Seasonal Event: All Hallow's Eve (Halloween)

[color=009933][color=009933][/color][/color][color=009933][color=009933][/color][/color]

A fine and good season for darkness and murk amidst the spires of this gloom festooned metropolis! I bring season tidings of a coming event, All Hallow’s Eve. Or as those posh surface goers are so fond of calling, &quotHalloween&quot.

I have re-purposed this old forum thread that we might ensure continuity and leave the rest of the forum uncluttered with more threads. Here we can speak of the trouble that decent citizens might get up to after the lamplights go out and curfews set in on this fabled night. Information on notorious individuals will be made available to those new to this oddity of our underground city.

Individuals of Note (be on the lookout!) - Do note that we may possibly encounter other outlandish characters this year!

The Larcenous Rubbery Man: A distasteful creature to look upon, but willing to reveal the dark secrets of its kind if you will so let it.

A Very Dour Special Constable: The Masters keep many agents and servants, but none are more public and loyal than the black-clad special constables. On special nights each year they may approach prominent citizens with important information.

A Genial Magician: A capable figure from amidst the war of the Shroud and the Glass, yet he has made pacts with forces beyond even his wiles.

The Bishop of Southwark: A boisterous and ranking clergyman, his strength of faith is matched only by his indomitable ambitions.

A Diabolic Diplomat: As Devils go he is dangerous and cunning, but this time he brings more than the risk of damnation.

The Haunted Doctor: Here is a gentleman in sombre clothing of good cut, but his past haunts him and his present troubles cloud his thoughts. Be wary, it is certain he is entwined with the Revolutionaries!

A Navy Liuetenant (the Presbyterate Adventuress?’): A brazen soldier from far off lands, she speaks of a lost bet and prophecies she believes hold no sway.

Interesting Qualities to Consider:

• An obscure quality, &quotPutting the Pieces Together: the Drownies&quot can be garnered for use during this holiday in only a few ways of which I only know one (perhaps the only). Adept thieves might ‘visit’ the House of Cubit Square and during the Heist come across the Weeping Maid. She will gift this strange reflection at the cost of lost time.

----

edited by Owen Wulf on 10/30/2014

I think All Hallow’s Eve only happened once, like, years ago. Ancient history. Before I started regularly playing.
Not to say it couldn’t happen this year, but it might be unlikely!

That is a shame. I would have thought with all the elements of horror and mystery that is imbued in the setting that a Halloween themed event would come naturally. Pity, but I suppose the team is just busy building new content in Sunless Sea. Hopefully when they are done with that they can take time to expand Fallen London itself. Still waiting to hunt that Vake.

edited by Owen Wulf on 10/4/2013

How was All Hallow’s Eve actually celebrated in Victorian England?

The team is understandably excited about Sunless Sea. It represents a whole new frontier for them to imagine and populate.

[quote=Owen Wulf]That is a shame. I would have thought with all the elements of horror and mystery that is imbued in the setting that a Halloween themed event would come naturally. Pity, but I suppose the team is just busy building new content in Sunless Sea. Hopefully when they are done with that they can take time to expand Fallen London itself. Still waiting to hunt that Vake.

edited by Owen Wulf on 10/4/2013[/quote]

Isn’t it the complete opposite here? Valentine’s and Christmas are deeply creepy. So Halloween, if it gets a mention at all, should be … fluffy and nice?

I’m not an expert, but I don’t think it was a big thing in England. Apparently, it was more of a Scottish and Irish thing, that the English thought was a bit undignified and un-Protestant but that caught on in America. Wiki suggests that the earliest examples of what we’d recognise as Halloween were recorded a few years later than FL’s setting.

The Rubbery doorknockers were rather nice! It was a pleasant interaction.

It’s still not a particularly big thing in England, at least compared to the US. There’s a completely separate celebration called Bonfire Night on 5 November, and when I grew up in England I certainly thought that Bonfire Night was a much bigger deal than Halloween.

In Scotland, where I live now, there’s still the tradition of guising for Halloween - which is like trick-or-treat, but without the extortion. Kids dress in costumes and get rewards for them. It’s all very pleasant and charming, and not really macabre at all.

Cheers
Richard

Yeah, Halloween is an interloper hereabouts. It seems to offer more opportunities for corporate profit than Bonfire Night or indeed, nowadays, Valentine’s Day. But this has nothing to do with its rise in popularity. Only a cynic would think that.

I haven’t polled people or anything, but where I’m from at least, most people still disapprove of trick-or-treating. If they’re older than 15, anyway; as a ten-year-old I was all for it. I preferred Bonfire Night, though, even then.

By the way, I see no reason why we shouldn’t celebrate All Hallows’ Eve ourselves. We send each other menacing notes, soliciting Surprise Packages, dead rats, or whatever; if the recipients don’t comply, we stab them. Who’s with me?
edited by Flyte on 10/7/2013

[quote=Flyte]if the recipients don’t comply, we stab them. Who’s with me?
edited by Flyte on 10/6/2013[/quote]

Can we stab them anyway? Trick or TRICK!?

[quote=babelfishwars]Can we stab them anyway?[/quote]No, we mustn’t do that. It would bring brutal extortionists into disrepute.
edited by Flyte on 10/7/2013

[quote=Flyte][quote=babelfishwars]Can we stab them anyway?[/quote]No, we mustn’t do that. It would bring brutal extortionists into disrepute.
edited by Flyte on 10/7/2013[/quote]

pout
Wanna.
Just a BIT of stabbing? Oh please oh please?

Be careful what you wish for or this will all just lead to us being terrorised by urchins in shabby costumes threatening to scratch-up our hansoms and egg our clay men unless we give them spore toffee.[li]

I like that idea. I’m just worried about getting stabbed only because I’m in another time zone…

Seems like there may well be a Halloween (or Hallowmas, maybe) event this year after all!
IMPORTANT: do eat masks.

I notice an option for folks who are caught up in SMEN. I hope it’s nothing important.

I… hrm, and where might this be, exactly?

Your lodgings! I just found it myself.

Oh god I almost clicked the first option. I’m not even sure what it was, I was just trying to see what the requirements were and hit the Go button by accident but I closed the window straight away an I don’t think anything happened. I am thankful for the flakiness of this bus’s wifi sometimes
or maybe it did do something and I haven’t noticed oh god

Trying to play FL on a bus with wonky wifi that never loads images is like doing keyhole heart surgery blind
I’m terror.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 10/14/2013

Haha, I’m in the mirror marches already.

Spacemarine, if you mean the SMEN option, it’s nothing too hideous, for a given value of hideous.