Seeker - A Fallen London Werewolf Game

Good evening, delicious friends.

Some of us have been discussing the idea of having an FL-themed Werewolf game, so I thought I’d get the ball rolling. This post is to lay out a bunch of the roles I know, suggest FL-styled titles for them, and request further input. Offer other roles you’ve heard of, new roles that suit the setting, or better names! For instance, I am finding it hard to think of thematic names for Old Man, Martyr, Sorceror and Pacifist.

I’d like to be Master for the first session when we’ve finalised the roles, so volunteer below!

To set out the rules simply; we have a number of Seekers hidden among a group of Citizens. By night, they eat the unsuspecting. By day, they hide among the Citizens and everyone votes to kill someone. The Citizens win if they kill all the Seekers, and the Seekers win if there are as many Seekers as Citizens remaining.

EDIT: At the beginning of the game, the Master will PM each participant with the details of their role. Then, by PM, the Agent and Sorceror will check their first suspect, the Snuffer chooses their persona, and Mr. Fires will nominate Lovers. This is followed by an open discussion of who should be the first person lynched (‘Daytime’). If a person is nominated by two people, they are eligible for lynching that day. Once the day’s nominations are decided, there is an open vote for who should be lynched. There is no abstaining; everyone nominated is voted on in sequence, and whoever receives the most negative votes is killed.

Following this, the city sleeps (‘Nighttime’), and, secretly and in order, the Enforcer chooses someone to protect, the Seekers choose someone to feast upon, the Agent chooses a suspect, followed by the Sorceror, the Crooked-Cross indoctrinates someone and the Magician chooses whether or not to avail of their power. This does, of course, depend on which roles are in play. Then the city awakens to take a toll of the night’s damage and the process repeats.

Roles are as follows:
Citizenry[li] Watcher: Become the Agent if the Agent is killed. [/li][li] Enforcer: Choose a player each night to protect. That player cannot be killed that night. Cannot choose the same player twice in a row.[/li][li] Mr. Fires: Choose two players to be lovers. If one of those players dies, the other dies from a broken heart. So sad.[/li][li] Drownie: If you are attacked by Seekers, the Seekers do not get fed the following night.[/li][li] Monster Hunter: If killed, immediately kill a target.[/li][li] Honey-Mazed: Must always vote for players to die.[/li][li] Unaccountably Peckish: Appear falsely to be a Seeker to the Agent.[/li][li] Priest: Can choose to take the place of anyone who has just been lynched.[/li][li] Criminal (2/3): You know who the other Criminals are.[/li][li] Parliamentarian: Your vote counts twice when voting to lynch a player.[/li][li] Old Man: You will die on night X, where X is the number of Seekers in the game plus one.[/li][li] Constable: Once during the game, learn if one player out of three is a Seeker.[/li][li] Pacifist: Must always vote for players to live.[/li][li]Doctor: Once during the game, choose to protect a player. The next attempt to kill that player fails.[/li][li] Trickster: Survive a lynching and reveal your role.[/li][li] Agent: Each night, point at a player and learn if they are a Seeker or not.[/li][li] Duellist: You survive an extra day if attacked by Seekers at night, once.[/li][li] Revolutionary: Once per game, choose to have two lynchings on one day.[/li][li] Citizen: Find the Seekers and lynch them.[/li][li] Magician: Kill or heal a player at night, once each per game.[/li][li]Betrayed: You are a citizen until attacked by Seekers, at which time you become a Seeker.[/li][li]Snuffer: Select a player the first night. If that player dies, you secretly take that role.[/li][li]Topsy King (the best role): You are a normal Citizen until the third night, when you remember your real role.

Seekers and Their Allies[/li][li] Seeker: Eat a citizen each night.[/li][li]Sorcerer: On the Seeker team, but does not appear as a Seeker to the Agent. Does not choose a person to kill at night. Look for the Agent each night.[/li][li] Sacrifice: A Seeker, and appears as such, but does not get to choose who to eat. If you die, the Seekers get two kills the following night. And yes, this can lead to the situation where the Sacrifice is the last Seeker in play and has no ability to kill people at night.[/li][li] Lone Seeker (Betrayer?): You are a Seeker, but you only win if you are the last player alive.

Other[/li][li]Crooked-Cross: Each night, add a player to your cult. You win if all of the players left alive are part of your cult.[/li][li]Black Ribbon: You are nominally a Citizen, but only win if you are killed.[/li][li]Lovers: If both Lovers are on the same team, then they retain their original allegiance. However, if one lover is a villager and the other a Seeker, they can only win as the last pair standing, and the Bazaar is pleased.[/li][li]Face/Teeth: Indicate two players on the first night. If they die and you are alive at the end of the game, you win.

Master (Mr. Eaten? Maybe a more amenable Master…): Moderates the game.

edited by Cocytus on 12/9/2013
[/li]
edited by Cocytus on 12/9/2013

Oh, yes! :D Finally!

Although I have to say - that is a massive amount of roles, and it will be difficult to keep track of. I think we should trim it down, perhaps using different roles for different games. I mean, there’s always going to be the citizenry, the seekers, and the moderator, but other than that? Also, the Lovers thing is rather confusing - could you explain it?

As for the Idiot - perhaps ‘Honey-Mazed?’ Would account for the violence of that role, I think. Or possibly just go for the violence and say Revolutionary, and the pacifist can be a Clergyman? And the Mayor; Parliamentarian?

