The Election

The new seasonal event is here and everyone is having a grand time: arguing over which candidate deserves our support, complaining that fixers have it too hard, admiring those brand new +5 watchful boots; it’s very fun and all, yet I feel like we’re missing something of the big picture.

Why are we having an election, exactly?

The Masters have never had issues with running an authoritarian regime, yet now they’re asking the people of London to elect someone to represent them, even allowing a (probably-known) revolutionary to run. My guess is that they feel their leather grip on this city slipping (look no further than to Lost in Reflections and An Obscure Future) and this is just a ploy to try and make the citizens more compliant to their rule, yet there might be an even more hidden motive behind this move.

The in-game lore isn’t being very helpful either, as all investigations focus on learning more about the candidates, but not about the election itself; of course, we don’t know how this event will play out, yet I feel like when the lead is announced next Monday we might get a chance to dig even deeper into this mess, as I don’t think FBG would leave us so lore-dry about such an unexpected development.

[quote=Dedivax]
Why are we having an election, exactly? [/quote]

To sell posters

The more i investigate him, the more I think supporting The Bishop is a bad choice.

[spoiler]His campaign is being partly funded by devils in disguise, and he’s clearly running on hate because he left someone in hell he cared about.

I think the devils are COUNTING on that hate. They WANT him to be Mayor. They WANT him to be in power becausxe HE’S PLAYING RIGHT INTO THEIR FIRY LITLLE HANDS.[/spoiler]

The Masters have never cared about politics, they are the servants of the Bazaar and they have bought the city and have a great grasp on it, but London is free to run itself, I do think we have been a little dry on lore for this festival, though the politics in London seem to have been losing importance since the fall it is still quite an event, maybe it will become clearer in the following weeks, maybe it’s just to sell posters, after all we do know London’s purpose is to atrophy into oblivion and then down comes the sixth city.

I should agree with you Kylestien.

I think it is a plot to restart the War.

I don’t know about that - the Masters keep a pretty tight grip on certain elements of politics. Political economy, especially. Try challenging the established order and it’s even odds whether you’ll end up in New Newgate, the Orphanage or Corpsecage Island.

Well, in matters of the Bazaar look to love and all that. This could be part of an experiment in passionate, but non-romantic love. An engine for generating stories of passionate love for a candidate and their cause instead of the passions of lovers.

It could also be a scheme by one or more of the masters to hasten London’s decay and bring about the 6th city. Or maybe they’re just having a laugh.

[quote=Kylestien]The more i investigate him, the more I think supporting The Bishop is a bad choice.

[spoiler]His campaign is being partly funded by devils in disguise, and he’s clearly running on hate because he left someone in hell he cared about.

I think the devils are COUNTING on that hate. They WANT him to be Mayor. They WANT him to be in power becausxe HE’S PLAYING RIGHT INTO THEIR FIRY LITLLE HANDS.[/spoiler][/quote]

The more I hear about the Bishop, the clearer it becomes that he represents the most interesting developments in the overall Fallen London plot.
edited by Beau Mercy on 7/5/2016

In other words, we aren’t electing someone to get new Medicare legislation passed. Forget issues—what storylets are the candidates going to open up?

[quote=Professor Sketch][quote=Beau Mercy]
The more I hear about the Bishop, the clearer it becomes that he represents the most interesting developments in the overall Fallen London plot.
edited by Beau Mercy on 7/5/2016[/quote]

Exactly. The Bishop will provide the most fascinating, memorable, and lasting content for London out of the three options.[/quote]
Does running the city into the ground (a second time) count as lasting? Besides, the man is prejudiced and conflates devils with Hell. They are clearly not monolithic, but the Bishop treats them as such.[li]

After doing some investigation, it’s becoming somewhat clear that all the candidates have certain things going on beneath the surface (and in Fallen London, I’d be downright disappointed if they didn’t)

[spoiler]Sinning Jenny
Her campaign is ostensibly the most humanistic, which contributes strongly to her appeal. However, she started being bankrolled by Mr. Wines, but she seems to have broken ties, or at least traceable ties, to the Bazaar. Her connection to the nuns is interesting, as is her(their) amassing of secrets. Clearly, she is in a strong position to be a powerbroker, ostensibly with charitable intentions. Jenny is quite possibly the most compassionate soul in London, though she’s a survivor as well, and capable of being quite ruthless. Truth be told, though, in my experience in Fallen London, the choices I’ve made from the heart have been among the most dangerous, depraved, and vicious… and I consider the nuns an unknown angle (possibly more info from other Ambition paths I haven’t taken?) it’s clear they are something in the way of monster hunters, and they seem far more concerned with the state of the spirit than the flesh. While there’s plenty of horrors that go bump in the night in the neath, I have to wonder how many other factions comprise their enemies list.

The Jovial Contrarian

The Contrarian has an appealing byline of rationalism, though his allegiances and positions seem murky and changeable. He has links to high society, but also the anarchists, and was being bankrolled to some degree by the Calendar Council, though like Jenny he has apparently cut ties. More strangely, the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem seems heavily entrenched in his campaign, which raises some questions in itself… the manager has some links to not only Parabola, domain of the Fingerkings, but also some reasons to dislike the Bazaar and maybe some links to Polythreme (again, my knowledge is a bit spotty for not having chosen to pursue the Heart’s Desire Ambition). Is this implying the manager is willing to take the nuclear option for supporting the Council against the Bazaar? Or even stranger bedfellows? The Contrarian himself seems desperate to chart a more moderate path of his own choosing, if at all feasible.

