Questions about random questlines

I frequently stumble across various little questlines which are confusing, and about which the wiki gives no useful information, only an encyclopediac list of storylets associated with it.

I’d like you guys to give me information about the questlines in question. What their overall point is, where they lead to, whether they’re repeatable, and what kind of rewards can be gained. Ideally without any spoilers about the lore, story, or secrets that i might uncover. please spoiler important details if needed, i just won’t read those

I can’t recall all these quests right now, i intend to come back to this thread and post more requests as i remember them. I’ll edit them into this OP, and also make a post to bump the thread in future
But for now, a few come to mind:

[ul][li]What’s Seeing Through The Eyes of Icarus all about?[/li][li]Also Touched By Fingerwork[/li][li]and Walking the Fallen Cities[/li][li]What’s the Fighting a War Of Assasins about too?
[/li][li]What kind of things can raising Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar lead to?
[/li][/ul][ul][/ul]
edited by Nanako on 1/24/2016
edited by Nanako on 1/24/2016

Let’s see…

The Affluent photographer
Eventually gives you one of two Shadowy +3, Dangerous +1, Dreaded +1 clothing items which can be sold at the Bazaar for 6 Echoes. You can do the whole carousel as often as you like but it’s not really worth it.

Romancing in the empress’ court
It’s fun! Just do it. Repeatable as long as you’re not banished from Court.

Deepening the aquaintance with honey
I think this is mainly there to become more familiar with Parabola, and raise the Connoisseur of Neathy Delights quality. Repeatable forever.

The Implacable detective and her million business cards
I really don’t know why there have to be so many, honestly. You don’t get anything for collecting them (yet).

The Once-dashing smuggler
Just an unusual romance. There’s no special reward, but one of the endings can raise your Hedonist +5CP up to 15 if that’s something you’re interested in. It’s not repeatable.

&quotA pocketful of change&quot and first city coins
You can be nice to Heart’s Ambition players by giving them the coins. You need Pocketful 7 to buy a Mark of Credit from the Numismatrix (docks 7CP), so the card becomes pointless basically once your Pocketful is high enough (mine’s about 40, but I’ve been playing a looong time…) Repeatable forever.

Tracking down the Manager, in A State of Confusion
Complaining about his hotel helps you get out a little faster. There’s also a fun little option for when you’re Stormy-Eyed.

By the way, you can simply delete those endless edited by… when you’re editing a post ;)
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 1/19/2016

Playing Cat and Mouse with the Implacable Detective cards can be profitable but there is some luck involved to get the higher rewards.
For one of the options, the Medium, it can be easier as there is a stage where you get guaranteed progress if you go to the Mirror Marches.

Marks can be cashed out for various rewards, including the only Respectable Weapon, something to do with the faction you’re closest to, and a way to open passage to another location.

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]Let’s see…

Tracking down the Manager, in A State of Confusion
Complaining about his hotel helps you get out a little faster. There’s also a fun little option for when you’re Stormy-Eyed.

[/quote]
can you actually track him down? i’ve always gotten out of there before succeeding every time i tried, and then the quality resets…

If you have a goal while you are in a Menace area you can always use gear to keep yourself there until you reach that goal.

So if you want to see the Manager in a State of Some Confusion wear a Sporing Bonnet; if you want to meet the Forger in New Newgate wear a Pirate hat.

Exile in the Tomb-Colonies is notable in that the above does not apply; leaving is not automatic once scandal hits zero and instead requires a specific action.

Well, does that quality have any objective? is there a point to raising it?

Are her cases rewarding, or worthwhile to do? fun, even? i’m about 180 modified watchful so its probably easy for me

A Connoisseur of Neathy Delights:
You need…
… CND 1 to play the Egg Imponderable form in Knife & Candle.
… CND 5 for the Fate-locked option on The Windward Tower.
… CND 7 for a particularly Presumptuous Little Opportunity.
There might be other uses, but those are the ones that come to mind now.

I don’t know. If I’ve ever played them, I don’t remember it.

added another question to the OP

The Tomb of Seven is the one you need to get Scholar of the Correspondence and access to the University.

I think the other is one of the steps in an ambition (but I might be wrong)

The former is a part of Ambition: Heart’s Desire.
The Tomb of Seven is totally important and I think you need to do it to progress to the next step of Making Your Name: Watchful (A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets)!

[quote=lady ciel ]The Tomb of Seven is the one you need to get Scholar of the Correspondence and access to the University.

I think the other is one of the steps in an ambition (but I might be wrong)[/quote]

ohhhh right. in that case, i’ve done it before, a long time ago, and i completely forgot!
OP updated again

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]A Connoisseur of Neathy Delights:
You need…
… CND 1 to play the Egg Imponderable form in Knife & Candle.
… CND 5 for the Fate-locked option on The Windward Tower.[/quote]
i don’t believe i’ve heard of the Windward Tower, what is that?

oh and i just got some darkdew cherries from the once-dashing smuggler. it may not be hugely valueable, but that’s still a pretty rare item. what else is there to glean from his questline?

anything i’ve not yet removed from the OP, are things i might like more information about
edited by Nanako on 1/19/2016

Yes - with SotC 10 you can use a Monocle on Lacre with 100% success!
Also, one needs SotC 10 to advance from Author to Correspondent.

The Decommissioned Steamer lodging’s opportunity card ;)
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 1/19/2016

Yes - with SotC 10 you can use a Monocle on Lacre with 100% success![/quote]
huh?

huh?[/quote]
Huh. ;)

huh?[/quote]

If you have An Unusual Pail of So-called Snow (aka Lacre, obtainable during the first few weeks of the christmas event), a Semiotic Monocle (350E, from the Bazaar), and A Scholar Of The Correspondence at 6 or greater, you can use them together to increase your SotC slightly (up until 15) and gain some Putting the Pieces Together: the Taste of Lacre (+3 LEVELS up to ToL 6. Best done when you have ToL at 5, to get it up to 8.)

One pail of snow/lacre is removed from your inventory regardless whether you succeed or fail, but failure will increase your Wounds menace rather than giving +SotC and +ToL.
Having your SotC at 10 guarantees success when performing this action, meaning the bucket can’t be wasted.
edited by Kittenpox on 1/20/2016

Nanako, are you one of those who turned down the chance to see a play because they’d heard that Godot never turned up? I think they missed the point.