The IroNoman Marathon

WARNING
The first warning for Pails melting has been seen, when you get this message via TtH, your next TtH will melt your pails.

Alright, I’m going to keep a Noman alive until the Feast. Who else is?

Attempting
An Individual 15 ToL - 30 Pails - 2 Tears
Cecil 15 ToL - 33 Pails - 14 Tears
Cocytus 15+ ToL - 7 Pails - 12 Tears
Colin Sapherson 18 Pails - 5 Tears
Furak 21 Pails - 11 Tears
Loiathal 21 Pails - 11 Tears
Màiread
Mimic 12 Pails - 9 Tears
Mordaine Barimen 17 ToL - 24 Pails - 17 Tears
neongrey
RandomWalker 12 ToL - 4 Pails - 40 Tears
Sir Joseph Marlen 15 ToL - 26 Pails - 11 Tears
Toran 17 Pails - 11 Tears
xenopus 12 Pails - 6 Tears

Tattoo bearers
NiteBrite
bjorntfh

These are dates things have happened on before, but remember:

Sacksmas Guide

Advent Calendar
December 1st (~Dec 25th)

The 12 Days of Mr Sacks
December 25th (~Jan 5th?)

Penstock’s Wicket
January 6th (~31st?)

Bucket melt warning
Warned by the Apicius Club
(February 1st?)

Feast of the Exceptional Rose Guide

Feast of the Exceptional Rose
Febuary 14th

Lilac
Febuary 20th?

Noman Price Watch

7/1/16 - 3 ToL
8/1/16 - 3 ToL
9/1/16 - 5 ToL
10/1/16 - 5 ToL
11/1/16 - 5 ToL
12/1/16 - 7 ToL
13/1/16 - 7 ToL
14/1/16 - 7 ToL
15/1/16 - 9 ToL
16/1/16 - 9 ToL
17/1/16 - 9 ToL
18/1/16 - 9 ToL
19/1/16 - 9 ToL
20/1/16 - 9 ToL
21/1/16 - 12 ToL
22/1/16 - 12 ToL
23/1/16 - 12 ToL
24/1/16 - 15 ToL
25/1/16 - 15 ToL

edited by Cecil on 2/6/2016
edited by Cecil on 2/9/2016

(Before anyone, like me, decides to ask what you can get from doing this: )

The tattoo ‘The Face In The Snow’ that you can get from still having a Noman during the FotER event gives +1 Dreaded.

edited by Kittenpox on 1/19/2016

For clarification, the tattoo is a bragging rights reward and no more potent than any other tattoo. (The Noman does also unlock one conversation option with Lilac during her storyline.)

Where are you getting these dates? They seem really optimistic. Like, you have pails melting on the 8th?? They melted on the 1st last year. I will grant you that the pails hover text no longer says &quotat the end of January&quot but instead says &quotat the end of winter&quot, but Holidays are centered around key unmovable benchmarks, in this case Valentines Day. FoTER must start on the 14th, and Lilac showed up last year on the 20th (within a week). I know the first of February is a Friday this year, but even if you were optimistic and pushed the melting out to the next monday that would still only be the 4th (which even that seems optimistic). If you had pails on the 8th, your noman would only have to live like 12 days?? What? That can’t be right, there would be no challenge to survive less than 2 weeks.

Also you show Lilac as showing up on the 25th last year but that’s not right and its easily disapproven by looking at the (spoiler) noman tattoo echo on my journal which is clearly dated the 20th. I could see it if you said she had to show up on the 25th this year to keep her appearance on a Thursday, but it feels pushed out relative to the holiday benchmark of the 14th which is when FoTER must start. Basically, Lilac showed up in less than a week of FoTER’s start last year, and the 25th would push her out to nearly 2 weeks into the event despite her being its key mechanic for masquing gain. That really doesn’t seem like it would work to me. Holidays aren’t typically more than 3-4 weeks long, so it would be really weird to delay lilac for 2 weeks after the 14th. I’d think she’d still fall in that roughly 1 week window of being around the 19th or 22nd so that the events of the rest of FoTER can proceed normally.

If you put minimum noman survival at 3 weeks (to keep a baseline challenge level across years) it would fit that pails melt on the 1st, a Monday, and then she would appear around the 19th or 22nd (about 3 weeks later). Its not perfect, but it fits last year’s 20 day schedule of the 31st to the 20th better than the 8th to the 25th (~17 days) as you have listed.

