Seeking Mr. Eatens Name [locked meta thread]

I recently stumbled upon this story and have managed to advance it to Level 3. The Wiki tells me the next steps (up to 6) are done by opportunity cards. Has anybody done this story sufficiently to tell me the names of the cards involved and, most importantly, if there are location restrictios on drawing them?

A serial victim of his own curiosity.

I’ve yet to do this, but I’d guess that all such cards would list their requirement: Namely, having that story quality at a certain level.

I’m up to a painful level in this storyline but I think I broke it and I’ve not had a card in an age.
The cards don’t have too many restrictions, except there’s a specific one at the docks and one at the Shuttered Palace called an Ivied Wall which I spent SO MANY DAYS flipping for.

The cards aren’t worth it. Head to Mahogany Hall and take the Saturday show after you’ve allied yourself with the Glass.

Oh damn, I made the mistake of colluding with the Shroud. Is there a way to align yourself with the Glass after doing that?

All I can say is: This will lead to no good. Don’t pursue it.

Mr. Eaten’s name is like a sign that says “Wet Paint”. Everyone says not to touch it, but you just can’t help yourself.

No, I don’t think there are restrictions. I’m looking for the same cards right now, I’ll post the names here when I come upon them.

Right after the beginning of that storylet, yes (something with becoming a double agent and betraying the side you chose first). But not after you’re deeper into it…

Anyone know how to get the Starvling Cat besides being gifted a boxed cat or several?

Pinstripeowl - me too! I was getting cards every couple of days all the way through, and now I only have two stains left to get I haven’t seen one in a couple of weeks. A bit irritating!

Morgred - as far as I’m aware, the only way to get a starveling cat is to open boxes that people have sent you. It took me several months before I finally got mine.

Peot - I don’t think the cards are location specific (though I believe they used to be). You just have to keep flipping!

There’s a detailed spreadsheet somewhere I have a copy of it if anyone wants me to send it to them. So the only other thing I can think of is the wiki page for help. (found it)

http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/seeking-mr-eaten-s-name

edited by Cubethulhu on 1/13/2012

What a naughty boy. Don’t you know you shouldn’t poke your head in other people’s business? That’s my Job. Anyway, Yes there are vines. As well, if you have any connections with the Masters they’ll leave you, and you’ll progress farther. At level 4 people start talking behind your back. As for six and farther… I’ve just gotten there… and I’m almost mad… Do you have any Laudinum I could use?

Yeah, that wasn’t the best of ideas. FBG hates the Shroud apparently. :/ You’ll have to use the cards then. I would recommend using only the vines card, since it just damages Dangerous – the others damage connections, which are rather harder to regain.
edited by Little The on 1/14/2012

[quote=peot]I recently stumbled upon this story and have managed to advance it to Level 3. The Wiki tells me the next steps (up to 6) are done by opportunity cards. Has anybody done this story sufficiently to tell me the names of the cards involved and, most importantly, if there are location restrictios on drawing them?

A serial victim of his own curiosity.[/quote]

There are a few things that unlock at SMEN 3.

1. There’s a card which unlocks at SMEN 3, Recurring Dreams: Death by Water 5. I don’t know it, but I hear it exists, and has to do with Doc Schlomo. I don’t know what it does. Maybe it advances SMEN, maybe not.
  2. A Message from the Masters. Formerly only available at Wolfstack Docks, maybe available everywhere, so people say. An opportunity card that wipes out all your Connection: Masters in exchange for one change point of SMEN. Very expensive, but if nothing else is around, you can grind Proscribed Texts for single points of Connected: Masters and then give it up for SMEN. Or use Fate on Mr Wines’ Revel. Bad idea, I don’t suggest it.
  3. An Ivied Wall. Formerly available only at the Shuttered Palace, now people say available everywhere. Costs you a bunch of points in different stats and raises wounds a lot. Dangerous challenge. Raises SMEN. Good idea.

The opportunity cards all get more and more rare as your SMEN gets higher, and they start out pretty damn rare. I thought that they stopped appearing at SMEN 4, but apparently they can get you all the way up to 6.

At SMEN 4, you get the card “Eyes burning your back”, which again raises SMEN by one change point and costs you a lot of connections.

At SMEN 6 new stuff appears.

It’ll take you forever and a day and then another forever to get this, it’s a very grindy and tedious story, really interesting though. Definitely recommend it.

There is I believe no other way. Isn’t there a cat-request thread somewhere on these forums? If not, there should be.

I don’t think it’s breakable. Just slow. I spent months trying to get from one level to another.

There is one thing I would like to ask. I hear that you will lose your soul when you stain it. After I get my soul back from those devils at the Embassy, I would like to begin staining it. Will I have to spend fate to get my soul back each time, or is there some different way to do it for SMEN?

Likewise to what Malgorath has said. I’ve spent the fate to get my soul back once, if I lose it again will I have to spend the fate again?

@malgorath @katarinaNavane
You needn’t spend fate to get it back a second, or third, or fourth time - but it will take a while, otherwise. Fate just…speeds up the process.

I think there’s also a social action to pass the cat after successfully unwrapping it, so you could post in the Starveling Cat section of this forum asking if there’s someone who wants to get rid of the feline ^^

Hunger for justice.[li]
edited by an emptiness on 9/30/2013