The Iron Republic?

Oh look. ‘Secrets and Spending’ now has a new option. How interesting.

Blast it all! And just when I thought I was done with such pedestrian concerns as “money.” My sea voyage shall wait until I have seen to all of my acquaintances. I shall obtain safe conduct to the Republic!

Well…as safe as one can be.

My hideous luck in Fallen London continues to stalk me. It shall be some time before I make my way to the Iron Republic.

(Translation: I’ve failed three luck checks for Marks of Credit, leaving me with precisely 0 of these items, so…I see this is going to take me awhile :) )

What’s the cost on the Secrets and Spending option? I’m curious how it compares with the Local Gossip option. (especially as it requires finishing a CtD loop, and CtD is the limiting factor on the Numismatrix when you’re at stat cap and/or impatient)

The Spending Secrets option requires two fewer Mark pages and only half as much Hell connection, I believe.

Is anyone else concerned about the “You will be permanently changed” text?

Apparently, people have already gotten some or all of their Marks of Credit. I have been playing this game for ages, have all stats maxed and am A Person of Some Importance. Yet I have never once seen the opportunity to obtain such a thing.

Am I having remarkably horrid luck or is there something I am overlooking. I very, very, very seldom see any content or opportunity cards from the NUmismatrix…I have seen maybe a grand total of 5 cards related to herin all the time I have played. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it or not.

How, exactly, does one get these marks of credit? Could someone be a dear and spell it out to me as though I am a foolish child?

The first step is to get to Spending Secrets 4:
-If you don’t have the quality at all, there’s an opportunity card called “The Numismatrix”, or an option to start the story at the Local Gossip in your Lodgings. This starts a timer and gives you Spending Secrets 1.
-When the timer goes off, Spending Secrets increases to 2 and there’ll be a message. (In the Messages section of the front page, if I recall correctly.) Playing that will raise Spending Secrets to 3.
-Then you have to wait for an opportunity card called “Picking a Team,” which gives you Aligned with a Faction and Spending Secrets 4.

Then you have a lot of options, depending on your Faction, acquaintances, and current level of Counting the Days- [color=00ffff]this thread[/color][color=00ffff] [/color]has a good list of where to find them, but the requirements are a bit out of date. Almost all of those options increasing Counting the Days, and several of them increase A Pocketful of Loose Change. You want to get Loose Change to 4, then Counting the Days to 14. At Counting the Days 14, you have to wait for a new card, “Secrets and Spending.” That has several options that reset Counting the Days: “Gaining a Mark” requires Loose Change 4, and is a luck challenge that gives you a Mark of Credit and resets Loose Change if you succeed.

I don’t think the Local Gossip’s option is intended to be used, really. Once you have 3 Marks, you have to wait for the card again to get your fourth - and at that point there’s no point at all in getting a mark instead of the Safe-Conduct.

I’m assuming the Local Gossip is just being used to point people to the story. Though I think that function of the Gossip should be pointed out somewhere more prominent. Maybe on the messages tab, along with the link to the fourms?

[quote=Mortimer Blunt]I don’t think the Local Gossip’s option is intended to be used, really. Once you have 3 Marks, you have to wait for the card again to get your fourth - and at that point there’s no point at all in getting a mark instead of the Safe-Conduct.

I’m assuming the Local Gossip is just being used to point people to the story. Though I think that function of the Gossip should be pointed out somewhere more prominent. Maybe on the messages tab, along with the link to the fourms?[/quote]

Or if you happen to be sitting on 5 Marks prior to the option opening up, so you can save yourself the trouble of running through the Counting the Days business.

AAAAAAAAUGH!

Having fortuitously been able to acquire safe conduct straight away, I rushed out to Zee and after a record-breaking voyage (extremely good luck with charting a new course) I am now poised at the very docks of the Iron Republic…

… and I have just discovered that Darkdrop Coffee cannot be used here.

MY PAIN, LET ME SHARE IT WITH YOU

Fellow Exceptional Friends, refresh your candles before pulling in to berth… sigh

Imagine my dismay, to have bounded out my door following the path the Manager laid out only to find that I could have stopped at my lodgings. From where my 6 marks of credit would surely have been enough to get passage into the Iron Republic while I was already out to sea. (I had been saving up since it was leaked this would be through the Nusimatrix.)

Am in the Iron Republic.

It is genius.

And insane.

And dangerous.

And you can’t use any form of menace reduction items here. Be warned!

[quote=Quil]

And you can’t use any form of menace reduction items here. Be warned![/quote]

Does that include clothing and pets?

[quote=Anna Carbonyl][quote=Quil]

And you can’t use any form of menace reduction items here. Be warned![/quote]

Does that include clothing and pets?[/quote]

Happily one is not required to go unclad in the Iron Republic. Even devils are not so uncouth.

One may freely bring one’s menagerie and followers, but be warned that some of them may be inspired by the general lawlessness to… behave in unexpected ways.

Menaces, by the way, do not appear to be a cause for concern here. I am somewhat nervous that I may implode in a nightmare-ridden, blood-drenched, scandalous heap the instant I set foot in London again, mind.

(now on my second loop through, still in pursuit of my Nemesis… taking notes, trying to determine if this place is truly lawless or if there is a method underlying the madness)
edited by Quil on 5/3/2012

Is there anything in particular we should bring?

/feverishly buttering up Acquaintances

A dear friend of mine has gone to that dreadful place and is writing to me. If he is to be believed, and I have no reason to doubt his words, that place is nothing but brutal.

I advise you to unburden yourself of ails and maladies before you depart, and do bring a Horsehead amulet along with you. One cannot do wrong in a place such as the Iron Republic if he has a Horsehead amulet about his person.

P. S. Perhaps I should also mention that my dear friend cannot leave. I do miss him so.

[quote=the_antichris]Is there anything in particular we should bring?

/feverishly buttering up Acquaintances[/quote]

A great variety of quirks.

(no, really)

[quote=Passionario]
And has no shortage of luck-based challenges. :) [/quote]

Not precisely true… :)

(Slightly spoilerly explanation:[color=#ffffff] Most things are skill tests. They’re just testing rather unusual qualities…[/color].)

Indeed. The Iron Republic tests a wide and peculiar range of attributes, quirks and connections.

And for those who, like me, are pursuing a Nemesis, I would add that spoiler [color=#ffffff]you would do well to carry a good number of Portfolios of Souls [/color]spoiler.