Another thing, I am not the only person with the noman tattoo. If you look into the Noman Husbandry thread from 2014 (which has tips from the past, while it was still fresh on our minds), you will see that Bjorntfh also got the tattoo albeit they used direct applications of 53 bottles of tears instead of using taste. Their quote of ‘My wallet weeps’ is appropriate for the non-optimized method they used.

I don’t know. Maybe you’ve got good dates and I am not thinking about it right. Really the important thing is to watch out for the warning signs like de gustibus and be ready to shift plans on a moment’s notice. I’m just worried that dates extending over a week into February are going to get people to shave it too close if we aren’t careful.

I think you’re right. I cited the 8th for bucket melting warning because the 8th is the second Monday of February and the Apiscus Club meets every second Monday. Buckets starting to melt on the first makes sense though. I’ll update everything.

I found those dates from forum posts and tweets. you can scroll over the dates, they’re all linked. I considered putting in a question mark about the dates I was uncertain about, but figured the quote from FBG and citing that these were dates from previous years would be clarification enough. I’ll add question marks now.

Good job Cecil! I’ve been meaning to make a thread like this. I am also going for the tattoo this year. Best of luck to everyone and don’t forget to give your snowpeople a hug.

Yup, good thread. Colin Sapherson (my main) is also going for the tattoo and I have just now created my Noman. Here’s hoping my 18 buckets and 5 Tears (and counting) will not go to waste. If I’m not unlucky with melting I think I’ll make it…
edited by colinsapherson on 1/19/2016

Maybe next year, I sure can’t afford it this time. About how much will one bucket of snow extend a Noman’s life?

– Mal

According to the wiki,

1 Bucket = 5 Noman’s Friend, 1 ToL = 3 NF, 1Tears of the Bazaar = a random 1-25 NF (possibly more). You need to draw Noman’s progress to do the first two however.

Oh, this is exciting! Best of luck to all!
Keep us posted.
Will join next year.

I’ll be making a run at it. 15 ToL, 30 pails, 2 Tears, crossed fingers.

Great post, Cecil! I’d like to add that I’m soon to have 11 Tears to go along with the rest of my lacre sources.

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]According to the wiki,

1 Bucket = 5 Noman’s Friend, 1 ToL = 3 NF, 1Tears of the Bazaar = a random 1-25 NF (possibly more). You need to draw Noman’s progress to do the first two however.[/quote]
To clarify, this means that the most efficient way to use Buckets and Tears is to convert them to Taste of Lacre and use that on the Noman. One Bucket therefore gives 9 NF via monocle and one Tears gives on average 6 Taste for 18 NF.
edited by Optimatum on 1/19/2016

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]According to the wiki,

1 Bucket = 5 Noman’s Friend, 1 ToL = 3 NF, 1Tears of the Bazaar = a random 1-25 NF (possibly more). You need to draw Noman’s progress to do the first two however.[/quote]
To clarify, this means that the most efficient way to use Buckets and Tears is to convert them to Taste of Lacre and use that on the Noman. One Bucket therefore gives 15 NF via monocle and one Tears gives on average 6 Taste for 18 NF.[/quote]

I’m fairly confident that one Bucket gives 9 NF via monocle, not 15. It’s the method I’m using.

Looking at everyone’s supply list, I see that I’m the under-prepared one of the Nomarathon runners. Well, I’d just better hope I’m in good form (or rather that my Noman is). So far, I’ve already spent 5 Buckets and gained and lost one vial of Tears, and my Noman’s sitting pretty at 175 NF.

Okay I just can’t read, you are completely correct in terms of NF gain.

Incidentally, Noman prices seems to be different this year, slightly.

Firstly, the starting price didn’t include deep amber and, secondly, the first 2 price hikes were exactly with a 3 day delay but it’s already been 5 days since the last hike.

53 bottles of tears. 53!

Every time I think I might be overdoing it a bit with my item-hoarding, I am made to feel slightly less insane by this forum :)

And a noman would make for an ugly tattoo anyway…
edited by yetanotherone on 1/20/2016

Yeah, I wept gently when I heard the cost of that tattoo last year.

This thread is so wonderful - I really do feel like a spectator on the sidelines cheering all the marathoners on. Has anyone recently said good things about Fallen London and the wonderful community on the Forums? No? Really? Well, this is a great community centred around an exceptional game! Three cheers!

And I’m off to amble around the carnival for face painting and cotton candy - surely a marathon of this renown would have a carnival?

Go Sir Joseph and Colin! I didn’t recommend you rascals to Slowcake for nothing!