Table 5 at a Hallowmas Party of 1894

Dockers, rat-catchers and monster-hunters are not creatures of precision. They are not Licentates. Their ships are at the mercy of Storm and Salt. Their quarries are squirming monsters that breeds like… rats. Always too many unexpected troubles. They cannot be relied on for punctual attendance.

At least the one they call Morkan Kassington anyway. The burly hunter strides to his seat (he did consider breaking into a run), bloodstains on his grey suit (the laundry room in the Department of Menace Eradication was under maintenance), Ratting Piece still on person (safety double checked).

When he takes his seat, a mushroom flies by his ear. He turns around to see a young lady stepping away from his seat to the back of the room where she sits alone, at a table clearly not set for party. He scribbles something on a note, folds it into a ball, then send it flying to that table with a slingshot.

He turns back to his refined table mates. He doesn’t know any of them, except Sapho. Saphho? That lady behind the Lyre, no matter how many h is in her name.

He might have to attend church when the party is over.
edited by Morkan Kassington on 11/1/2016

A teary eyed woman comes to your table and whispers to you.

“I’m not one to gossip, but circumstances urge me to warn you - do you see that miserable rogue at table four? -”

She tells you such terrible things about the man - his acts in the Shuttered palace, his notoriety in the tomb colonies, how he stole her and her guests’ wine. Such terrible things

A glossy painted crab-shell is making languid dips atop the neck of a very drunk person. Its little legs, with their embedded little rubies, make unsettling little clicks as Lethifer nods slowly but vigorously in conspiratorial outrage.

&quot-- it cannot!-… the thrice-damned fiend!-… madam. The barbarism you are today enduring. Yes!-…&quot he is nodding along as their distraught visitor speaks of someone. He has not turned to look at the subject of the discussion, and doesn’t appear entirely sure that they are speaking of anyone in particular. Words simply tumble from the crab. &quotTerrible influence. And where are the constables!&quot He makes to slam a jewelled hand upon the table at this, but misjudges its trajectory, sending a fork somersaulting over his shoulder to an unknown fate.

&quotThe city is gone to villainy! Why, only Sunday I have heard–…&quot

He rambles on for a bit, diverging into wild rumors, some very clearly invented, few making more than passing sense. His strange dialect makes the tales no easier to follow. It has the effect of quieting the distraught woman, however, and he generously shares from his bottle of spirits besides. He grins at the large hunter as he arrives, wide-teethed smile peeking out from the mask’s chitinous edge.

A woman approaches Table 5.

Her mask is a porcelain half-mask, covering her forehead, eyes, nose, and cheeks. A woman’s face. Sleeping or dead. The closed eyes have thick feminine eye-lashes painted along the pale cheeks. The eye holes must be disguised among those lashes.

Her golden hair is down, as if she were about to sleep, or already sleeping. It falls to her hips. She has never worn it down in public before.

Two red circles against her neck are attached to her thin leather choker, and suspended above it. Each drapes a bright red ribbon that trails down to her waist - bright crimson against her white dress. Vampire bites.

The choker has a pendant. A rose gold apple, with an inscription on it.

Her dress is custom-made. It is a white dress in the shape and pattern of a cotton nightgown, but constructed from a thicker material appropriate for an external garment, over a white chemise.

She turns to the woman present. [@pillbox] “Pardon me, are you Miss Evangeline? I was hoping to find her here. This is Table 5, yes? I thought she - you? - might be able to help with introductions?”

“I am Appolonia Von Ravenscroft.”

She turns to the two gentlemen. “I’m afraid I’ve not had the pleasure.”

She looks for two empty chairs together. “You do not mind if I hold a place for Lady Sapho?”

Lady Byron appears, summoned, perhaps, by the mention of her name. She is clad in a close-fitting black grow with sleeves hanging pendant … perhaps there is something Polythreme to the gown, it–and thus she–seems to flow, more than walk. A piece of detached night. She wears no mask, but is pallid, white … even her freckles are gone. Her lips, however, are the color of coral and her canines, flashing when she smiles at the guests, are preternaturally sharp.

