The Election

My point is that she isn’t much better than those 2, she is not a saint, and like the other two she doesn’t deserve more power.[/quote]
Moral ambiguity?
Here, in Fallen London?

[li]

There’s only one clear conscience in Fallen London, and he’s still trying to find his lost luggage.

[quote=suinicide]I would like to point out this is a game, and none of the canidates are really politicians. and since its the first election, the result probably won’t do a whole lot to the rest of the world, which has been here for a lot longer, and is pretty stable. I think the only effect we know of is a card.
edited by suinicide on 7/8/2016[/quote]

Im guessing that future stories may change a little based on who gets elected, other than that, I can’t think of many things Failbetter can really change.

Anyone want to open a thread for speculations ehh?
edited by The Master on 7/8/2016

[li]There appears to be new information coming out about all the candidates this week - I am updating my original post as I find out more.

It’s worth recalling that in Fallen London, murder is often not permanent. For all we know, the red-haired man might have shown up at one of the Bishop’s sermons after he’d been shot, to heckle him. So I don’t see a lot of point in reviling FL characters for being &quotmurderers&quot. Those of us who have fed NPC coalmen and vicars to potted plants are guilty of far worse than temporary deaths.
edited by cathyr19355 on 7/16/2016

It’s worth recalling that in Fallen London, murder is often not permanent. For all we know, the red-haired man might have shown up at one of the Bishop’s sermons after he’d been shot, to heckle him. So I don’t see a lot of point in reviling FL characters for being &quotmurders&quot. Those of us who have fed NPC coalmen and vicars to potted plants are guilty of far worse than temporary deaths.[/quote]

I would like to add that the Contrarian killed the person by accident, didn’t he? I may be wrong so please correct me if I am.

Scandal is even less so. Jenny did nothing wrong.

It’s worth recalling that in Fallen London, murder is often not permanent. For all we know, the red-haired man might have shown up at one of the Bishop’s sermons after he’d been shot, to heckle him. So I don’t see a lot of point in reviling FL characters for being &quotmurders&quot. Those of us who have fed NPC coalmen and vicars to potted plants are guilty of far worse than temporary deaths.[/quote]
Those who have finished the cheesemonger storyline and went with her plan, have committed probably far more permanent murders. Even more so if you join the black ribbon duelists.

Leaving aside the suitability of candidates (they all have merit to some degree and would change the city in interesting ways) and our own blood-soaked paths, I’m of the opinion that some of the Masters might actually be considering leaving London intact when the time comes for the Sixth City to fall. Why else install a mayor? Her Enduring Majesty and the royal family have become corrupted and withdrawn, but a mayor is different. A mayor changes as the city changes, rising or falling with the times, and while there are tyrants and monarchs in the Neath, there are no popularist leaders, not even in the Iron Republic.

It is 1894. The age of monarchy is almost over. In a couple of decades, all the crowns of Europe will fall. Could the Masters have enough foresight to see that coming? If they could prevent it, what might a grateful king or queen pay in return?

One more splash of speculation: Europe is a hotbed of politics at this point in history. In June, the French president was stabbed in broad daylight by an anarchist…after he announced he would NOT be running for re-election. The Masters cannot remove Her Enduring Majesty or her progeny without considerable effort but if a mayor is proving troublesome, there are plenty of knives in London…

Admittedly, I’m voting for Jenny, because it makes most sense from a character point of view, and I enjoy the little I’ve seen of her.

But I’m vaguely interested to see if there’d be new paths for the soulless if the bishop won, since my character lost her soul a while back. Of course, the Bishop probably won’t win, but if he did…

[quote=kittenby]Admittedly, I’m voting for Jenny, because it makes most sense from a character point of view, and I enjoy the little I’ve seen of her.

But I’m vaguely interested to see if there’d be new paths for the soulless if the bishop won, since my character lost her soul a while back. Of course, the Bishop probably won’t win, but if he did…[/quote]

I also threw my support with Sinning Jenny, although it was close.

Spoiler below for &quotTo Bag a Legend Ambition&quot and the &quotTheological Husbandry&quot stories.

[spoiler]I was an ally of the Sisterhood that supports her due to my hunt for the Vake, but I am also a good friend of the Bishop and had sworn to march with him to Hell (literally). My character has a huge amount of support from the Church which, although I did not think of him as particularly religious, I figured helped him with both groups.

Between the two religious figures, I wanted to believe that Sinning Jenny would be less like the High Sparrow from Game of Thrones than the Bishop of Southwark (besides the heavily armed fanatics). That, and having her positioned as Mayor might make the last part of my hunt a little bit easier for reasons I will not say on this forum. Still, I was surprised that two out of three of the the candidates were running on religious platforms. The only secular politician was the Contrarian and I know enough about him to not want him anywhere near power.

Also, I am not entirely sure my character never &quotvisited&quot Jenny at one point for something other than normal business so maybe I felt biased. ;) [/spoiler]

----
edited by Owen Wulf on 7/19/2016

I would like to add that the Contrarian killed the person by accident, didn’t he? I may be wrong so please correct me if I am.[/quote]
He did- several times, and it’s implied he’s killed others- all accidentally. but then, it might not be the case- it might just be that one over and over. The only confirmed one, though, probably belongs in the tomb-colonies or with a nurse perpetually accompanying him. here’s another incident the same night: The whiskered admiral…has turned an alarming shade of purple: &quotWas it the heat? The chanterelle soup? The ankles of the Turkish Girl beside him?&quot &quotYou move him quickly and discreetly to another room, where you loosen a collar that undoubtedly had been a better fit when he lived on ship’s biscuits and lime juice. […] In the days that follow he widely praises your quick thinking.&quot

In short, he really shouldn’t be attending parties anyways.

[quote=Grenem]
He did- several times, and it’s implied he’s killed others- all accidentally. but then, it might not be the case- it might just be that one over and over. The only confirmed one, though, probably belongs in the tomb-colonies or with a nurse perpetually accompanying him. here’s another incident the same night: The whiskered admiral…has turned an alarming shade of purple: &quotWas it the heat? The chanterelle soup? The ankles of the Turkish Girl beside him?&quot &quotYou move him quickly and discreetly to another room, where you loosen a collar that undoubtedly had been a better fit when he lived on ship’s biscuits and lime juice. […] In the days that follow he widely praises your quick thinking.&quot

In short, he really shouldn’t be attending parties anyways.[/quote]

Wrong example, according to wiki. The Contrarian argued with the Admiral, who expired in a fit and fall into a tureen of soup, ending the party early. The collar suffocation is just Admiral’s personal card and has nothing to do with the Contrarian.

I believe what they mean is that, seeing as the Admiral nearly dies twice in the same night, he’s really exceptionally frail and no-one can really be blamed for happening to trigger any one particular death.

Frail and exceptionally choleric. Not a great combination, really.