Rules for That's All For Now?

Different values for Something Awaits You determine what storylet appears at each port (and also what message shows up on the log, but there’s not necessarily any correlation between the log messages and different storylets appearing. numerically, I think the quality levels run from 1 to 100, although that value is hidden) Chess is probably only available at one specific band of Something Awaits You values.

Yep, looks like a ‘The airs of London’ at Zee.

Hm. Does the place you get the message depend on where you are atm?

No.

If it really is completely random, that would suck.

Hell if know anymore. After getting Chess at Port Cecil once, I didn’t see it available again for the next 5 trips and ~8 hour of gameplay…then I got it twice in a row. Totally random seems to be the case.

Also Station III yields some weight to the total randomness theory.

One storylet has like 8 different options based on some variety or value of SAY.

I’m starting to lean toward that SAY has an internal value. The messages you get may not be related to what that value is, but its internally storing something I think.

SAY’s numerical value runs from 1 to 100, probably (source; there was a debug storylet left lying around for a few hours at station iii ages ago which, among other things, let you set SAY to a multiple of 20 as high as 100)- the displayed messages definitely correlate to specific numerical ranges, coz’ the quality handling system is pretty much entirely Storynexus and fixed ranges for specific messages is how Quality Change Descriptions work in SN.

So maybe SAY rolls a number when it’s generated (1 to something) and additional SAY gains are maybe additive (or hell maybe they can even roll negatives and subtract from your SAY total.)

Because we’re expected to do routes and hit most if not all ports along our way, it’d make sense that the potential for a rare (ie. high value SAY quality) has to be possible between two ports of call so you have a chance of seeing it. Otherwise, you’d never see some of the rarest storylets unless you sailed across half the zee and only visited the one port you’re interested in. And we know that isn’t a guarantee either. You can build up a ton of SAY and still not get a rare storylet.

So maybe your first SAY roll is always positive, and from then on every additional SAY roll is either positive or negative (-10 to +50).
edited by Nenjin on 7/6/2014

Probably just sets it to a random number between 1 and 100 each time you get it.

So each storylet has a value for what SAY value it needs to show.

Which means the best way to get the storylet you want is just to sail just far enough to get it to trigger, then head back. Pretty fuel inefficient. Now I wonder what sets the frequency of SAY. I’ve done a lot of runs at Mutton Island from FL with fairly consistent results, but as the back leg of a trip they haven’t been very consistent.

[quote=Nenjin]So each storylet has a value for what SAY value it needs to show.

Which means the best way to get the storylet you want is just to sail just far enough to get it to trigger, then head back. Pretty fuel inefficient. Now I wonder what sets the frequency of SAY. I’ve done a lot of runs at Mutton Island from FL with fairly consistent results, but as the back leg of a trip they haven’t been very consistent.[/quote]

A value or a range of values, yeah. The fuel efficient way would probably be to integrate it in a longer run, so that you get more options for profit.