Steel feedback.

[quote=Andrea Serafini]
Do not worry. It still there, in the NORTH, waiting to crush your juicy bones and soul.
This said, what about a keyboard shortcut for firing?[li]
edited by Mizr. Edlaine Saphburgh on 10/7/2014[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]My soul is but a dried husk filled with bitter memories of distant lands.[/li][li] Mt Nomad started spawning again and ripped me a new one. That with fully pimped up dreadnaught and all stats above 100. The new Mt Nomad is the best surprise of Steel for me so far. [/li][li]
[/li][li]Lorn Flukes need looking at. The one at Port Cecil only sits in one place and submerges once in a while.
[/li][li]
[/li][li]I completely agree with a keyboard shortcut for firing weapons. I like playing SS one handed. There was also a handicapped player on the Steam forums who can’t operate mouse and keyboard at the same time. He’d also appreciate it.

[/li]

When I went to download Steel via the Humble Store, Avast went bonkers, declaring it infected with malware.

Just had a very short session on steel, established captain with merchant ship and maxed mirrors and iron.

I really like that I can collapse the office display and see more of the map.

Combat is a bit tricky and more a matter of blundering about and being lucky at the moment. It took me three attempts to get past the first steam-pinnace without taking damage.

But I haven’t taken any damage from the bigger beasties or the one corsair I finally tracked down near Gaider’s Mourn, I sailed round the whole of the Corsair’s Forest without finding any, went to the next section (The Snares) and killed a bound shark and elder crab. Back into the Corsair’s Forest still no pirates or Khanate ships, out again and on my third attempt found a pirate. This is going to be difficult to adjust to as an established player as I used pirates as my main source of fuel, supplies and loot.

Reduction in terror is nice but I didn’t really find it a problem in earlier games once I had done all the initial exploring.

I guess it is time to start a new game and see what it is like to play in the starting ship, with low stats and very little money. Edit to add - after I have taken a look at the new islands:)
edited by reveurciel on 10/10/2014

[quote=Andrea Serafini][quote=Reh]
This said, what about a keyboard shortcut for firing?[/quote]

The 1 and 2 keys do it for me.

[quote=Ewan C.]Wandered into Steam to get the Steel update, hoping we get the Mac Humble issue fixed soon.

Two items of immediate feedback.
(i) Why is the activation range for weapons so close? I have to be basically touching an enemy for combat to begin, despite a much longer effective range - or am I missing something?[/quote]

You can initiate combat by clicking on the enemy.

The new islands are very pretty, I am really looking forward to seeing the stories.

Combat - still learning and there aren’t as many things to practice on. Made me realise just how much I depended on hunting and looting to get around the Unterzee, so have needed to spend money to refuel and resupply and also didn’t have much loot to sell when I got to the appropriate ports :(

[quote=GeoffreyBrent][quote=Ewan C.]Wandered into Steam to get the Steel update, hoping we get the Mac Humble issue fixed soon.

Two items of immediate feedback.
(i) Why is the activation range for weapons so close? I have to be basically touching an enemy for combat to begin, despite a much longer effective range - or am I missing something?[/quote]

You can initiate combat by clicking on the enemy.[/quote]

Ohhhh.

Thanks! That makes sense, indeed.

I really enjoyed the mirrored city storyline. A reasonably-rare case where I was unsure either of the canonical-‘best’ choice or of my character’s own desired choice. That’s the only new one I have found thus far, though.

I didn’t find any places with stories, I went to Nuncio; the Chelonate; Visage and Gossamer Way, so I must have missed one or more new places. But then I started a new game, legacy captain, so it will take me a while to uncover the map again :(

Edit to say but what I have found so far is a pretty good map, having more in the blank tiles is very helpful, loving the new journal/log book entries; and I have got the Salt Lions right outside London and my two favourite hunting grounds are right next to each other:) So even with the reduced spawning rate I can just cross the border and get new beasties/ships to respawn:)
edited by reveurciel on 10/10/2014

First playthrough session done. Overall absolutely loving it. Random assortment of comments.

Combat:

• Got a bug where enemy is still chasing me despite being dead
  • perhaps hull damage could damage systems similar to FTL
  • give enemies special attacks? Maybe lifeberg leaves a trail of frozen ice when it charges that blocks movement? The underwater units are a nice touch
  • boarding parties?
  • I’ve been watching pre-steel combat and it seems more heated/demanding. steel is a simple matter of kiting and one shotting or not fighting at all
  • the shark moves awfully slow

Travel:

• weather effects that randomly affect you?
  • buoys or lightships that randomly fail at sea? Ever walked under a street lamp when it went out? terrifying.

