The Fallen London Advent Calendar

Fallen London rings in another year. Christmastide – and the customary covering of ‘snow’ – is set to fall upon the city once more.

The Fallen London Advent Calendar

From today until the 25th of December we’ll be handing out advent treats via the Fallen London Advent Calendar, available in-game for the first time.

Advent started out as a way of encouraging players to follow our social media accounts; over the years, the role it played for Fallen London players has drifted, and so we’ve decided to change it to better fit what it’s become. We’re retiring the separate Advent web page, and making Advent a story available from anywhere in London, instead.

With this, come a few specific mechanical changes.

• You now need to claim all Advent rewards in order. You’ll be able to ‘catch up’ and claim any and all rewards until the end of the year; previously, access codes would only stay active for a few days.
  • However, opening the doors on the days when they become available will give you a little extra.
  • You’ll need to be in London to do this.

Having Advent be a full-fledged storylet lets us do a few things we couldn’t before.

As ever, rewards for Advent shift year to year, though there are some fixed points. Old doors are retired, new doors are added. Remember always that some doors cannot be unopened.

Christmas Cards

Tell your friends you are thinking of them this festive season. (Don’t tell them what you are thinking of them.) Neathy Christmas cards are now available in four designs, with room for your own message!

Your stock of cards will be replenished weekly by Time, the Healer, from noon on the 2nd of December.

You need to be acquaintances with another player before you can send them a Christmas card. Attend to Matters of Society in your Social Engagements, where you can send a calling card to a contact to make their acquaintance. We hope you have a happy – or at least interesting – festive season in the Fifth City.

4 Likes

It certainly feels more fluent this way.
But I miss those gorgeus art :pensive:

3 Likes

Is it possible that you would be willing to release the former Advent Calender art as a wallpaper or something of that nature? I think it would make a lovely desktop background.

14 Likes

Hear, hear!!

By the way, is anyone having difficulty sending seasonal cards in game? I can’t type any messages, because there seems to be some new bl–dy outfit shortcuts locked to the keys. So any words containing a, s, d, f, or g (at least) are out! Is there a way to disable the blasted hotkeys?

3 Likes

Hmmm, img preview doesn’t work so here’s just the link.

Here you go!
Difference is that the page had a transparent PNG with snow in the upper part. If you want that, you can check web.archive and take a print screen. If you want the doors too, check this snapshot.

7 Likes

I have had no trouble putting my messages in Christmas cards.

By the way, has anyone managed to get today’s Advent calendar gift yet?

1 Like

It’s the cards that you said you’ve been sending, like it is every year on the first day of Advent.

2 Likes

Today (Dec 1)’s gift is the cards you just mentioned sending? Unless you are very far ahead of London timezonewise and today is actually Dec 2, in which case you likely will have to wait for the servers to catch up

3 Likes

There is also an Extraordinary Implication.

2 Likes

Only if you claim the cards on December 1: “opening the doors on the days when they become available will give you a little extra.”

3 Likes

Sorry, but where are the Advent Calendar doors? I can’t find them anywhere on the screen. I remember in previous years, there’s a link somewhere on the top left of the page.

1 Like

I have saved the Advent Calendar picture of previous years. Here it is: advent_full.png

Edit: the original picture is 2.5Mb in size and 4000 x 2250 resolution, but posting it directly here somehow downscales the image to 1920 x 1080.

A copy is put on Imgur:
imgur (dot) com (slash) wVA7l9a.png

8 Likes

Pinned storylet anywhere in London, quite like the ones from Hallowmas or your Professional Reward.

2 Likes

So I presume we won’t see that little door opening animation like previous years?

I was super scared whenever I got the Rat of Glory in one of the doors, I heard that it devours all the candles in your inventory. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Duh. I’d forgotten that’s how they’d been doing that. For some reason I never think of those as a gift. Thanks.

3 Likes

Only if you use it! If it sits in your inventory, it behaves quite nicely indeed.

2 Likes

I don’t seem to have a gift. Were the cards the gift, then? They used to be a separate thing entirely.

I already miss the old one. It actually felt like those Advent Calendars you had as a kid. This doesn’t feel like anything much. Oh well…

3 Likes

Both the items description/hover text & the text on the “light your rat of glory” storylet do warn of a risk that it might come awake and wreak havoc if left unattended in ones inventory for too long…

(though I agree there’s no evidence it is actually currently capable of doing so)

3 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of those things that I have accumulated over the years and none of them have ever gone off bang.

Oh dear, famous last words, eh? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Christmas cards have always been Day 1 of the advent calendar. And then more cards from TtH during the month.

3 Likes