Rules for That's All For Now?

You obtain &quotSomething awaits you&quot Qualities while sailing through the Zee for a set period of time. This quality can be used to obtain storylets. Watch your journal, because when you obtain &quotSomething Awaits You&quot, a message will show up on your log. Some storylets will consume this quality, while others will not. How which storylets are picked is not yet well understood. Theory: There are many different types of SAY. When you get a message, the game rolls for which type of SAY you get, with different messages for each.

Messages are not unique, but can overlap each other. You can only have 1 x &quotSomething Awaits You&quot at a time, however. If you have SAY, it will show up in your journal.

Also, this explains why you can’t do hunters keep or mutton island and get your terror reduced to 50 at FL. You actually need to spend time away from the area to get it.

Some storylets have unique constraints on their usage. You cannot, for example, string two Port Cecil: Chess Games in a row.

When you dock, the game rolls for whatever Storylet you get. Some are rarer than others. Others are very common. In additions, rewards can vary.

That’s All for Now

Common Messages: &quotOn the Horizon, a sickly yellow light glimmers for a moment, then fades.&quot

&quotThe air trembles. A breath of change passes.&quot

&quotThe air carries the scent of salt and shadows.&quot

&quotOn the Horizon, a sickly yellow light glimmers for a moment, then fades.&quot

Storylets

Storylet: Watch the covenant.

Reward: 5 fragments, a strange catch (rarely)

Storylet Quaker’s Haven: Walk along the shore

Reward: A choice between an Outlandish artifact, 4 x Drowning Pearls, Unprepossessing Mass, and Judgement’s Egg (rarely), which you can sell to University for 500 echoes.

OR

(rarely) Storylet: A Midnight Ceremony?

Reward: A tale of terror, 5 fragments

Storylet: Explore Gaider’s Mourn

Reward: A view from above - Choice of stat gains, some unlocked by having a god’s attention, others by having the right ambition or past.

Storylet : Gather Scintillack

Reward: 1 x Scintillack OR 2 x Scintillack AND gives 10 ~ 20 terror

Storylet: Play Chess ( pages challenge, failing will net you terror or nothing )

Reward: + 1 Pages OR +1 Pages and X secrets

This Storylet has unique constraint not yet well understood. If you figure it out, please post!

Storylet : Explore the coral

Fragments OR possibly a outlandish artifact. (rare)

Storylet : Wander Khan’s Heart

Reward: Terror Reduction (common) OR Fragments (common) OR Strange Catch (uncommon)

OR +3 Leopard’s Condescension (Rarely), OR A Shop (Rarely).

edited by nameless on 7/5/2014
edited by nameless on 7/6/2014

Probably :)

That is what you are told when you use “Something Awaits You” which is a quality you pick up while you are Zailing - if you read your log you will get a message which I think determines which option will appear. There are ones about bats, or thoughts of home and several others as well.

Hm, didn’t notice that message part.

It is hard to keep an eye on everything when you are Zailing - you need to see where you are going, look for Beasties, check the terror, fuel and hunger gauges and read the log. Those messages can go by pretty fast - especially with all the “fed the crew” and the ones about the area where you are Zailing.

Well then… let’s do some spading then. I ask that everyone put their “That’s all for now messages here”, and if possible, where they got their stories.

Hmm, I was assuming that you could “carry” one “something awaits you” quality, and it unlocked the options at whatever port you were in. Then you needed to sail around for a bit to gain another one. But I did wonder why you could sometimes go straight from Abbey Rock to Hunter’s Keep and get storylets at both, and sometimes neither of them would be available. I just assumed my timing was off. I thought “that’s all for now” simply indicated you didn’t have any “something awaits you”?

…that paragraph made more sense in my head.

But yes, it would be cool to know definitively how this mechanic worked, at the moment it seems pretty random, sometimes ports have an action, sometimes they don’t, and then chess at Cecil seems to run on it’s own schedule entirely. Slightly confusing/frustrating.