The Bishop of Southwark

Is a well-known loony with an axe to grind against hell - well, he has good reason to hate the Devils, really… Anyone who invaded during the War does (though most, including the Regretful Soldier, would consider a second war the height of folly). But he doesn’t seem to have much vision beyond his Ahab-like obsession with conquering Hell, and has largely been played as a buffoon in the past. Despite apparent popular supports from the Oarsmen in the game setting, most of the player don’t consider him at all seriously. Given that Devils are at least partially bankrolling his campaign, it seems likely they don’t take him too seriously either. Or they’re actively courting a dust-up, and he’s something of a Manchurian Candidate (which seems like a popular theory currently, but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense in the context of the factitious natures of devils, and the general disorganization of Hell following the Season of Revolutions). I still need to do a flash lay to learn more secrets of the Bishop’s campaign. {Edit:} Less tawdry than the others - the Bishop lost someone who he loved, and that’s the greater cause for his enmity to the Devils than his religious convictions or his own suffering as a POW.

Updated 7/12

Sinning Jenny
Jenny’s campaign is flush with cash, and apparently the wine is flowing freely at donor luncheons. It appears in addition to collecting secrets and blackmail material, her campaign is engaged in actively compromising as many of their opponents as possible. She has a number of appointed positions planned for various persons who have likely in engaged in providing these secrets. Jenny is also engaged with something to the East (due East, Abbey Rock itself is SW of Wolfstack) - the Khanate? And she’s providing information to them… perhaps it’s not blackmail material for her campaign after all? There are other forces at work on London and the Admiralty, if you’ve played through the Wry Functionary’s story.

The Bishop
The Bishop’s campaign funding is dwindling, but it appears more focused and active than before, with apparent support coming from St Dunstan’s - in the form of secretly collected information. The Bishop plans to publish actual data on the soulless, which is likely the biggest bomb he could possibly drop on the devils in Fallen London. It seems he has at last cottoned onto the the infernal infleunces within his campaign, and his doing his d___dest to cast them all out. However, there remains the mystery of the poet and the Bishop’s lover

The Jovial Contrarian
Appears to be running an efficient campaign, but has recently been making contributions to both the Bishop of Southwark and Sinning Jenny. Is he really trying not to win, or does this somehow play into the Contrarian’s ideas of democracy - or just his generally capricious nature? The Contrarian has reorganized his campaign staff. The Manager is now gone… mother of G_d… replaced by none other than February! It seems the Contrarian may now be something of a prisoner within his own offices. (Which would explain him trying to help his competitors win.)
[/spoiler]

No matter who wins, the results seem likely to be interesting.

[li][/li]
edited by Pnakotic on 7/7/2016[li][/li]

[li]
edited by Pnakotic on 7/13/2016

Nice summary! To briefly fill in such gaps as I can… the Manager and the Sisterhood both have ties to previous cities and their deals with the Bazaar, as revealed in the Ambitions - Heart’s Desire & the First City/Polythreme and Bag A Legend and the Second City, respectively. In both cases, their relationship the Masters and the Bazaar is… complicated. They might work alongside one Master while bitterly opposing another, for instance. In general, they seem… relatively benevolent - they’re both protectors of the public, in a way.

Jenny’s campaign seems, as you say, the most humanistic - she wants to make London safer for the vulnerable. The Contrarian’s campaign is more abstract, concerned with questions of public participation in governance. The Bishop might be buffoonish, but it’s clear he’s been everywhere and seen everything - his single-mindedness at this point seems less a consequence of ignorance and more an enduring character trait.

Not much. If war with hell will happen, it’ll happen either way. such a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. We’ll get to see him campaign against devils and try to drive them out, but we’ll also see him fail to get anywhere- as that would make a number of cards obsolete.

Same with the contrarian, i regret to say. the revolution plot is unlikely to progress much differently because he won rather than lost. there may be a nod to his help in future storylets, but it’d be just that- a tiny nod that makes no significant difference.

That said, if you really are interested in their potential storylets, the devil’s candidate and the contrarian are the best choices.

We’re having the election so that Sinning Jenny can take her rightful place as head of London affairs.

Yes, so that her lies, blackmailing and poisoning can all be praised, but she will change London, will make it a better place for the poor! Never saw any politicians saying the same thing before.

The Bishop once shot a man just for having red hair. The Contrarian killed an officer of Her Enduring Majesty’s Admiralty in a tureen of sprouts. Your point?

My point is that she isn’t much better than those 2, she is not a saint, and like the other two she doesn’t deserve more power.

My point is that she isn’t much better than those 2, she is not a saint, and like the other two she doesn’t deserve more power.[/quote]

Raising the question, what power, exactly, will the Mayor of London have, anyway?

[li]

I would like to point out this is a game, and none of the canidates are really politicians. and since its the first election, the result probably won’t do a whole lot to the rest of the world, which has been here for a lot longer, and is pretty stable. I think the only effect we know of is a card.
edited by suinicide on 7/8/2016

Then we should ensure the mayor we elect is also a card! Thankfully, I think all three candidates qualify.