Strange beasts

I recently came across this rather odd looking specimen: The offspring of a Lion and a dust mop[li]

Apparently this is actually a breed of dog known as a Komondor.

Still, it looks more like something one might see in the Labyrinth of Tigers .

Perhaps it would be amusing to share photographs of other improbable animals.

Say hello to the Superb Bird of Paradise! He looks kinda funny when he’s trying to attract a mate. :)

edited by Sara Hysaro on 9/17/2013

It looks like the opening of some huge mouth![li]

This scaly fellow is the Pangolin:

When threatened he curls into a protective ball

Pangolin - very cute. Looks like a baffled pinecone. I want one. Either.

Ah, the Komondor… Hungarian dog. It and the Puli are basically dogs with dreads.

[li]
I rather agree. they are unaccountably cute for some reason.

Another one for the collection:

This odd bird is called a Pooto. It looks a bit confused
[li]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potoo

Here is the orchid mantis. These guys can change their color between pink and brown, and the pink ones are very pretty. Not very strange, but still neat. If you manage to find one it’s best to refrain from picking them up. Praying mantises are really docile, but orchid mantises will probably bite you.

Equally pretty are nudibranchs. I’d post a picture, but I wouldn’t know which one to choose! Just look them up and behold all the pretty little gastropod mollusks you can find in oceans all across the globe.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 9/20/2013

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Here is the orchid mantis. These guys can change their color between pink and brown, and the pink ones are very pretty. Not very strange, but still neat. If you manage to find one it’s best to refrain from picking them up. Praying mantises are really docile, but orchid mantises will probably bite you.

Equally pretty are nudibranchs. I’d post a picture, but I wouldn’t know which one to choose! Just look them up and behold all the pretty little gastropod mollusks you can find in oceans all across the globe.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 9/20/2013[/quote]

Delightful! You’ve found us an irrigo mantis!

A neathy raven (a picture of an albino I ran across on reddit):

[li]
edited by The Dave on 9/27/2013

I’ve always found the absence of pigeons puzzling. Here are three which clearly belong in Fallen London.

[spoiler]

The rubbery pigeon. Note vestigial tentacles.

The Eyeless Dove, sighted briefly in the Nadir.

This was the Traitor Empress’ favourite, once.[/spoiler]
edited by Flyte on 10/3/2013

Pigeons are terrifying. The only eviller bird is the seagull. Which I regularly get to watch eating pigeons.

… Zeagull?

That’s pretty vicious, but are scientists trying to turn them into dinosaurs?

The Midnight Matriarch:

[Source.]

[quote=mayexist]The Midnight Matriarch:

[Source.][/quote]

Kittyyyyyyyyy _

Wait - is that her actual fur, or a coat? O_o

A Frost Moth:

I think these people are looking in the wrong place. I’m sure I saw a Mongolian Death Worm just the other day in Wolfstack Docks[li]

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-cfz-demands-your-respect-and-that-you-believe-in-monsters

Half beast, half candle (I hope this design will be taken in consideration for St. E or F):

[quote=mayexist]Half beast, half candle (I hope this design will be taken in consideration for St. E or F):

[/quote]

Kitt… Oh… Oh my O_o

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=mayexist]Half beast, half candle (I hope this design will be taken in consideration for St. E or F):

[/quote]

Kitt… Oh… Oh my O_o[/quote]

I wanted one, then saw the price. :-(