The Affair of the Box!

Huh. If you can do that after the storyline is over, wouldn’t that make it the second-best option for Echoes, right after spirifiring?[/quote]

It’s more “About equal” with spirifering. Although, there are a couple options more profitable, but they are luck-based (Getting the right-hand map piece and selling it, or getting coruscating souls from the fidgeting writer).

Huh. If you can do that after the storyline is over, wouldn’t that make it the second-best option for Echoes, right after spirifiring?[/quote]

It’s more “About equal” with spirifering. Although, there are a couple options more profitable, but they are luck-based (Getting the right-hand map piece and selling it, or getting coruscating souls from the fidgeting writer).[/quote]

Yeah, the difference is tuppence, so if it doesn’t lock after the storyline, it’d be the best non-Fate-locked option.

Also, I’ve decided that Lady Luck hates me, so I tend to stay away from those options.

I’ve been mainlining my entire stash of Darkdrop Coffee to get through this story (Impatient? Never!) and … without spoilers, I believe I need to increase my renown as a newspaper editor. Can anyone advise on how to do this?

Grind for Whirling Contraptions at either Wilmont’s End or in the War of Assassins. New titles for each Prophet, Cardinal and Defender are at 1, 3, 5 and 10.

Thanks! Didn’t know about the new titles.

Edited to add a question: It’s only the 104-Copy options that increase the stats, yes?
edited by Asclepius Unbound on 7/28/2012

This is so.

Loved the ending on this story. Even if the choice between the Clay Men and the Princess didn’t amount to much, hopefully the choice at the end of this story will have some far reaching effects into the future.

Even if ‘the affair of the box’ is truly over (and I don’t know if it is as I am currently out to Zee) I’m sure there will be ramification for many content releases to come and one way or another all our sins will come home to roost.

And people wonder why I’m always smiling.

Can you tell us if it locks out the carousel once you finish it? I want to progress in it, but I also need mourning candles for my fidgeting writer addiction, so I want to know if I should accumulate a stash first, and then continue the story…

Once you finish you can keep increasing your Intrigue of Box quality and cash it out at the end. Also, to avoid spoilers, you will reach a section where you choose between 3 paths. If anyone hits that point please feel free to contact me so we can log all the different endings. I will not spoil any more than that.

I just got to the point where you’re told that [color=#ffffff]the seven locks are a red herring, I quote, “Recalling matters best not thought of.” [/color]But, [color=#ffffff]the only other seven things I can think of are the correspondence stones[/color]. Any idea what else its referring to? If anything at all? Or is that all explained - and if it is, only a meaningful wink is necessary. No details, please.

Seven is the number.

It’s explained later in the story.

Considering getting 100cp of Connected: Revolutionaries is 37 actions, that seems fair.[/quote]

When I reached this part of the story and learned the implications of being a Turncoat, I just bought myself a Red-Feathered Pin. I use my Connected–Revolutionaries to erase Turncoat quality as needed (it was 26 before I started this storyline) and then restore my connected to 20 or so with the Pin. Not difficult, though the 40 Echoes for the Pin (only 35 of which you get back if you re-sell the Pin later) is a bit annoying.

Grind for Whirling Contraptions at either Wilmont’s End or in the War of Assassins. New titles for each Prophet, Cardinal and Defender are at 1, 3, 5 and 10.[/quote]

So I just took a spin through Doubt Street, and I never saw an option for publishing anything related to The Box. What am I missing?

Grind for Whirling Contraptions at either Wilmont’s End or in the War of Assassins. New titles for each Prophet, Cardinal and Defender are at 1, 3, 5 and 10.[/quote]

So I just took a spin through Doubt Street, and I never saw an option for publishing anything related to The Box. What am I missing?[/quote]

Near the end, you have 3 choices. One of them will let you publish the story in the paper.

Ah. Of course. How could I forget.

So I have some questions about the story:

[color=#ffffff]What was the significance of the box? If the players of the Game didn’t know what was in the thing, why were they all trying to get at it?[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]I’m assuming the Game being played between the Masters and others is none other than the Great Game?[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]Who are Hell’s Exiles, and why do they need moon-milk? Furthermore, why are they supplying the Bazaar with troops? Do the Masters fear a war, perhaps with Hell?[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]Why did Stones let the box float around so easily, if he didn’t want it opened? Did he really think no one would ever succeed in opening it?[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]Jasper and Frank were working for Stones, giving you the false lead about the Princesses to distract you, correct?[/color]

[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]-As it is a master game, I’d assume there’s love involved somewhere. But from what we know it looks more like Stone’s pure whim.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]-I would be enclined to think otherwise. The great game involves the powers of the surface a great deal, even down here in London. I think it’s a parallel political game played between the masters, and I think the masters try to look like a united faction to other game players. But the whole thing is so absurdly shrouded in codes, ciphers, secrets and mysteries I don’t believe we can really know for certain, yet.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]-A war against Hell could happen, seeing as certain devils in the Iron Republic openly state that ‘The Bazaar won’t be around here forever. We might as well make our little experiment while we may.’ An alternative would be a war against the fifth city, much like what seemed to happened to the fourth, from which we can still hear various echoes, no pun intended, from the Widow or in the Royal Bethlehem. The relation between these ‘exiles’ and moon-milk, or even the nature of these exiles, I know not. Though maybe this has something to do with other outstanding devils, like the Sisters’ maid in Hunters Keep, or the Blind Pianist from the ‘cobblestone rogues and back alley saints’ storyline.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]-I believe Masters do tend to feel superior to everyone else and are confident in their abilities to keep certain things secret/out of reach, which explains their extreme displeasure and frustration when people find out about things like The Orphanage, their attraction to love or… excuse me, someone is knocking at the door rather heavily and insistently.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]-Most probably. Maybe the Kashimiri twins are also complicit, who knows. It tells us not to underestimate the clay twins, at the very least. There’s much more to them than the cold-blooded grunts they appear to be at first glance.[/color]

By the way, I’d appreciate greatly if you could send me the two other endings. I sided with Mr Fires.
[/color]
edited by Alexander von Brennenburg on 7/30/2012

I’ve gone and put up the Newspaper ending on the wiki, for those who’d like to see.