Someone is Coming

Just played the opportunity card “An anonymous tip-off”. Got the standard hastily scrawled note. However, I appear to have also picked up a new venture entitled “Someone is Coming”. The description simply states “Someone will be here soon.” Intriguing. Has anyone else seen this? Is this a rare-success for the card or something new akin to “Recalling a Dream of Other Places”?

Thoughts?

Announced over in the Announcements forum: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic446-new-content-for-march-21st-2012.aspx

The announcement also mentioned Conflict cards, and I can confirm seeing it on the Rubbery Men/Revolutionary conflict card. (The pro-Revolutionary side) It’s in the Progress section, so I wonder if going to Zee or the places of Menace reset it- I was planning on heading to Zee in the next few days, so I might be able to learn that then.

Ah yes, thank you I see it now. Interesting to say the least. :)

It seems to show up primariily on cards people tend to throw away without a second thought. Which means it’s likely this quality is a deliberate attempt to increase the percieved value of these cards.

Going to Zee does not reset Someone is Coming. In fact, several of the opportunity cards there improve it.

Hmm, I’ve gotten the quality to 6 “Just over your shoulder”, and still nothing new that I can tell. So, that’s 21 actions so far. Unless the reward is very good, I don’t see it helping out much with cards people normally just toss.

Other cards that raise it: “Jack strikes again”, and “A chance encounter with an old friend…”
edited by SeanH on 3/23/2012

I finally got the card, and was amused by the mouseover description:

Someone is Coming
Someone is coming…
(unlocked with Someone is Coming 4)

[quote=Patrick Reding]I finally got the card, and was amused by the mouseover description:

Someone is Coming
Someone is coming…
(unlocked with Someone is Coming 4)[/quote]

How was it affected after you used it? Did it reset or drop? Were there multiple options, and if so did they have unlock requirements?

The quality is reset when you use it, and there were multiple options. They all require SiC 6, and all but one requires some other quality on top of that. Most of them require you to have played a low-level Fate-locked storyline. The actual payoff is worth 12 Echoes, if I remember correctly, so well worth the investment. I’ll leave you to discover the details yourself.
edited by Patrick Reding on 3/24/2012

[quote=Patrick Reding]I finally got the card, and was amused by the mouseover description:

Someone is Coming
Someone is coming…
(unlocked with Someone is Coming 4)[/quote]

So, just to be clear, someone is coming?

At least it’s not THEY ARE COMING THEY ARE COMING THEY ARE COMING.

At least it’s not The Part Where He Kills You. :)

At least it’s not The Part Where He Kills You. :)[/quote]

Loved that.
GladOS: Well, this is the part where he kills us.
Wheately: Hello! This is the part where I kill you!
Chapter 9: The part where he kills you
Achievement Unlocked: The part where he kills you

One of those “repeat until funny” gags. Oh a side note, I’m at 8, almost 9, for the quality. So far nothing.
edited by Urthdigger on 3/25/2012

Yeah, I’m closing in on 8. Must be a fairly rare card…

I’m nearing 10, personally. I tend to build up my Connected: Whatever through balancing them out with those conflict cards. I do wonder how many named levels there are; apparently I’m very busy studiously ignoring the person Just Behind My Shoulder.

[color=00ffff]We’ve tweaked this card internally so it’ll be less elusive, but the change won’t go active until next week.[/color]

I got the card at 4, but the choices require a 6 quality. I got 4 mourning candles out of it… But in any case, the conflict cards are better now, so this storylet is just a welcome bonus.
There are 6 choices; one get you Primordial Shrikes with no requirement, one get you Visions of the Surface but requires you to be a POSI, the others requires the fate-locked storylines (Long Lost Daughter, Rubbery Murders, Soul Trade)

Edit: The quality is gone after playing the card.
edited by Byron Man on 3/25/2012

The quality is gone, no matter how high it is? We’re seeing people getting it into the double digits.

Yes. Try not to raise it above 6.

A curious observation: One of the options on the card is unlocked by the quality Your Very Own Infernal Contract. The text is “Lost your soul, eh? Well, I might just have it here! And your contract too!”

No.
I haven’t lost my soul.
I’ve sold it numerous times and every time I did, I made sure to get it back. It’s currently in my possession - rather tattered and stained, but still, it’s in my possession.
I understand what’s meant to be said here, but as it stands, the text is irrelevant to me (and rather a lot of other people) and yet it’s unlocked. It should either be rewritten, or the quality should be removed when you regain your soul.