That paragraph makes sense to me.

As for chess I think I’m going to have to hover around Port Cecil and see if I can track down which message actually unlocks it - I’ve only seen the option twice and only won once.

Fallen London should just reduce the terror to 50 whenever you get into port, having it depend on “Something awaits you” messes up your mutton island or hunter’s keep rotations.

&quotThe waves are flecked with lights&quot

&quotGreen glass and basalt. Salt and Silence.&quot

&quotLuminescent beasts like eyeless dolphins play in your wake.&quot

&quotZee bats cry out. They are nothing like birds.&quot

&quotThe scent of the zee! Salt and frost and cellars. Black spices.&quot

&quotA breeze stirs your hair, and dies.&quot
edited by Nenjin on 7/4/2014

Has anybody gotten the “moustachioed women” storylet (sorry can’t remember what the actual title is) in locations that seem kind of weird? Just now I got it in the Iron & Misery Funging Company.

The one where you recruit her?

Also, Anyone have any idea what the port cecil chess rules are?

I’m still not sure about this - I was going on the Fallen London Airs system - where words signify a number for which actions are available. Here we have no way of knowing which numbers give which message or result and there is obviously some overlap.

So in Gaider’s Mourn both “Laughter From the Foredeck” and “The Air Trembles. A Breath of Change Passes” gave a Patriotic Dispute. But Laughter from the Foredeck also gave The View from Above.

As for playing chess in Port Cecil I have no idea on the unlock. I do know that as long as you keep winning you can keep playing but once you lose the match is over until the next time the option is available.

[quote=lady ciel ]I’m still not sure about this - I was going on the Fallen London Airs system - where words signify a number for which actions are available. Here we have no way of knowing which numbers give which message or result and there is obviously some overlap.

So in Gaider’s Mourn both &quotLaughter From the Foredeck&quot and &quotThe Air Trembles. A Breath of Change Passes&quot gave a Patriotic Dispute. But Laughter from the Foredeck also gave The View from Above.

As for playing chess in Port Cecil I have no idea on the unlock. I do know that as long as you keep winning you can keep playing but once you lose the match is over until the next time the option is available.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that storylet locks after you have time the healer trigger, or after you lose. I played it until my pages was 110, and got about 50+ secrets from it (I had inherited 78 pages from my glorious victory), and the storylet locked after I went to London, even when my pages was so high I couldn’t lose if I wanted to.

Right, but is it locked forever?

I think part of the problem with chess is that it is so rarely available. I must say that I don’t visit Port Cecil on every voyage but I have only had the opportunity to play chess 3 times. First time I lost; second I won one then lost; third time I had a bit of a winning streak - it was nice to find out that there was a chance of getting a Secret for a win.

I’m pretty sure that, going off of the unlock, it just becomes available at certain (but not all) levels of Something Awaits You; it’s operated on its own mystical schedule since before Time the Healer in London was a thing, at least. There might be a fancy rich effect at play to narrow/widen the range involved, though, idk

Levels of ‘Something Awaits You’ huh…

Could be. For reference I made about 25 runs to Mutton Island last night, trying to get the Judgement Egg. Most of the time I reached there having got SAY once. Occasionally I had “two” SAYs, if that is indeed a thing. The distance you need to travel to get SAY seems fairly consistent. On the way up to the Tomb Colonies, I’d usually get a message sometime after Davies Bay but before Venderblight. On the way down, it’d usually be well south of Davies Bay. If I kept going I’d usually get a second message North of the Murray Straits.

My feeling is its pretty random, but maybe…maybe each port stores a secret value for its most valuable storylets, so that they have a cool down timer of sorts.

2 Judgment Eggs, the whole night.

It might just be luck based. But that doesn’t explain why Port Cecil: Chess has been locked for ever in my playthrough.

Nor why the thing that says it’s locked; Something Awaits, if different than the Something Awaits that makes the normal storylet available.