September’s Exceptional Story: For All The Saints

[color=#cc0099]Delicious friends, the Exceptional Story for September is here!

Join an Intrepid Deacon on a deadly mission for the Church. Hunt for a missing saint, infiltrate the Brass Embassy and uncover the hidden history of Hell. What will you give up to learn the truth?

For All The Saints Who From Their Labours Rest is the first story in the Season of Celebrations, and was written by James Chew. This Season invites you to attend three new festivals within London. You can begin each from the Season of Celebrations card.

Editing, design and QA: Chris Gardiner and Olivia Wood.

Art by Paul Arendt.

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:

[ul][li]Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private members’ club on the Stolen River, packed with content[/li][li]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six![/li][li]A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once![/li][/ul]Finishing all three stories in the Season of Celebrations will make you eligible for an additional opportunity, to follow.

If you want to keep an Exceptional Story beyond the month it’s for, you must complete the related storylet in the current Season’s card throughout London. This will save it for you to return to another time.[/color]
edited by Absintheuse on 8/30/2018

So far, the art, the concept and the writing are superb. Onwards!

So far I absolutely love the story, keep up the astounding work!

The ideas for HEM’s celebrations are hilarious. They also give the quality Airs of the Unctuous Official’s Late Night Inspirations. Love to know if it does anything…

If like the other recent seasons, it just changes the text for reading the UO’s notes.

You have my complete and undivided attention.

So, I’m one action into this story…

You unlocked this with Renown: Hell 50 (you needed 41).

It is addressed to a friend of the Brass Embassy
‘With great distaste, I find I must write to one such as yourself…’

It’s nice when certain aspects of your character are acknowledged. Especially that one, which has been my mantlepiece since I obtained it. Echo available at link below, although it doesn’t seem so very unique.

https://beta.fallenlondon.com/profile/PSGarak/14683453

Is it just me, or does the Deacon look a lot like Jude Law?

But oddly, only level 6 actually included the statement &quotYour Airs (…) quality is now 6&quot.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this.

You have my complete and undivided attention.

So, I’m one action into this story…

You unlocked this with Renown: Hell 50 (you needed 41).

It is addressed to a friend of the Brass Embassy
‘With great distaste, I find I must write to one such as yourself…’

It’s nice when certain aspects of your character are acknowledged. Especially that one, which has been my mantlepiece since I obtained it. Echo available at link below, although it doesn’t seem so very unique.

https://beta.fallenlondon.com/profile/PSGarak/14683453[/quote]

It looks like it uses whichever of Church and Hell you have higher, so the 41 is just based on your current Church level. No clue what happens if they’re the same.

[quote=Optimatum]

It looks like it uses whichever of Church and Hell you have higher, so the 41 is just based on your current Church level. No clue what happens if they’re the same.[/quote]

As Scarlet Saint I have both at 40
They needed a Neutral observer

Edit: I found a small error in the writing

Visit the Marchmont Estate
You ask your question. Lord Marchmont’s eyes close in pain. &quotWhen we were in the trenches, we would here a cry go up for the Chandler. On the other side. Banners bearing candles, and pale riders harrying Hell’s legions, charging through the no-man’s land&quot.
He pauses, and a grin spreads across his face like spilt milk. &quotWould you like to see my wounds before you go? They’re very ghastly.&quot

the &quothere&quot should be &quothear&quot

edited by Honeyaddict on 8/30/2018

I loved this story! By far my recent favorite. I couldn’t help but love the Deacon, though I’m a bit conflicted on how he ended up.

I’d be very grateful if someone could point me to the echo of

choosing to speak to the Chandler yourself.

And I’m also curious whether this changes the Deacon’s fate. How do you lower his &quotinfernal yearnings,&quot and what is the result?

[quote=Honeyaddict][quote=Optimatum]

It looks like it uses whichever of Church and Hell you have higher, so the 41 is just based on your current Church level. No clue what happens if they’re the same.[/quote]

<snip>
I’d say Optimatum is right. I have Renown: Church at 51 and Renown: Hell at 41,

[spoiler] so my mysterious letter to start the story came from the Bishop of Southwark. [ /spoiler]
edited by cathyr19355 on 8/30/2018

I’ve also noticed a small typo. In the storylet where you’re invited to examine Lord Marchmont’s wounds, it says at the end “This will increase your Nightmare.” That should read, “Nightmares.”

I am in love. Both with the story, and, for the first time, an NPC. The locations are even more impressive than the Ratcatcher’s wastes.
Which is why I am agonizing over one of the final choices. Anyone made a decision what to do with the Condotierre?

[quote=Jolanda Swan]I am in love. Both with the story, and, for the first time, an NPC. The locations are even more impressive than the Ratcatcher’s wastes.
Which is why I am agonizing over one of the final choices. Anyone made a decision what to do with the Condotierre?[/quote]

I left him alone – any instability in the ranks of Hell seems like a good thing for London! [li]

I could have sworn I echoed it, but seems I neglected to. Summary of my result under the cut:

If you choose to kill the Condotierre, there is a sword-fight and a description of a devil’s death (bees, smoke from the corpse, etc.) The Deacon has no mentioned reaction. The Chandler remains intact, so you can still choose later whether to hinder or advance the Brazen Brigade’s interests.

As someone who deeply cherishes their connections to the Infernal I have to ask, when presenting your ticket on the train, does the option to present the item ‘A One Way Ticket on the 12:15 to Hell’ consume the ticket?

This is definitely one of my all-time favorites, and I adored the NPC. I found the ending more emotionally affecting than most Exceptional Stories–I’m still thinking about it and wondering what my character could have done to change things.

I do wish the story itself had reflected a bit more of the Deacon’s Infernal Yearnings–you see that quality as a tracker, but his actions and dialogue didn’t fully show his journey to where he ended up, at least not to me? But overall he was a wonderfully realized character, and both my character and I would love to see him appear again.

…my heart hurts.
I need a moment.

I haven’t boarded the Moloch Station train yet, but so far I absolutely adore it.
I’m both a fan of Hell and the Church factions. And the The Intrepid Deacon is fantastic! And the description of the Brother’s wounds if you decide to look, stunning!

Does anyone have an Echo of using a One Way Ticket on the 12:15 to Hell to board? I’m rather curious!