&quotThank you for saving this, my dear,&quot she says, taking a seat beside Appolonia Von Ravenscroft.
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 11/2/2016

Appolonia smiles happily when Sapho appears.

&quotI’m afraid I haven’t caught anyone’s name yet. I’ve only just arrived. But now I am absolutely sure I am at the right table!&quot

When Lethifer has taken a breath, Lady Byron interject, &quotMr Lethifer, I do believe we have met before … if … ah … memory serves. I acquired a painting of yours at the time.&quot[li]

“Mr Kassington, a pleasure to see you again.” Sapho nods and smiles in the direction of the well-armed note-artillerist.

[quote=Appolonia]Appolonia smiles happily when Sapho appears.

&quotI’m afraid I haven’t caught anyone’s name yet. I’ve only just arrived. But now I am absolutely sure I am at the right table!&quot[/quote]

&quotOur blood-stained companion … hmm … blood is table’s theme, perhaps … is Mr Morkan Kassington. Our crab-bedecked compatriot is Lethifer. And I’m afraid those are all the names I know … other than yours and mine, of course.&quot
[li]

&quotA pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lethifer. So you are a painter? How splendid! What kind of painting do you do?&quot

&quotAnd a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kassington. What occupies your time here in the Neath?&quot

She turns and smiles at each of them, as she says their names.

&quotI am probably best known in town as a composer of opera.&quot

Lethifer is tilting his chair perilously backwards, watching their visiting rumormonger alight to the next table over and do her work. &quot… elegant form,&quot he comments, tipping the mask back a bit to take a drink. At the sound of his name-- what sort of name is that, anyway?-- he swivels like a gyroscope, wobbling slightly, to attend his tablemates. &quotMost welcoming! Join, join. I have bullied the caterers,&quot he says grandly, indicating the truly fine array of nibbles piled high onto table 5.

He leans forward after seats are filled. The crab mask has no visible slits for eyes, so it is difficult to tell where his gaze lies, but he addresses Sapho in tones of earnest delight. &quotDear lady! To meeting you again is the joyous of nights. How to your work? What of mine? Great happiness it brings you, say it is true. Pleasure, a true pleasure.&quot

It is quite clear he has no idea where or how they have met before, but the gilded stream of pleasantries is artful.

To Appolonia he meanders through similar glowing praise, ending with &quot… ah, but I have knowing of your work! In the quiet evening, the orchestral of D------- haunts still through my heart. Do not heed the nattering of that lumpy critic in the rag. They know nothing of music. You do.&quot This compliment, more than anything, seems heartfelt.
edited by lethifer on 11/2/2016

Appolonia serves herself a bit of the delicious looking nibbles.

&quotMmmmm I’m glad my mask doesn’t cover my mouth. This looks hard to resist.&quot

Her mask also leaves enough of the lower half of her face visible that Lethifer can see that she blushes at his sincere compliment - quite ruining the intended pallor of her costume.

&quotOh! Thank you.&quot

&quotI should very much like to see some of your paintings. Do you have a gallery? Do you mostly do portraits? Landscapes?&quot

&quotAnd what are you drinking? Perhaps I should have a glass?&quot

A brown-haired figure makes her way to the table to which she was assigned, gracefully evading the more active attendants to the party. Her mask is that of a raven, white feather design stretching out from an ebony beak, eyes concealed by darkened curved lenses. Weaved delicately into her braided hair is a scandalously scarlet ribbon, complemented by the red accents of her predominately black and white dress. Over said dress is a short white cloak, thick enough to ward off the mid-Autumn chill.

She perches her hands on the back of her chair, giving her fellow table-mates the friendliest expression one might manage with only a mouth scarcely visible. Her tone is light and pleasant, possessing the confidence of someone accustomed to social gatherings. &quotGood evening. Apologies for my tardiness - I had some matters to attend to.&quot The nibbles tray captures her interest, the woman studying its contents as she takes her seat.

