Table 5 at a Hallowmas Party of 1894

Engaged in a discussion of opera with Appolonia, Lethifer’s gestures are wide and not a little clumsy. Gems on his fingers glitter as he gesticulates. Two not-quite-gaudy, but certainly ostentatious, diamonds swing on chained earrings. He looks to be in his element, and quite merry. &quotA bit of this,&quot he says of his paintings with an airy wave, &quota bit of that. Here, also, and there. Always a project, more to be done.&quot

The easy smile stays precisely where it is as he graciously passes around hard-to-reach delectables. To Sapho, he nods as if this were the expected answer. &quotAll the better! A horrid thing to horrid ends will go. This is justice! I will paint you another, if you wish. More to your tastes?&quot

He greets the final arrivals with the same enthusiasm, taking it upon himself to fill glasses from what seems to be an endless supply of very acceptable wine. He gushes over the craftsmanship of the rubbery mask. He comments on the importance of fashion in the monster-hunting profession. Monsters, he believes, need much coaching in this area.

&quotAll together at lasts!&quot As if he has been very dear friends with everyone for years. He leans in, causing the creepy little crab-legs to click. &quotNow, who is having a confession to share?&quot

Appolonia thanks Lethifer when he fills her glass with wine.

She takes a fortifying sip.

Nell receives both praise and wine with delight; she’s beaming as she removes her mask for a sip, face bright in spite of her monster-hunter pallor. &quotYou flatter me, citizens! Preparing this beast’s flesh was certainly worth the effort if it delights ladies as lovely as the present company.&quot She flashes a flirtatious smile, such that any one of the mentioned ladies might receive it: her teeth are serrated, like a shark’s.

Turning to Lethifer, she offers him the mask for a closer look at the craftsmanship. &quotYou’ve a keen eye, and keener insight. How refreshing it is to meet someone like you, uninitiated and yet so quick to grasp the essence of the hunt! You see the same expression of the self in harpoon-work that’s found in assembling the perfect outfit, and in each careful stitch in a handmade mask.&quot

When the table conversation turns to confessions, Nell speaks up &quotIf I might start the proceedings with something small, I’ve a confession relevant to this very table. You see, what called me here tonight was nothing so wholesome as good company. You were quite astute to name blood as the table’s theme, Lady Byron, for I came here hoping it would spill.&quot The sanguine confession comes out in the same lilt as her dinner conversation. She rubs her thumb idly on the stygian ivory pommel of her cane.

&quotI’ve no intention of striking the first blow, worry not. But you’ve surely heard the rumors about our host’s close history with Knife and Candle, and noticed that plenty of the guests star in those bloody tales told in near every Wolfstack pub. Why, we’ve Wolfstack’s own Morkan Kassington right here, and armed no less! Imagine if a brawl broke out now, in such a notable place, with such notable and dangerous combatants. Wouldn’t it be glorious? Wouldn’t it be famous? Wouldn’t it be the perfect start to a new season of murder?&quot

&quotIt’s an unlikely fantasy, I know. But a girl can dream. And just in case, I’ve brought this.&quot She takes firm grip of the her cane and draws out the harpoon hidden within, just far enough to show off a glimpse of its long, hooked, wickedly sharp blade. She soon sheathes it once more, no small pride in her voice as she continues, &quotAs a monster hunter, it is my duty to winnow the lesser terrors from the true. There are no true terrors in most pub brawls, but I happen to know that at least a few dine among us tonight. Revel in the thought with me, just for a moment. It would be transcendent.&quot

She drains her glass as the confession hangs in the air.

Morkan gives a hearty chuckle at Nell’s sanguine confession. &quotHaw! Easy there, missus. It’s true, everyone here are a bit tasty with a shiv, but not all of them like that. It’s not so beautiful if you harpoons someone for throwing a bread roll at you, innit? While we are yelping about blood… how do you stay so clean, missus? Last time I bombed a zee-monster and I was turned purple for a week. Not even the Parlour of Virtue could do anything about it.&quot

The topic of literacy attracted his attention. &quotWe haven’t met have we, missus Hysaro? I am Morkan. You looking to teach people to write? I have a few candidates. If you take L.Bs. Prisoners-of-wars that lost their legs.&quot
edited by Morkan Kassington on 11/2/2016

Sara accepts the wine with a gracious thanks, glad to have a beverage that is not coffee in this establishment. She listens to the huntress’ offered confession with interest, being mindful of her mask as she draws the cup to her lips. She sets the cup down before she speaks. &quotAh, Knife and Candle. I enjoyed it when I was new. Not dueling itself, mind - just keeping up with the rankings and the rumors. Though I did get an invite into it from one player who noticed my interest. I never truly participated despite accepting, but I happened upon a bit of information that led me to acquiring a very interesting treasure.&quot

