The Affair of the Box!

Well, then, it’s open now! You can start it in Spite if you’ve finished the Kashmiri Princess part of the story.

So far, it’s dealt with either siding with the Masters or the Revolutionaries on issues. It’s given me a few “key to your future” qualities, like Empire’s Kingmaker and A Power In Waiting. It appears to work on the carousel method, where you do actions to increase a quality until you have enough to do the main storylet.

I’m happy _ Given the recent developments, I’m probably going to side with the Revolutionaries on this one… With discretion, of course ^^

FYI: in addition to new material in Spite - - Contact Conflict cards have new options re: Affair of the Box!

Oh, gods. If you pick an option that changes your siding to the other faction, you get a quality called A Turncoat. Get 4 of this quality, and all the normal options lock. You get a new storylet which has a Shadowy check which most likely won’t raise Affair of the Box, even on a success, an option to trade in some of your Connected: Masters to raise it, a 5 Fate option that removes the Turncoat quality, or a Connected: Revolutionaries option to raise it.

The Shadowy option is too slow, I’m definitely not trading the Connected: Masters, and I don’t like Revolutionaries…guess I should get some Fate.
edited by Twoflower on 7/27/2012

[quote=Twoflower]Oh, gods. If you pick an option that changes your sidings to the other faction, you get a quality called A Turncoat. Get 4 of this quality, and all the normal options lock. You get a new storylet which has a Shadowy check which most likely won’t raise Affair of the Box, even on a success, an option to trade in some of your Connected: Masters to raise it, a 5 Fate option that removes the Turncoat quality, or a Connected: Revolutionaries option to raise it.

The Shadowy option is too slow, I’m definitely not trading the Connected: Masters, and I don’t like Revolutionaries…guess I should get some Fate.[/quote]

That’s good to know, though for once I was quite sure about what to do ^^ Thanks!

To be honest, I’m not sure if it lowers the Connected: Masters, or just checks it, but I treasure their connection too much to find out.

I just paid the Revolutionaries’ Dues, lost (probably) 100 change points of Connected Revolutionaries, lost all of my Turncoat quality. Nothing else changed, meaning I betray all I want and just lose a little connected. I don’t know about the Master’s option, but I would imagine you lose a little connected along with your Turncoat quality.

Considering getting 100cp of Connected: Revolutionaries is 37 actions, that seems fair.

Given that both qualities take either Fate or a long, long time to build, I’d just as soon cut out the middle-man…

Considering getting 100cp of Connected: Revolutionaries is 37 actions, that seems fair.[/quote]

It unlocks at Connected 20, so couldn’t you just use the Red-Feathered Pin?

Well, my Connected: Revolutionaries is in the mid 140’s, so I can’t. One could, I suppose.

Well, my Connected: Revolutionaries is in the mid 140’s, so I can’t. One could, I suppose.[/quote]

I mean, not you in particular, but anyone who wants to unlock the Revolutionary option.

One of the money options at the end of the loop gave 35 Compromising Documents; at 14 actions that’s 1.25/action, which is competitive with most of the other options in London (and can grant Compromising Documents, Strangling Willow, Stolen Kisses, or perhaps Mourning Candles). Since one of other options in the money storylet lets you pay Fate to replay the Tale of the Box, I’d assume that stays open when the story’s over.

I just tried it - it drops the connection by 1 CP, so not terrible, but still a valuable connection to lose. (And it cures Turncoat entirely).

It seemed to imply most options would cost Kingmaker. How much did you lose?

I took the first option (Strangling Willow Absinthe) and lost none.

Hah, so I just found something pretty great in an old thread (spoilers for what’s in the box, and Light Fingers spoilers too).

[color=#ffffff]http://community.failbettergames.com/topic624-light-fingers-a-child-is-born.aspx [/color]

[color=#ffffff]"4. I have a thoroughly locked iron box that has been sitting at the back of my character’s parlor. I have gotten glim out through a slot on the side, once. Does it contain one of these things?"[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]

Well, I just took the option that requires 40 Kingmaker, and got 8 mourning candles. Roughly ~142 PPA.

Huh. If you can do that after the storyline is over, wouldn’t that make it the second-best option for Echoes, right after spirifiring?

Are we to take it that the Kashmiri Princesses were just a red herring, and that our decision between them and Jasper & Frank of no importance? A shame.