Seeking Mr Eaten's name

[quote=Proto Omega]So I finally hit 21 in SMEN! Now I’m trying to get one of the candles. I don’t have friends that I’m sure want to take part, so I can’t betray them. I thought I’d start by buying a Matriarch and betraying her…but I promptly sold ALL of my searing enigmas (instead of just a couple, as I meant to do), so I STILL can’t get that particular candle.

Sigh.[/quote]
I was fortunate enough to have a few people to betray, but mostly I did cats.
What I would suggest is to start working on 12 notability for Destin’s. Just side convert tier 3 items over and over and over. Each time you get 1 extra, and since you’re going to be doing it for a loooong time, you’ll build up a lot. I had thousands by the end of it (I sold them in batches; I never dealt with more than a thousand at a time).
Then, you can stop on tales of terror and convert them up until you get your searing enigmas back. It’ll take a while, but Destin’s does anyway.

The hungry monarch is probably Salt before ditching its name and heading East.

Betraying other players is pretty much the cheapest path. You could try the forum thread over here to find willing victims.
edited by Optimatum on 2/28/2017

You’ve got some wonky quote tags, Optimatum.
But yes, you’re right, betraying other players is absolutely the cheapest path and I would definitely try that thread if I were @Proto Omega. But you’re probably not going to get much from there. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone willing to be betrayed since Freed started preventing people from being betrayed.

Wait, Freed from the Name prevents betrayals now?

Sadly it does.

That’s a pity. @Proto Omega your best bet then might be to make some alts and raise their Watchful over 30 so they’re eligible for betrayal.

Awwww, and I loved having my Abs get betrayed! I thought it was kind of flattering how the Name kept sending people after my character, trying to tempt them into Seeking.

My friends, this is my end. I have gone North asking who is Salt. If anyonbe would be so kind as to share the two other settings via PM, I’d be eternally grateful.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Alexander%20Galtsev

The right time of the year you can just sacrifice a few nomans and close little more then quirks into the tears…

But this is not that time of year, that door has closed.

DONE.

Naraoia, who bore a clay arm, a rubbery appendage, and their own set of bandages, headed NORTH with hate in its mysterious heart, to the fluting and honking music of a full rubbery orchestra. They were accompanied by a boneless consort, who always insisted a reckoning was due. Ye Londoners, when you pry open Naraoia’s townhouse door, and fifty-six malevolent monkeys come spilling out into the street, remember the weird creature who once walked amongst you, who sought justice for you all.

(I would be enormously obliged if anyone wanted to share PMs of Grieving/Questioning.)
[li]

Sooo… just started seeking. As I understand these mechanics, I’ll be burning Watchful and Secrets until I get certain opportunity cards?

Don’t burn watchful, as it’s terribly inefficient and you’ll need it later.

You might consider referring to this guide.

[li]
At the beginning, the cards are the whole thing! Once you can use them efficiently. You need to get Unaccountably Peckish as high as you can (9-10 is best) and then get the numerically highest black-bordered card you can (check the guide or the wiki to see what each card costs you–some offer free points of SMEN). You can only do this once a week, but Seeking is an exercise in patience, so it’s best to get some practice early on.

Burning secrets, stats, or anything that’s difficult to replace (Scholar of the Correspondence, Mourning Candles, Searing Enigmas) is a certain path to insanity, as each level you gain only makes the next one cost more. I blew through tens of thousands of appalling secrets before I realized it was a case of diminishing returns.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Is there something I need the secrets for later? Because I haven’t been selling them, or the other items needed to convert into them, my entire time playing, so I’ll have something like 2500 of the things if I convert everything. Might as well use them.

They might be useful for making searing enigmas. You’ll need a lot of them later on.

How many searing enigmas do you need? I thought you really only needed around 14 (seven for St. Arthur’s, seven for the calling card).

If you really want, you can raise levels of the SMEN quality in early Seeking by charring yourself with enigmas.

Up to 21. You definitely need 7 for St Arthur’s, but you need 1 more for every midnight matriarch or spouse you betray. Player betrayals don’t need an extra, but there aren’t all that many people who want to be betrayed anymore.

Up to 21. You definitely need 7 for St Arthur’s, but you need 1 more for every midnight matriarch or spouse you betray. Player betrayals don’t need an extra, but there aren’t all that many people who want to be betrayed anymore.[/quote]

More precisely, many players who were willing to be betrayed no longer can be, because they either have the &quotFreed from the Name&quot quality, or they have decided to Seek for themselves.

Ah, that must be why I haven’t gotten any betrayals recently. sad-face

I’d been hoping to grind my Freed from the Name as high as I could. I guess it’s where it is now … and forever. (now)