wether this ambition sinks or swims, I think. Plus…what exactly rules the marvellous? What stops any 7 people from playing? What magic sets it in motion? And…what did the bishop lose? For that matter, WHAT DID THE MONKEY LOSE?

Except the next two players are yourself and most likely a Master of the Bazaar or the Bazaar itself. The Blind Astronomer says that its “their custom” to only play once every certain amount of years based on the alignment of the stars. The ferryman is also an option based on what people say to you when you win at gambling for coins. I suspect the Bazaar for if it can grant immortality to so many in exchange for cities, I suspect that it can grant one’s heart’s desire.

My question is that if the Manager is not allowed to play based on a promise he made, how did he play last time? He had in order to The Topsy King to warn you that he would not fall for the Manger’s bluff again. Perhaps after the last game he promised? I would like this clarified.

I am actually already on Polythreme but don’t see anything new. Will I need to head back to London, click some storylet once, then travel all the way back? Hmm.

No. We have only recruited three so far, the manager will be the fourth recruit out of six. And thats a reference to the practice of greeks paying Charon in silver coins. Also, I am asking why you cant just get other pc-s seeking the Marvelous to play. What ritual is require for this to happen? Why these people? Why can’t anyone hold a Marvelous? And anyway, the masters play Mahjong.

As far as I can tell, the Masters run the Marvelous. The Numismatrix says they gamble some part of the “primal powers” they have locked away, of which First City Coins are the representation. But are they a player or the house itself? And what are they getting out of it? Everyone but the winner’s stakes? (Which seem like they can be anything - the Topsy King gambled his mind, the initial text says you bet your soul). I’m guessing this is connected to their appetite for love stories somehow.

Also, I think we only have five players - You, the monkey, the Bishop, the Topsy King and the Manager. If you look into the mirror at the carnival, you see, " a scarred pale woman" among the others playing the game with you, so I guess that’s number six. Ideas on who she is?

Sorry Duke - cross post on the counting. I’m assuming you can’t get anybody to play because the Masters want to keep the number of people they give access to power like that limited, thus the rules about stakes and astronomical events. Or possibly, given the stakes - not many people want to play? I’m assuming whoever won last time won’t be playing again.

And woogawoman, unfortunately, yes - there’s a storylet that appears everywhere and raises your Heart’s Desire to 13.

Pale woman. Duchess, or the Widow, or someone we haven’t met.

Isn’t the whole Marvellous storyline about trying to get folks to have the game more often than its usual interval? I seem to remember that interval as being four years, but I could be wrong. If it is four years, that may very well end up being the amount of real-world time that will have passed between when I started the Ambition and when I finish it, at this rate. :D
edited by Woogawoman on 5/3/2012

I always assumed the sixth player was Tristam’s sister.

Indeed. The astronomer says there won’t be another game for at least five years. I think Duke was trying to figure out why they bothered waiting so long in between - is it something in the nature of the power involved? An excuse for the Bazaar to limit how much of the power it gives out? I certainly can’t get a handle on how the game works. Though if the Bazaar is running it, I doubt the odds are fair.

Umm… I’m pretty sure Feducci is not a player. The only players I can recall are Tristram Bagley, the monkey, the Bishop of St. Fiacres, the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem, and yourself.

Is the monkey a snuffer? o.o

Umm… I’m pretty sure Feducci is not a player. The only players I can recall are Tristram Bagley, the monkey, the Bishop of St. Fiacres, the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem, and yourself.[/quote]

Joking?

No, the monkey is not a Snuffer. Snuffers eat candles, don’t forget that.

[quote=MaskedGentleman]Joking?

No, the monkey is not a Snuffer. Snuffers eat candles, don’t forget that.[/quote]

Of course he’s joking! We all met a Marvellous player who’s very fond of candles already ^^

The seven years hiatus between games is some sort of tradition… Tied to some star configuration, but not mandatory at all, as it seems to be entirely possible to play the Marvellous ahead of time - as long as you manage to convince the blasted players -.-"

About freedom of entering the contest - I think I recall Cora Bagley mentioning the place at the Marvellous something like a family heirloom - with the members of family bearing the honor/duty to attend. Tristram was playing a bit the black sheep before the game that made him become the Topsy King. Well, at least I interpreted this way her allusion to the Marvellous as a “family affair”.

[quote=Woogawoman]I am actually already on Polythreme but don’t see anything new. Will I need to head back to London, click some storylet once, then travel all the way back? Hmm.[/quote]

Yes, there’s one storylet opening up in London before being able to keep following the Ambition in Polythreme. SPOILER[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]It involves looking for the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem and passing a Watchful test (chancy at 127)[/color]/SPOILER

Umm… I’m pretty sure Feducci is not a player. The only players I can recall are Tristram Bagley, the monkey, the Bishop of St. Fiacres, the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem, and yourself.[/quote]

Not Feducci… The Manager himself!
edited by streetfelineblue on 5/4/2012

I advise bringing a bottle of Fourth City Airag with you to Polythreme.

Will I lose it?