Sara smiles in an amused manner, though she elaborates no further. She still has the treasure, hidden carefully away as if it were still the rare prize it once was. Perhaps one day it shall be useful. She returns her attention to Evangeline, &quotIt would be quite the interesting unlikely event…though I’d certainly not be jumping into the fray, personally.&quot

She turns her attention to Morkan’s suggestion of teaching L.B.s how to write. &quotA pleasure to make your acquaintance, Morkan. And I shall keep that in mind - literacy is something that benefits everyone, no matter their status or circumstances.&quot

edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/2/2016

Morkan smacked his forehead when he hears Sara’s reply. He should have been more clear. &quotSorry missus. I am offering teachers, not students. L.B.s maimed in battle, too weak to be a threat. They are lieutenants that can write well enough, and they take much less than human.&quot

Appolonia listens with interest to Ms Evangeline’s confession, and Mr. Kassington’s thoughtful reply.

&quotI confess that I enjoyed knife-and-candle in its day, and miss it, but probably a quite different experience of it. I was studying candle related rituals throughout the Neath. All the different ways candles are put into the body - gustatory, through wounds, the entirely different bell-and-candle routes. I found out about the moon league. The chance for a chase across town. Cryptic clues. In the end, getting caught. It was more about choreography and conversation through notes hidden about town than any sort of violence. At least for me.&quot

&quotI suppose&quot - she glances down at her costume - &quotI have not hidden well that in such games I enjoy being prey more than predator.&quot

&quotBut, howsoever thrilling, it is not something I would want to see happen during a dinner party. Well said, Mr. Kassington.&quot Her masked face turns toward him. A smile.

&quotI know how hard these affairs are to organize. And opportunities to meet new people and to have conversation like this - they are rare and precious. I would not want that disrupted.&quot

&quotI should not be sorry to see such a thing occur in the future though, from the connections made at such an event. Though I suspect Huntress Evangeline&quot – turning back to her – &quotthat you would prefer a quarry closer to your skill level. You seem positively fierce!&quot

&quotI do like your idea that we enjoy contemplating how many of the Neath’s wildest and most dangerous are under a single roof and enjoy the thrill of what could go wrong. A bit of imagination. Like reading a gothic novel. A shiver of fear. But the certainty of safety nonetheless.&quot

&quotOur hostess’ reputation and courtesy to her must prevent it from devolving away from a charming opportunity for conversation. While we are her guests.&quot

“Ah, sorry - I completely misunderstood,” Sara apologies, a little embarrassed. Nonetheless, her stance remains the same. “Yes, anyone willing and able to teach will be considered. I’m hoping to fund a library in the area, and we’ll be hosting the lessons through there.”

“One of the delights of such a gathering as this is that we meet people and other entities with interests divergent from our own. I would have never thought of an enormous murder party, for example,” Sapho enthuses. “Although, if a group activity were to occur tonight I should prefer it to be one that, whilst vigorous and frisson inducing, leaves everyone alive at the end … or with a little death or two at the most.”

Turning to Sara, Lady Byron continues, “Yours is a splendid undertaking, Ms Hysaro. I have an extensive library and I would be willing to donate parts of it your cause, should you find such a thing of use.”

Through lulls in conversation, Lethifer has taken to folding his napkin into elaborate shapes. He does this one-handed, the other occupied, always, by wine. He is still grinning mildly to himself ever since Sapho’s death remark.

&quotBut with cautious,&quot he says to the subject of the library. &quotSuch a public establishing is not to be found in current in our city. Why this?&quot The napkin has become a folded sparrow, and its fabric wings lazily flutter. Lethifer shrugs. &quotMany reason, but cheifing I am suspect that Mr Pages will rob you quite completely if given half a moment. Through tariff, through censoring, or through checking out the interesting things and…&quot he flaps a hand to indicate the understatement, &quotmisplacing them. Private libraries are safer for somewhat.&quot

&quotOur Mayor Jenny considers literacy programs in the poorer areas of the city to be a high priority. Perhaps she could assist in the politics of such a thing, where they become interfering.&quot

&quotIt is an interesting question what books are most useful in teaching literacy. Children’s books? Would adult learners prefer something different? Is it best to find books that are written simply, but delightful in content to spur the turning of the pages? Like … fairy tales? Or something a bit more dull but relevant to the person’s daily routine. Like … a newspaper.&quot

