River in a box?

Yeah, he didn’t do much of anything in this event! Didn’t receive any gifts, only sent a few glasses of teeth, and built Masquing up to 10 so that he can make use of the Encounter at the Feast card he drew after I decided to ignore the event on him. He did play the Encounter at the Feast card long before I did, but I didn’t receive any living story message when I traded my Masquing in for the Gentleman last night so I don’t think that’s it.

Edit: Spoken to the developers? No, I don’t think so. Pretty sure Failbetter wouldn’t lock most people out of this anyway.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/19/2013

I got a one as well.
I thought it might have something to do with my high Empire’s Kingmaker (51) or maybe Connected: the Masters (4)? Or possibly having a certain masquing (though i’m only at like 31…)
Or just they haven’t gotten around to giving it to everyone?

Unless it’s for having Connected: Masters and/or Empire’s Kingmaker under a certain amount that seems unlikely. It might be the last one, however. We shall see.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/19/2013

Sells for 32 Echoes, 50 pence. Also, I reported the odd capitalization as a typo, so we don’t flood them with reports.

I doubt there is a requirement besides maybe a low bar like “having given a gift”, which would explain why my main has one and my alt does not. Has anyone received one who has not given a gift?

One of my alts just received one, but my main and my other alt have not. No clue as to why.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it has a masquing value?

We’re likely seeing staggered delivery for one of two reasons:

1. They are manually running scripts because of the batch size involved in an effort to minimize the performance hit to the database. This is likely due to the increased time we’ve seen today when trying to equip items.

2. There is a timed event similar to the “something will happen soon” launched messages, where we are all placed into a table with a job that fulfills due deliveries. This is less likely for a one-time delivery, in my opinion.

My main character (cathyr19355) received one. I have no idea what it’s supposed to do, but it was heralded with one of those Twitter messages the game has you send to yourself. It has a Bazaar value of 32.50 Echoes.
edited by cathyr19355 on 2/19/2013

[quote=amaresu][quote=MaskedGentleman]Not that I know of.

Have you acquired either any of the Fate locked items from the Feast or any of the new companions? This might be like the robes from Christmas.[/quote]

I got 2 dolls and a maggot with a rose. I’m a bit short on Fate right now. I haven’t even seen the card that lets you get the new companions.[/quote]

That’s interesting. I received a few of the 5 Fate items only, as I too am short of Fate. But if you got a Box and haven’t even seen the Encounter at the Feast card, that means that receipt of a box has nothing to do with whether you’ve acquired a new Companion. Perhaps it’s related to the amount of Masquing you have? I have 32 right now.

The alt of mine that received it doesn’t have any masquing, as she hasn’t really been participating in the feast.

I have Masquing 26, have not yet seen the Encounter at the Feast card, and have sent quite a lot of Fate - at least one full set of items and some duplicates. My Connected: Masters is at 9 and my Empire’s Kingmaker is 71.

I just got mine! My alt got hers earlier. I think it is as I suspected - they are just staggering deliveries to help with server load.

Huzzah! Mine has arrived. All manner of thing IS well.

Just got mine, have sent zero gifts. I do have some Connected: The Masters, though.

I decided to compile a list of some of the possible criteria, as Moriarty got one but my alt (Laplace) didn’t.

Gave Fate Gifts: Both
Currently Possesses a Fate Gift: Moriarty
Masquing: Both
Connected: Masters : Only Moriarty
High Empire’s Kingmaker: Only Moriarty
Low/No Empire’s Kingmaker: Laplace

All of my accounts have received one. To be fair, all of them have been participating in the Feast, but still, I strongly suspect that Lady Red and Theus are correct–delivery is staggered, but everyone is slated to receive one.

EDIT: I was wrong, one of my characters has not received one–he’s the only one without any Connected: Masters.
edited by Jack Vaux-Harrowden on 2/22/2013

I’ve got mine. Or, given the text that the Masters wrote on the Box that contains the River, maybe I shouldn’t call it MINE.

[quote=Theus]We’re likely seeing staggered delivery for one of two reasons:

1. They are manually running scripts because of the batch size involved in an effort to minimize the performance hit to the database. This is likely due to the increased time we’ve seen today when trying to equip items.

2. There is a timed event similar to the “something will happen soon” launched messages, where we are all placed into a table with a job that fulfills due deliveries. This is less likely for a one-time delivery, in my opinion.[/quote]

You could well be right. I’ll be looking closely to see whether my alt (stats between 65-79 and very low Connected Masters) gets a Box; that will help confirm your theory.

Step 1: Cut a hole in a box…

I recieved one as well, although I only sent a single, non-fate gift. For the record, I sit at 47 for Empire Kingmaker, and 5 Connected : Masters.

[quote=MaskedGentleman]Not that I know of.

Have you acquired either any of the Fate locked items from the Feast or any of the new companions? This might be like the robes from Christmas.[/quote]
I can shoot down that idea. I haven’t sent or received any fate-locked (or even non-fate-locked) gifts during the Feast, but I received a River in a Box earlier today.