Seeking Mr Eaten's name

[quote=Teaspoon]North.

Postscript: I have Bats and Notes, if anyone wishes to conduct science.
edited by Teaspoon on 2/23/2017[/quote]

North, indeed.

My alt is currently at an early stage of Seeking the Name, and I’m aware of what I need to throw down a well to get the third candle.

How many Trade Secrets should I hoard for a Classic Short Story or is it a better idea to sacrifice something else?

You need 2 for it to even be possible, but it’s like a 60% chance, if I recall correctly. I’d build up 3 or 4 to get better chances. There’s no sense in rushing it, as you’ve got a long way to go anyway.
If you want to spend fate, you can get a daughter an sacrifice her, which is a lot less expensive.
If you have an overgoat, then use that, but I probably wouldn’t grind for one. You’ll be grinding other things anyway (searing enigmas and notability), so you may as well just let the trade secrets build up.

[quote=Pourquoi]My alt is currently at an early stage of Seeking the Name, and I’m aware of what I need to throw down a well to get the third candle.

How many Trade Secrets should I hoard for a Classic Short Story or is it a better idea to sacrifice something else?[/quote]

You need at least 2 per attempt. You need something like 6 (I can’t remember exactly, might be 7) to get a 100% chance. My philosophy is to either make an attempt each time you get 2 or to wait until you can hit 100%. Chancing it right away gives you a 60% chance. So over 3 attempts (the same number as if you waited to get a 100% chance) you have a 93.6% chance of succeeding in one of those attempts. So if you want it on a less than 6 to 7 month time line I’d try as soon as possible each time. If you’re willing to wait, I’d save up for the 100% and not risk rolling the dice.

[quote=An Individual][quote=Pourquoi]My alt is currently at an early stage of Seeking the Name, and I’m aware of what I need to throw down a well to get the third candle.

How many Trade Secrets should I hoard for a Classic Short Story or is it a better idea to sacrifice something else?[/quote]

You need at least 2 per attempt. You need something like 6 (I can’t remember exactly, might be 7) to get a 100% chance. My philosophy is to either make an attempt each time you get 2 or to wait until you can hit 100%. Chancing it right away gives you a 60% chance. So over 3 attempts (the same number as if you waited to get a 100% chance) you have a 93.6% chance of succeeding in one of those attempts. So if you want it on a less than 6 to 7 month time line I’d try as soon as possible each time. If you’re willing to wait, I’d save up for the 100% and not risk rolling the dice.[/quote]

6 or 7 for 100% chance sounds about right; I think I spent 4 or 5 to get my chances to 88%.

What about the 7 Fluke-Cores option? It seems like a rather bad idea.

It’ll take ages n’ ages.

Someone was working on it, I think.

[quote=Teaspoon]It’ll take ages n’ ages.

Someone was working on it, I think.[/quote]
Optimatum, I believe. I think they had 6 Fluke Cores and 1 of the …green thingies whose name escapes me at the moment… last time I saw.
Edit: Oh yes, fecund amber
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017

[quote=Teaspoon]It’ll take ages n’ ages.

it’s only 42 draws of a certain card in the nadir, though. I mean, that’s not trivial, or exactly quick, but someone could have done it already if they started at seeking’s debut

But that requires RNG cooperation.

Which can be time-consuming.

Selling my ONE fluke core was one of the hardest things I had to do while Seeking (my character is heavily invested in Rubberiness). I can’t imagine grinding seven of them, then just throwing them away. Not sure how Mr. E would feel about that, either.

it’s done: the spacecatte has spent a little over a full year lapping the london life, and has returned to the north! (in the most gruesome way possible, perhaps, but it considers that to be part of the londonian charm)

i went with the A Question ending, and while i can completely understand people’s mixed feelings about it, i think it’s a perfect end for the ole catte. if anyone wouldn’t mind sending transcripts of the hate and grieve endings my way, i’d love to hear what else was available behind the other two! (i have the well stars quality to prove it on my mantle)

[quote=Pumpkinhead][quote=Teaspoon]It’ll take ages n’ ages.