&quotMythology,&quot the painter replies at once. &quotNothing teaches so much so simply. Not fairy things, but gods and devils once of worship.&quot His folded sparrow collapses upon itself, and he distractedly begins to twist a new shape. &quotAnu, Anlil, Enki and the rest, for begin. Like carriage-crashes, all. Their follies cannot to look away from. The wise one will learn much of all people through the mad fools we have prayed upon.&quot

He clicks a spoon against the bottom of his mask. &quotPrayed TO. Please forgive.&quot
edited by lethifer on 11/2/2016

The wine and lively conversation have brought color to Nell’s cheeks by now (though which color is curiously hard to pin down: certainly not red, at least). The implications of certain responses are not lost on her; she shoots Appolonia a befanged smile as she mentions her preferred role in the hunt, and Sapho’s audacious double entendre makes Nell’s blush even deeper. But it’s Sara’s comparatively chaste plans to promote literacy that draw her back to the larger conversation.

[quote=lethifer]&quotMythology,&quot the painter replies at once. &quotNothing teaches so much so simply. Not fairy things, but gods and devils once of worship.&quot He taps a spoon to the edge of the mask, considering. &quotAnu, Anlil, Enki and the rest, for begin. Like carriage-crashes, all. Their follies cannot to look away from. The wise one will learn much of all people through the mad fools we have prayed upon.&quot

He clicks a spoon against the bottom of his mask. &quotPrayed TO. Please forgive.&quot
edited by lethifer on 11/2/2016[/quote]

&quotGood painter, in my view you have the right idea and the wrong gods.&quot She pours something inky from a hip flask into her coffee and takes a relaxed sip. &quotThe editors at St. Cyriac’s have the way of it; the Neath must have her own stories if we are to strive for literacy, and only archaeologists and nostalgic tomb-colonists care for the surface divinities. After all, of what use is Apollo to an urchin who’s never seen the sun?&quot

&quotBut I imagine that same urchin would devour books on that old fury she’s been running the rooftops for since she could clear the gaps.&quot

You hear the sound of a gong, seemingly emanating from everywhere (you suspect a clever cook with a very large soup pot). A space on the floor has been cleared, and a nervous looking string quartet begins to play.

(The dance floor is now open in a separate thread to anyone who wishes to dance)
edited by pillbox on 11/2/2016

Appolonia returns Miss Evangeline’s smile, blushing a little herself at Sapho’s splendid remarks.

She leans forward with obvious interest when Lethifer suggests mythology.

&quotOh yes! You are exactly right.&quot

&quotAnd there is very little Surface mythology that is not relevant here. Storm seems to have, in it, aspects of many Surface gods of storm. Thor. Perun. Indra, Xolotl, Lei Gong, Set, Adad, and Chaac.&quot

&quotBut you are right, Huntress. It seems like a book of specifically Neathean mythology would be so useful. Storm, Salt, and Stone. Stories of those they have touched. How our Garden is both Hesperides and Eden, and all its own myths. How the things that fly carry the air of the Garden. And Parabola. What it means to walk beyond the mirrors.&quot

&quotOh, what an undertaking that would be to compile! But it would be tremendously interesting. And the artists among us like Sara and Mr. Lethifer could perhaps help with illustrations.&quot

She turns, startled, at the sound of the chime for dancing.

Lady Byron nods in solemn approval of this observation. &quotThere is naught that holds more truth than myths.&quot

And then chuckles, &quotBoth ways are probably correct.&quot[li]
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 11/3/2016

Observant guest will note that blushes–or rather, causing and observing them–bring great delight to Lady Byron.

&quotThank you very much for the generous offer! Books are certainly welcome donations to the fundraiser.&quot Sara replies cheerily to Lady Sapho. She leaves the matter of the Ministry of Public Decency alone, being well-acquainted with their rules and the individual Evaluators’ blind spots over her years of work with Mr Pages.

&quotTempting the otherwise apathetic with secrets relevant to their interests does seem the best path for teaching. It helps to have a reason to learn, beyond simple practical applications.&quot She delights in the prospect of producing a tome of Neathean mythology, even if such a work would almost certainly be proscribed upon its completion. Still, all the information she might discover during its production would be well worth the effort. &quotI would be more than happy to assist in such an undertaking in any way I can.&quot

edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/3/2016

&quotThinking about mythology, and with such a keen group of artists and art collectors, brings to mind the most famous paintings of the gods and legends of the Surface. All the wonderful versions of Venus or Aphrodite, for example. Reclining at a mirror. Or on a clam-shell.&quot

&quotI don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture with Storm, Stone, or Salt personified, or even depicted in an abstract form. But that sort of art must exist. Or should. They ought to have a whole symbology making them easily identifiable. Or perhaps it could be commissioned. For our tome of Neathean mythology, if for no other purpose.&quot