I very much like the idea of an Unaccountably Peckish person appearing as a false positive. That’s not a role I’d heard of before, but it certainly works well - the Agent’s going to be investigating them, and they’ll look like a Seeker, but they’re not.[li]
edited by Laluzi on 12/8/2013

[quote=Laluzi]Oh, yes! :D Finally!

Although I have to say - that is a massive amount of roles, and it will be difficult to keep track of. I think we should trim it down, perhaps using different roles for different games. I mean, there’s always going to be the citizenry, the seekers, and the moderator, but other than that? Also, the Lovers thing is rather confusing - could you explain it?

As for the Idiot - perhaps ‘Honey-Mazed?’ Would account for the violence of that role, I think. Mayor - Parliamentarian?

I very much like the idea of an Unaccountably Peckish person appearing as a false positive. That’s not a role I’d heard of before, but it certainly works well - the Agent’s going to be investigating them, and they’ll look like a Seeker, but they’re not.[/quote]

[li]
Aye, the Master will pick a set of roles from the pool at the start of the game; it’s entirely their prerogative if they want to let people know what’s in and what’s out. Good call on the names!

As for Lovers, at the very beginning, Mr. Fires will PM the Master the names of two other players he wants to become Lovers. Then the Master will PM those two to let them know who their Lover is.

I’m interested, but would say that that’s far too complicated. Six to eight roles - at most - is best.

Well, I normally scorn simplicity, but if it’ll make more people play I’m willing to accede. What roles are best?[li]

The thing is, with that many roles, nobody will remember what’s going on, or if the person they just killed is good or bad or not. Ideally, you want your villagers, your werewolves, and maybe 2-5 special roles, depending on the number of players.

Also - food for thought. What about a Topsy King role, where the player can only talk nonsense? Alternatively, others could pretend to be crazy to avert suspicion. :P

I have some ideas.

-Instead of a lone seeker maybe have that person be Jack-of-Smiles instead.
-Replace the priest with the doctor and make the martyr a priest or the pacifist the priest.
-Replace Mr. Fires with Mr. Wines or Mr. Spice since they are more involved with love more than Mr. Fires in my opinion.
-Make God into the Neath

Mr Fires is actually heavily involved in love, but I agree with most of Arthur’s suggestions.

Personally, though, I’d rather play a game with two or three Seekers than one Jack-of-Smiles.

Ah my apologies then with Mr. Fires. I must have missed that detail somewhere. My mistake.

It’s a part of the Light Fingers ambition, so it’s by no means hard to miss.

Anyway - I’ve heard some talk of doing this on an IRC, and doing it on the forum. Honestly, I’d prefer to have it on the forum - it encourages more thorough storytelling, and also leaves a readable record of everything that happened for anyone curious. However, forum games are much slower and clunkier, and prone to people going missing midway. So… what do you all think?

I’d like to avoid clogging up the recent posts feed. What about Livejournal? It actually has a pretty decent comment system, but people would have to get an account if they don’t already have one.[li]
edited by mayexist on 12/8/2013

[quote=Laluzi]It’s a part of the Light Fingers ambition, so it’s by no means hard to miss.

Anyway - I’ve heard some talk of doing this on an IRC, and doing it on the forum. Honestly, I’d prefer to have it on the forum - it encourages more thorough storytelling, and also leaves a readable record of everything that happened for anyone curious. However, forum games are much slower and clunkier, and prone to people going missing midway. So… what do you all think?[/quote]

[li]
Hmm…an IRC would be good to use and I have seen people storytelling within IRC’s. Of course, a record may be difficult to come by but then again I have come across IRC’s that allow for some record keeping. I’ll go for the IRC in this case.

I’d go for the forum due to access simplicity. I’m also interested in a game, btw.

IRC is very easy to access, in my opinion. There are only three steps: follow a link, type a username and click ‘Connect’. And if it happens on IRC, I or one of the other mods can easily provide a transcript.

I share all the reservations which have been expressed about doing this on the forum – clunkiness, the drop-out rate, clogging up the recent posts page. The first two apply to LiveJournal as well, and that certainly has a higher access barrier than IRC.

Sounds like a lot of fun, I’d be interested in joining though I do have to agree with others that there may be too many different roles.
As to where to host the game, the forum would be best for me as its easy to use on my phone and I can keep checking it throughout the day. I’m not sure how well I’d be able to use IRC on my mobile.

[color=#009900]Folks, this is likely to fill up the Recent Posts thread, and cause confusion to lurkers and newcomers, given that you’re using FL character names for the roles and not everyone’s heard of Werewolf.[li][/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]If you want to use a forum format I’d rather you found it a home on a dedicated Werewolf site or the like, though I’ll happily sticky a link there if it proves popular.[/color]

Alright so, looks like we should see about making an IRC room for the purpose. Would someone else do the honours? I can’t do it during the day, as work is a constraint. I’ll see if I can find a Mafiabot that can be modded with the names this evening.

I’m only just making a comment, so I also don’t think I should make the room, but I would be very keen for this!

I like the idea of FL roles for Mafia/Werewolf, but agree that you’ve got a whole bunch too many for just one game. Not that that’s really a problem.

Yea verily (and forsooth, if you’re into that sort of thing), we’ll never have enough people in the game to use every role at once, so the Master will pick a number of roles according to the number of people playing.

Except when seven people are playing, then everyone is a Seeker.