The Iron Republic?

That’s worrying as I only have three. I’d best double that as soon as I can.

I have none. I will procure some as soon as possible. How many do you think I’ll need? Also, should I run out, will I be able to create them there? or will I need to return to the fifth city?

I would be very surprised if we were able to get more Portfolios over there. Not impossible, but it would probably make it too easy, and Ambitions aren’t supposed to be easy. Best play safe and have some in hand before you arrive.

No, you will not be able to create them there. I don’t even think Portfolios can be created through conversion.

You will need a few. Three won’t be enough, double that number will be too much, but not too much…

[quote=Lawrence Growe]No, you will not be able to create them there. I don’t even think Portfolios can be created through conversion.

You will need a few. Three won’t be enough, double that number will be too much, but not too much…[/quote]
Ok, so let’s grind infernal items… However, I will only be doing this while waiting for the “Secrets and Spending” card… Once I get my safe-conduct, I’m going to the Republic, and if I need to go back for more items, so be it.

Is there a better way to grind souls other than the Unfinished Business one?
edited by Vyrlokar on 5/4/2012

Not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

I wish you luck with the Secrets and Spending. Gaining marks has to be the most irritating, unmeaning and insufferable mechanic I encountered in this game over the course of more than two years.

Well, to be fair, another place that uses a mechanic similar to the Iron Republic is… [color=#ffffff]the Tomb-Colonies, which I rather enjoyed. The very place is most peculiar, and the narrative being delivered through letters home bears a unique charm I grew rather fond of. [/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]Concerning the Iron Republic I can say this: some of us did mention that Polythreme was nowhere as horrific as the Clay Men told us it would be (“THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP”), so here we have a truly vile place no sane person would ever set foot upon unless hard pressed by absolute necessity…[/color]

[quote=MrChris]Indeed. The Iron Republic tests a wide and peculiar range of attributes, quirks and connections.

And for those who, like me, are pursuing a Nemesis, I would add that spoiler [color=#ffffff]you would do well to carry a good number of Portfolios of Souls [/color]spoiler.[/quote]

I, also, pursue my Nemesis - but can see no sign in Fallen London! Should I be seeing an option now (I have a safe conduct), or does the next chapter begin in the Iron Republic? I am impatient to be at Zee…

[quote=Lawrence Growe]Not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

I wish you luck with the Secrets and Spending. Gaining marks has to be the most irritating, unmeaning and insufferable mechanic I encountered in this game over the course of more than two years.[/quote]
I do have a consonant violin and 2 marks. Gaining the marks isn’t that bad as long as you have all 4 aquaintances. Mind you, I had fun grinding 33 coruscating souls via the fidgeting writer story…

[quote=bethanar]
I, also, pursue my Nemesis - but can see no sign in Fallen London! Should I be seeing an option now (I have a safe conduct), or does the next chapter begin in the Iron Republic? I am impatient to be at Zee…[/quote]

The next chapter does indeed begin in the Iron Republic. You will stumble across it at some point in your stay.

Ahah! My thanks :) I shall set zail forthwith.

Is there any compelling reason at the moment to visit the Iron Republic if one is not pursuing the Nemesis ambition? As aside from that it sounds like a rather dreadful place.
edited by wlerin on 5/5/2012

I’ve found two new qualities you keep with you when you leave (one of which looks like a grindable Accomplishment with various named levels) and one unique equippable item. Said item raises a stat that no other item in its slot raises, as far as I know, and you can get more than one and sell it for a decent price. My gut says it’s not enough to be a viable cash grind in and of itself, but enough so that time in the Republic isn’t “wasted” in terms of financial benefit. And the lore’s… weird, certainly, but there are some tie-ins to the rest of the world. (You find out what happened to a certain character from a previous story.)

I’m curious just how many storylets there are in here. The Days I’ve seen so far are: [color=#ffffff]1, 8, 12, 15, 17, 19, 27, 32, 34, 38, 40, 42, 48, 51, 61, 64, 81 (The Day Numbers Stopped Working), 99 ([CENSORED]), and 0 (A Day for Reading).
[color=#000000]
Edit: To correct myself on a few things, turns out the Accomplishment only has one level, which you get on your first time through. I also found another item that grants the same stat that aforementioned equipment provides, but it’s in the Ambition: Nemesis Iron Republic content anyway.[/color]
[/color]
edited by Aspeon on 5/8/2012

[quote=wlerin]Is there any compelling reason at the moment to visit the Iron Republic if one is not pursuing the Nemesis ambition? As aside from that it sounds like a rather dreadful place.
edited by wlerin on 5/5/2012[/quote]

Depends what you consider a compelling reason. “Because it’s there” would have been quite enough reason for me, even if I had not been pursuing Nemesis. :)

I very much think it is worth experiencing at least once, although I can understand Passionario’s dismay with the nature of the place. [trivial spoiler for the structure of IR storylets, but cut for those who don’t want to know anything at all in advance] [color=#ffffff]Entering the Iron Republic is akin to launching oneself down an insane twisting fairground helter-skelter slide - I enjoyed the hurtling ride a great deal (and I think [/color] [color=#ffffff]there are more branches than Passionario implies; yes, you only get one storylet offered at a time, but I believe that the majority do branch, as my second run through was quite different to the first. I will keep more careful track of storylets next time through[/color]). It is certainly very different from anything else in FL.

Possibly one might find it frustrating if one goes too early; delicious friends who have thoroughly explored all the other content (and thus have collected a number of peculiar qualities) will get the most enjoyment, I suspect.

I do wonder at whether those whose qualities are particularly high will have any chance to access some of the paths - those which rely on a failure.

I want to go but not until after I recover a bit first. So what do I need? You know other then 8 or so Portfolios?

I have to disagree with passionario- this is not a railroad, this is a wild rollercoaster ride which might take you to unknown places. In fact there are several branching paths all with theier own ways of screwing you. Now i am very very pissed because of the whole 1 visit per 1 zee voyage thing but hey if Failbetter wants to milk us a bit more power to them.
Some more thoughts on this…thing.
I love how it just feels like a set of letters from a person going more and more confused and insane every passing day. I hate how there are no explanations on the las fate-locked choice. I love how it it tests weird qualities like commited and admirer of art. I hate how it makes little sense for them not to be replaced with luck checks. I love the potential reward. I hate how it has 3! fate-locked 1-time options. I love how this place is INSANE. I hate how this place is INSANE.
INSANE INSANE INSANE INSANE INSANE INSANE InSaNe iNsAnE iiiinnnnsssaaaaneeeee…

I spent time in the Iron Republic last night and…wow. It is incredibly strange, and NOTHING like any other region we have explored to date in the Neath. That’s all I’m going to say for now.

[quote=Lawrence Growe]Not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

I wish you luck with the Secrets and Spending. Gaining marks has to be the most irritating, unmeaning and insufferable mechanic I encountered in this game over the course of more than two years.[/quote]

I disagree; I think the process of increasing your Investigating and/or Fascinating qualities in Polythreme is the most irritating mechanic. However, reasonable persons can certainly differ in their opinions on this point.

[quote=cathyr19355][quote=Lawrence Growe]Not that I am aware of, unfortunately.

I disagree; I think the process of increasing your Investigating and/or Fascinating qualities in Polythreme is the most irritating mechanic. However, reasonable persons can certainly differ in their opinions on this point.[/quote]
The trick is to start the main investigating and fascinating storylines, and then use the card they unlock to raise your investigating or fascinating. Spend the rest of the actions grinding romantic notions and surface silk.