Optimatum, I believe. I think they had 6 Fluke Cores and 1 of the …green thingies whose name escapes me at the moment… last time I saw.
Edit: Oh yes, fecund amber
edited by Pumpkinhead on 2/24/2017[/quote]

I’m up to 6 Fluke-Cores and 4 Fecund Amber now.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Teaspoon]It’ll take ages n’ ages.

it’s only 42 draws of a certain card in the nadir, though. I mean, that’s not trivial, or exactly quick, but someone could have done it already if they started at seeking’s debut[/quote]

I had one Fluke-Core and one Fecund Amber when SMEN returned. Since then I’ve visited the Nadir every single week, using a five-card lodgings, playing every Do you recall… card I draw, leaving only at Irrigo 9. I’m still two more draws of the card away from being done. I could be done by now if I was willing to play Do you recall… at Irrigo 9, but I’ve only even had that option a couple times. So no, if someone started the grind when SMEN returned - started from scratch that is, not starting partway done - it would take a hell of a lot of luck to be done by now.

feeling more than a little silly; i returned a couple of days ago after a lengthy hiatus, having forgotten all my best laid plans and most FL mechanics, decided to start progressing SMEN from the small amount I had from before the content hiatus since i’m out of most other content and immediately:

• knocked my scholar of the correspondence from 20 to 9
  • knocked my 210 watchful down to 22 and opened my ten hoarded trade secrets to boost it (i don’t have a classic novel yet)
  • sold all my rubbery stuff including 42 fecund amber and a fluke core. (this hadn’t been saving to a particular purpose i just love flukes and the nadir)
  • sold all my progress towards a second M_s B_d including 500 strangling willow i could have just converted into more useful items.
  • i sold a lot of other stuff, i’ll probably remember why i was hoarding it later and cry.

on the plus side now I can buy a lot of Matriarchs, I guess? I feel like this rash madness is true to the Spirit of Seeking but I still feel like an idiot for not taking a few days to settle in and reread the forums before pulling a carriage packed with my stuff up to the bazaar and unloading it with a merciless shovel.
edited by snape on 2/26/2017

You’re going to regret the trade secrets…

'less you have a daughter. Have you a daughter?

Of seeking note: The final Sunless Skies Kickstarter stretch goal is called the Marty-King’s Cup. It sounds pretty Candles-y.

Cough up another $12k, people.

[quote=Wiwo]Of seeking note: The final Sunless Skies Kickstarter stretch goal is called the Marty-King’s Cup. It sounds pretty Candles-y.

Cough up another $12k, people.[/quote]

Actually, it sounds rather Arthurian to me.

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Wiwo]Of seeking note: The final Sunless Skies Kickstarter stretch goal is called the Marty-King’s Cup. It sounds pretty Candles-y.

Cough up another $12k, people.[/quote]

Actually, it sounds rather Arthurian to me.[/quote]

Without a doubt, but there’s a lot of allusion to the Matter of Britain in SMEN, particularly on Winking Isle and when you go South as well as in AK’s Healing Question post. It’s pretty &quotelliptical&quot as AK put it, but it’s implied that Candles is something of a Fisher-King figure. The terminal event in Frostfound (itself a pretty Eaten-y place) also talks about a Hungry Monarch which might tie into this somewhat. D_____d if I know, so I want more material to work with.

So I finally hit 21 in SMEN! Now I’m trying to get one of the candles. I don’t have friends that I’m sure want to take part, so I can’t betray them. I thought I’d start by buying a Matriarch and betraying her…but I promptly sold ALL of my searing enigmas (instead of just a couple, as I meant to do), so I STILL can’t get that particular candle.

Sigh.

Have patience! You still have a long way to go. Seeking isn’t something that CAN be done in a rush, much less SHOULD be. But check all the options you have for betraying people. There are a lot of different ways to do it.