StoryNexus: Upcoming Changes, July 2020

[color=#0066ff]Back in 2013, we put StoryNexus into maintenance mode. For the last seven years we’ve continued to host and maintain it, but over time the case for this has become less and less compelling, because of the increasing availability of excellent alternatives like ink and Twine, and also because of the dwindling number of active StoryNexus creators. In the last eight months, the number of third-party worlds to have received any updates can be counted on the fingers of a single hand.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]We disabled the creation of new worlds in January 2019, and in August last year we let you know that we planned to retire all user-created StoryNexus worlds. Now we have an update about what this will look like, and when it will happen.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]From the 15th July, world creators will no longer have access to the StoryNexus content management system. That means it will no longer be possible to edit StoryNexus worlds.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Worlds which contain fewer than 50 branches or which are unpublished will be taken offline. (If you’d like to publish it before then, you can change the status of your world on the Edit World page. Provided that it meets the branch requirements, it will then remain online.)[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Remaining worlds – some 160 of them, by our estimate – will remain online and playable.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]If you would like to an export of your world’s data, or if you have any questions about your own world, please email support@failbettergames.com. Please make any requests for world data before 8th July.[/color]

Extremely disappointing, even though it was expected. I do have some mild critique on this announcement though. Ink and Twine do not easily replace StoryNexus… I’ve been trying for a year and a half. Also, we all knew this was coming, so yeah, we stopped working on them. Why paint the walls in a house set to be demolished?

2 Likes

You said we’d be getting more info on what to expect exactly by last March, and it took you guys a year past that to tell us anything. I was hoping the lengthened time meant that there might be some positive or support for people who spent a lot of time working on their worlds, but apparently we’re just being dropped of at the fire station. I appreciate what you built, and I thank you for allowing our creativity to reach this medium, I just wish we could see it through.

Maybe the few active creators (or retired ones that still would love their works to be accessible) can join forces to provide a p2p network solution for the content?

There are games in there that I still love. Below, for obvious reasons. Rat Sending Simulator, for all sorts of non-obvious reasons. Cabinet Noir. Annwn. Also some incomplete ones that will haunt me forever, like that gunslinger one with the daddy longlegs and all that. Has any of these been recreated on other services? Or are there any similar ones on those services?

I don’t think so. There has been an attempt to simulate Black Crown, but it doesn’t seem to work anymore, at least it never worked for me.

It’s a shame for all the game you mentioned, but I game I’m especially saddened by it’s incompletion is Samsara; I would have really liked to see the ending. Obviously, the game would follow history, and Siraj ud-Daulah, the nawab of Bengal will be executed by the British, but I think the protagonist could escape, at least have a theory on how they could.