[quote=lethifer] He leans forward after seats are filled. The crab mask has no visible slits for eyes, so it is difficult to tell where his gaze lies, but he addresses Sapho in tones of earnest delight. &quotDear lady! To meeting you again is the joyous of nights. How to your work? What of mine? Great happiness it brings you, say it is true. Pleasure, a true pleasure.&quot

It is quite clear he has no idea where or how they have met before, but the gilded stream of pleasantries is artful.[/quote]

&quotWhen we met, you said your painting was horrid and you asked me to dispose of it … which I did.&quot Sapho explains, as a small, amused smile plays over her lips, revealing her pointy canines.

“Happy Hallowmas, Ms Hysaro! And no apologies are necessary: you are not tardy, merely fashionably late!”

Appolonia turns to the women who has just arrived.

&quotA pleasure to see you again, Sara!&quot

&quotHave you met Mr. Lethifer here?&quot She gestures to the men dressed in crab shell. &quotHe is also an artist. A painter.&quot

&quotI so enjoyed seeing your sketches the other night. Swans.&quot She smiles. &quotDid you ever finish that piece?&quot

&quotI have been meaning to ask you how the charitable work in Flowerdene is going. Have you identified further needs? I had a notion to help with some of the on-going medical needs for the community, but I am not sure with whom to coordinate. Is it too dry a topic for a party?&quot

From the throng of guests, a sharp-dressed rubbery man lopes towards the table. No, not a rubbery man, at second glance. There are finer details to notice; the sleeves that end in black leather gloves rather than tentacles, the curves which suggest a feminine form beneath the layers of fabric, the absence of boneless writhing. A lilting voice calls out, &quotAh, so I haven’t missed introductions!&quot

&quotApologies for my late arrival, sweetlings. I am the huntress Evangeline.&quot She doffs her hat luxuriously, revealing seams in her rubbery mask. &quotIt’s a pleasure to finally meet you all in the flesh.&quot

As she speaks, she surveys her companions. Next to the pure midnight of Sapho’s gown, the subtle peligin tint of her suit becomes apparent. Matching peligin eyes flit about from within her mask, from face to mask to ribbons to coral lips to face. The tentacles disguise her own lips, but an enthusiastic smile rings clear in her voice.

&quotAnd what a pleasure it is, with company like this! Such beauty, such elegance, such vitality… This will be a night to remember, no?&quot

“And very happy Hallowmas to you too, Lady Sapho! I hope yours has been going well?” Sara addresses Sapho cheerily. Her expression continues as she turns to speak to Appolonia, offering a friendly wave to Mr Lethifer, “I don’t believe we’ve met - a pleasure to meet you, Mr Lethifer. It is lovely to see you again as well, Appolonia.” She raises a finger to punctuate her next statement. “I did finish that painting, and I’m fairly happy with it! I got a friend of mine to give a few pointers on the sky - that’s always been my weakest area. I’ll have to show it to you sometime.”

She grabs a treat from the nibbles tray as she searches her mind for the necessary information regarding Flowerdene. After a moment’s pondering she acquires a pen and small notepad from a pocket, writing down some contact details before tearing it out and offering it to Appolonia. “I spoke to Siobhan about charity efforts a while back, and she mentioned the Itinerant Physician in Flowerdene for medical relief. My long-term efforts are directed to helping improve literacy in the area, so help on the medical front would absolutely be appreciated.”

The arrival of the huntress solicits yet another friendly wave of greeting. “Good evening, and happy hallowmas! It is good to meet you in person - I’m Sara Hysaro.”

[quote=Nell Evangeline]
&quotAnd what a pleasure it is, with company like this! Such beauty, such elegance, such vitality… This will be a night to remember, no?&quot[/quote]

&quotUndoubtedly, huntress!&quot Sapho answers with enthusiasm … although an amused grin dances on her lips as she glances at Lethifer.

[li]

Appolonia gasps at Huntress Evangeline’s clever costume, when she walks up to the table.

&quotIt is so nice to meet you. I’m Appolonia Von Ravenscroft. What a marvelous costume! All those tentacles! Memorable indeed.&quot

She turns back to Sara at her answer. &quotOh, I would like to see the finished picture.&quot

She takes the contact information with a grateful smile. &quotExcellent. I’ll follow-up and see how I can be most helpful.&quot