[Spoilers] SMEN Redux: What I know so far

Now there’s a button that demands to be clicked!

I just received my &quotA Bad End&quot and there’s a bunch of information flying around right now so I figured it might be helpful to people if I collected what I knew so far in one place.

So Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name has returned and from what I’ve been reading it sounds like any worries about defanging have been largely exaggerated. I was still relatively new when it was originally retired but I’ve been eager to jump in since I learned of it’s existence (from the retirement letter). First up in the list of things we know.

Unaccountably Peckish

It’s now a pretty terrible menace. Each point seems to add an undiscardable card to your deck (I’m not sure of the number where this stops being true) where all the options do terrible things to you in exchange for discarding a single point (the static storylet to discard all UP is gone). These cards also have options which are locked if you have Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance (MMiDoS) and grant that quality in addition to a single point of Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name (SMEN). As with the other options, these options tend to be… not nice. Once you have MMiDoS you can’t pick these options again until Time the Healer will remove the quality. These options appear to be the cheapest way to advance SMEN in the early stages (with some exceptions) although they require patience.

There is also an option to get SMEN if you don’t have it when Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter. It’s only available at certain higher airs numbers and requires Nightmares 5 and (I believe) Scholar of the Correspondence.

Gaining &quotA Bad End&quot

After gaining my first point of SMEN I drew a card called &quotAn Alphabet of Scars&quot which unlocked at SMEN exactly 1 and Scholar of the Correspondence anything. This gives you two pretty straight forward options (not the two above), one warning you that you really shouldn’t pick it. So, of course, I did. I’ll admit to being pretty nervous about that as I’m SotC 21. This gave me +2 SMEN at the cost of a small boost to Wounds and Nightmares and about 1/5 of a level of Persuasive and Dangerous. I was then sent to the storylet you see above where I sealed my fate.

I’m not sure if this is the only way to get &quotA Bad End&quot. Given the specificity of the lock I’m assuming that if there are other options I will no longer be able to see them. This is what I know so far. I hope some of you found it helpful.
edited by An Individual on 6/9/2016

I know this isn’t really on topic…but where does that &quotAnd do not click this link&quot go to?

Click here and find out. If you dare.

Click here and find out. If you dare.[/quote]

Well, that was a dissapointment, oh well.

Apparently the candles are up again as well. I just received an opportunity card titled “St. Beau’s Candle” in my deck and am too scared to do anything with it.

Oh Goodness, the candles return?

I do hope a powerful seeker appears and shares their quest with the rest of us, until we can join them ourselves.

[quote=&quotThe Doom Tiger&quot]&quotMarsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance 5 - The Compass of Souls In the migrainous straits of deep sleep, there is a marsh where candle-flames buzz like wasps.&quot[/quote]
Does anyone know if this will all vanish with Time the Healer, or if I will have to wait multiple weeks before the cards do anything?

So does anyone know what’s the easiest way to get that “opt you out of all Mr Eaten content permanently” card? Because I would very much like to opt out of all Mr Eaten content permanently at my earliest convenience.

You cannot opt out of all SMEN content without first progressing to SMEN 2. What you can do is remove all your Unaccountably Peckish through the Labyrinth or the card A Restorative unlocked with Wounds 2. Not having any UP will prevent you from encountering any relevant cards.
edited by Optimatum on 6/9/2016

If you just tank Unaccoutably Peckish it will leave you alone. If you really want the permanent opt out though get to SMEN 1 then await the card mentioned in the first post and follow the option it warns you against and it will take you to that screen. It’s worth noting that this will end up hitting some of your stats and things so just tanking UP might be the better option.

I am told that the options on The Seeking Road each advance SMEN one level, so the Appalling Secrets one is the cheapest by far if you have very high Watchful.

Halving my SoTC seemed to boost me 3 or 4 levels. (At 21 SoTC and SMEN 2)

If you just tank Unaccoutably Peckish it will leave you alone. If you really want the permanent opt out though get to SMEN 1 then await the card mentioned in the first post and follow the option it warns you against and it will take you to that screen. It’s worth noting that this will end up hitting some of your stats and things so just tanking UP might be the better option.[/quote]
Thankyou for the tip. I think that’s what I’m going to do, myself. :-)

KNAVE OF REGRETS (Unaccountably Peckish 8) offers an option to end your quest for the Name at the cost of 1 Aeolian Scream and 100 Jade Fragments (Requires Connected: Urchins 10). I lost 1 level of Connected: Urchins (dropped from 21 to 20). Note: I had not yet started seeking, so I don’t know if there are more consequences for using this after starting.

Why does it only get rid of 5 of the candles?

Unlikely source, indeed. The surviving Masters should just hire urchins to lurk around dentists’ offices and puff bellows in the face of tooth thieves.

What level of SMEN do you need for that option? At the moment I can only halve my Watchful or my Scholar of the Correspondence. At the moment I’m hoping that I can keep my UP at 1 and us the ACE OF HUNGERS to boost my SMEN once a week. Not keen of having to halve maxed stats right away.

That option unlocks at SMEN 4.

Appalling Secrets requires SMEN 4.

Hm… it seems something may have changed while I slept. I was holding on to an ACE OF HUNGERS card for next TTH but it seems to have vanished. I’m still UP 1. Anyone else have something like this happen? I’m curious if the requirements have been altered.