Other:

• nearly every situation allows you to change officers to suit the situation. If this is intended, please make it easier? A hotkey that opens up the officers tab. Double click the officer to assign them? Don’t require the officer tab to be open during combat? Or have preset officer layouts. ex. upon getting ambushed you hit the &quotbattle stations&quot button and your iron and mirror officers replace your fuel efficiency and veil traveling officers. But really I’d prefer that each trip out of London requires you to pick you officers for that journey.
  • Officers should also count as crew?
  • a stat that has an effect on your sight/light distance/coverage
  • random supply missions? (deliver x to y or sometimes pirates contact you requesting for help)
  • pirates/enemies that run away from you when they know they are outgunned
  • an underwater city maybe?
  • feed/treat/pet your bat?
  • other traveling boats/merchants?
    edited by mavericknm on 10/10/2014

Not Steel specific, but still feedback - unless the deeds to the steam yacht over at the tomb colonies carries between playthroughs, having it as a reward for a Zee encompassing quest like the First Curate’s seem wildly disproportionate - not that it isn’t a good ship, but not good enough to require what seem to be several actions that will limit your playthrough in myriad ways. Unless the yacht’s stats are noticeably increased, or the means of getting the deeds for it are changed, I think it’ll go in the &quotwhy even bother&quot pile along with the smuggling cutter.
edited by IHNIWTR on 10/10/2014

Speaking of the cutter - what is the point of it? Four thousand echos and invested game time for a vessel that seems geared towards combat and prize taking, but because it cant hold anything it’s dependent on staying near London for fuel, supplies and crew, unable to venture out to where there might be enough capturable ships to make it a worthwhile purchase.
edited by IHNIWTR on 10/10/2014

[quote=IHNIWTR]Speaking of the cutter - what is the point of it? Four thousand echos and invested game time for a vessel that seems geared towards combat and prize taking, but because it cant hold anything it’s dependent on staying near London for fuel, supplies and crew, unable to venture out to where there might be enough capturable ships to make it a worthwhile purchase.
edited by IHNIWTR on 10/10/2014[/quote]

A general ship rebalancing is getting kind of urgent, especially in terms of turning rates and maneuverability.

I must be doing something horribly wrong with combat. I just keep sinking. Two hits and I am dead and I cannot for the life of me work out how to avoid hits or stop them hitting me!

What are your mirrors and veils?[li]

I suspect that right now having enough mirrors + veils to get the first shot in is pretty determinative of combat. Whoever gets the first shot seems to generally win.

Anyone tried the new Caminus Yards weapon out? Also, are the Steel-Beta and non Steel-Beta versions of the game currently the same?

What are your mirrors and veils?[li]

I suspect that right now having enough mirrors + veils to get the first shot in is pretty determinative of combat. Whoever gets the first shot seems to generally win.[/quote]

[/li][li]I’m just finding the whole live action system, I can’t seem to keep them in my charging up system or dodge attacks and if I turn around them close enough to keep them in my red circle they blow me up,[/li]

So after trying out the combat a bit, I have mixed feelings. It’s certainly an interesting dynamic, but pretty unbalanced at the moment. Obviously, that will continue to be tweaked. Seconding the people who have mentioned that the decrease in enemies has made going to Zee a lot more expensive. The Pirate ships around Gaider’s Mourn were always a useful source of Supplies and Fuel.

I’d say my biggest gripe is with the cargo crates defeated enemies drop that you have to go fetch; combat already burns up a ton of Fuel, is it really necessary to make us backtrack to get the loot from a kill?

So, I made a new captain and tried the combat. Things I do not like about it: the viciously steep learning curve, the lack of evasion/Veils options, the Fuel burn, the way even weak enemies can two-shot sink you, the difficulty of running, the difficulty of coming out of any encounter without needing to do heavy repairs. I messed around with it for an hour last night and, after the third time I sank, X-ed out in immense frustration.

Yes, fine, casual gamer can’t take a challenge, how tragic, but surely if they’re trying to convert FL players, they don’t just want really dedicated people? Surely my first experience of such an integral part of the gameplay shouldn’t have been analogous to bashing my head repeatedly against a wall? Ugh. I probably will go back in a few days, because I really want the new story content, but right now every time I think about trying combat again my brain immediately presents me with five more pleasant things I could be doing with my down time instead.

(This is a very griping comment. I appreciate your work, Sunless Sea guys! How about a difficulty slider for the minor enemies, or does that go against the &quotLose Your Mind Eat Your Crew&quot philosophy?)

I agree with Kieran,
Tried for about 5 hours last night. I found no new content and every single time I got into combat I died.

I quit the game in frustration and went to play something easier. Combat is an integral part to the game and now I feel like it’s ruining it.

I burnt through so much fuel trying to take down a pirate pinnancle or w bound shark. If it opens fire or attacks it’s a guaranteed hit and after two of them I die. There is no way to dodge these attacks beyong being a master level button masher.

Even if by some miracle I can control my unwieldy ship enough to charge my weapon up and win I’ve taken so much damage I can’t risk anything other then going home.

Also hull repair, all three options repair 25 points so there appears to be no point in the expensive option any more.

Yeah, currently as it stands combat has now ruined the game. I don’t dare try it or I die.