The Inflammatory Salon

You’re right about the comparison of urchins to wolves, Hark. But, then again, it isn’t wise to raise a sheep in the lion’s den.
I have sponsored nearly a hundred urchins that have fallen from grace with The Knotted Sock and other gangs. Without the protection of these outfits, they’d be as good as dead. Of course, they don’t go to any government school or apprenticeship. They’re better than that.

We would love to as soon we figure out some. difficulties. My first wife and I had to adopt. I don’t why my parents made reproduction such a pain when they created me. Breeding a race of monsters or some such rot.
Turns out the Bishop was less then helpful in these matters, even if he did help us get some very nice pets.

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]

We would love to as soon we figure out some. difficulties. My first wife and I had to adopt. I don’t why my parents made reproduction such a pain when they created me. Breeding a race of monsters or some such rot.
Turns out the Bishop was less then helpful in these matters, even if he did help us get some very nice pets.[/quote]

Flesh-Stick: Maybe the other bishop can help you. i think he’s trying to turn himself into a real boy, so maybe he can do the same to you and your wife. although personally, i think the bishop, you, and your wife are just fine as you are, but being human would make reproduction easier so i dunno.
edited by Kukapetal on 4/4/2016

My parents took great care in creating me. I wouldn’t want to carelessly throw that away. Though, perhaps he would have some ideas that are a bit less drastic. . .and my wife being human means it wouldn’t be so easy to kill her. . .
Thank you very much Flesh-stick.

Since the bishop’s understanding of procreation begins and ends with ‘feed it to a bat’ I’m not surprised he couldn’t help you. Have you considered looking elsewhere for help? Perhaps beneath your feet to Flute Street? Rubbery Men are, after all, masters of meddling with biology and I’m sure they could help either you or your wife. If you’re willing to take a trip sideways instead of down there’s the House of the Question in Whither. I don’t quite understand Salt myself but I’m told it has something to do with families. Certainly the children of those who displease it often die, so perhaps those who please it have little ones that live?

I’ve been with the rubbery men before, but they seem to find a bit of puzzle when it comes to my biology at the very least. We did get a lovely hound from it.
Now the House of Question is another recommendation I have not heard of before. Has anyone else here heard the rumors?

Try Dr. Vaughn. I heard from one of my colleagues she lives out somewhere on a remote island or such. If I recall correctly, someone came to her with an obstetrician question a while back.
I don’t recommend going to Whither. You’ll need lots of patience, they only speak out loud in questions .

[quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole]Try Dr. Vaughn. I heard from one of my colleagues she lives out somewhere on a remote island or such. If I recall correctly, someone came to her with an obstetrician question a while back.
I don’t recommend going to Whither. You’ll need lots of patience, they only speak out loud in questions .[/quote]
They do say the House of the Question is the only place you can get a straight answer in the whole area, but I admit it’s probably a long shot. As for Dr. Vaughn, I don’t think she’d help much. She’s an expert on Moon-misers and glim, not Snuffers. Besides, she’s more concerned with stopping poor Clarabelle’s pregnancy before it kills her.

[quote=Hark DeGaul][quote=Bertrand Leonidas Poole]Try Dr. Vaughn. I heard from one of my colleagues she lives out somewhere on a remote island or such. If I recall correctly, someone came to her with an obstetrician question a while back.
I don’t recommend going to Whither. You’ll need lots of patience, they only speak out loud in questions .[/quote]
They do say the House of the Question is the only place you can get a straight answer in the whole area, but I admit it’s probably a long shot. As for Dr. Vaughn, I don’t think she’d help much. She’s an expert on Moon-misers and glim, not Snuffers. Besides, she’s more concerned with stopping poor Clarabelle’s pregnancy before it kills her.[/quote]

I merely supposed she might be interested in hybrids in general.

For all the time I’ve spent ripping off the gangs of Rubbery Men around Spite, they’ve never ceased to be a source of amazement… and disquiet.
If you’re looking to tinker with biology, they’d be your people. Took weeks for my eyebrows to grow back, the quacks.

Flesh-Stick: does it bug anyone else that every time rubbery men feature in a plot, the narration gets so heavy-handed?

OMG THE POOR RUBBERY MEN EVERYONE IS SO MEAN TO THEM AND THEY NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG DON’T HUMANS SUCK???

i’m a human and i don’t suck. unless you want me to, anyway. hmmph.

[quote=Kukapetal]Flesh-Stick: does it bug anyone else that every time rubbery men feature in a plot, the narration gets so heavy-handed?

OMG THE POOR RUBBERY MEN EVERYONE IS SO MEAN TO THEM AND THEY NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG DON’T HUMANS SUCK???

i’m a human and i don’t suck. unless you want me to, anyway. hmmph.[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, the conflict involving the constables and London’s favourite lumps source has the rubberies trying to use one of their own as a scapegoat.

&quotI like those fierce, foul-mouthed little rooftop nomads. If I had time to look after a child, I might adopt.&quot

[quote=The Absurd Rogue]You’re right about the comparison of urchins to wolves, Hark. But, then again, it isn’t wise to raise a sheep in the lion’s den.
I have sponsored nearly a hundred urchins that have fallen from grace with The Knotted Sock and other gangs. Without the protection of these outfits, they’d be as good as dead. Of course, they don’t go to any government school or apprenticeship. They’re better than that.[/quote]

&quotI often find that true charity is of the kind society- and the law- frowns upon. I commend you.&quot

“I wonder if anyone has ever tried to simply build a child. Can’t be much worse then a zubmarine.”

[quote=Kukapetal]Flesh-Stick: does it bug anyone else that every time rubbery men feature in a plot, the narration gets so heavy-handed?

i’m a human and i don’t suck. unless you want me to, anyway. hmmph.[/quote]

(No, they’re just heavy-handed enough for me. PRO-RUBBERY!)

In regards to rubbery ooc knowledge, isn’t there some destiny about redeeming the flukes? Which means they did something in first place. . .

I would not recommend building a child from 20 Whirring Contraptions and a few bejewelled lenses. The poor mite would not only be unusually shiny and valuable, opening them up to the threat of kidnapping, but they’d also be very easy to damage. All those moving parts would also be a nightmare to clean. I suggest just finding something suitably child-shaped (a monkey for instance) and feeding it souls until it begins to adopt a satisfactory amount of human characteristics. Then adopt it and voila, you have a child!

You try getting into a knife fight with a rubbery man in a back alley in Veilgarden and then tell me that you’re pro-rubbery. It’s all business to me, but urrghh. Too many legs. I didn’t even lose the fight and I had to sit down for a couple hours and think about what I had just seen.

(*Wounds is increasing…
*Nightmares is increasing…)

Wonderful people, nice culture, decent table manners, but they are rutheless businessmen. That means that their crime lords are amazingly lucrative… and they don’t like competition.

Flesh-Stick: you don’t have to be anti-rubbery to find the narration a bit anvilicious…

(( Sorry, I was answering In Character. I agree on the narration bit fo sho, but it was just as bad with the Clay Men IMO. Squids are less relatable, even if they wear waiscoats. The clothes don’t make the weird Lovecraft monster ))

looks in the center of the room and coughs awkwardly

Is no one going to talk about the glim sculpture in the middle of the room? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t here when we sat down and it’s starting to skeeve me out.