PSA: Reddit AMA on Fallen London ios launch day

Lots of tasty information here, and some hints to future content. Looks like they’ll continue answering questions for awhile yet.
edited by Parelle on 4/19/2016

[quote=Parelle]https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4fi67d/were_failbetter_games_makers_of_sunless_sea_and/?limit=500

Lots of tasty information here, and some hints to future content. Looks like they’ll continue answering questions for awhile yet.
edited by Parelle on 4/19/2016[/quote]

For Android users, there is also a survey on demand, so go show 'em we want it too!

I love this NiteBrite bait, directly from Alexis:

[quote]Q: Is Tea grown in the Neath? Or has it been replaced with mushrooms like the wine?
A: There is mushroom tea![/quote]

I KNEW IT! THE AFTERTASTE DOESN’T LIE!

Looks like they’ve stooped. Odd that they didn’t indicate it in any way though

[quote=dov]I love this NiteBrite bait, directly from Alexis:

I love that you call that NiteBrite bait. (I love even more that it really IS NiteBrite bait)

At the top, they added this to their starting post: Edit: What fun! We’ll be around later on this evening, UK time, so keep the questions coming. :)

Q: What must one do to go NORTH?
A: Arthur; Beau; Cerise; Destin; Erzulie; Forthigan; Gawain.

The other names are revealed.

[quote=Malgorath]Q: What must one do to go NORTH?
A: Arthur; Beau; Cerise; Destin; Erzulie; Forthigan; Gawain.

The other names are revealed.[/quote]

You could see them as requirements on Lilac’s Tattoo for &quotMr Eaten’s Name&quot.

I think the only one never seen at all was St Erzulie’s Candle while the rest were all seen in various contexts. St Arthur’s Candle was from Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance; St Beau’s from the Nightmare Carnival; St Cerise’s from seven ways each more horrible than the last (though to my knowledge only three were released, devouring your entry in Slowcake’s, sacrificing 77 Iron Knife tokens, and Winking Isle); St Destin’s from the Torment destiny, being sent it at Hallowmas, and Winking Isle; St Forthigan’s from sacrificing St Cerise’s and St Destin’s on Winking Isle; and St Gawain’s was never obtainable but could be seen as the requirement for an option on the Seeking card A Contretemps in a Restaurant.

(The false-saints also all have lessons named after them in the Chapel of Lights storyline in Sunless Sea.)
edited by Optimatum on 4/20/2016

Nice breakdown, Optimatum :-)

Two small nitpick items:

1. St Destin is the one promised seven ways to get, each more horrible from the last, and this is the candle you could get by devouring your Slowcake’s entry. So for Cerise there were two known ways (including Winking Isle), and for Destin there were 4.

2. One player (Spacemarine9??) did get St Gawain’s candle, as a prank from Alexis, giving a few hours countdown until something terrible happens if the candle isn’t disposed of, or something similar. It’s been years so I don’t remember the details (and I think it was discussed on one of the forum threads that got Eaten).

I seem to remember that it turned out Alexis only gave them cheerful goldfish, but I really wouldn’t rely on this,

I think that the goldfish was the eventual result once they chose to get rid of the candle. But my memory of this event is really fuzzy… (I blame weekly trips to the Nadir and being a Midnighter)

(wasn’t there a sort of candelabra to light or something…?)

[quote=dov]

One player (Spacemarine9??) did get St Gawain’s candle, as a prank from Alexis, giving a few hours countdown until something terrible happens if the candle isn’t disposed of, or something similar. .[/quote]

Something terrible happens if they don’t get rid of it, and they got rid of it?!
What happened to the Seeking tradition?

[quote=Gonen][quote=dov]

One player (Spacemarine9??) did get St Gawain’s candle, as a prank from Alexis, giving a few hours countdown until something terrible happens if the candle isn’t disposed of, or something similar. .[/quote]

Something terrible happens if they don’t get rid of it, and they got rid of it?!
What happened to the Seeking tradition?[/quote]
Well, I think that Alexis’s warning was very ambiguous what would happen either way. Both options couldn’t be explored, so one was picked…

[quote=Gonen][quote=dov]

What happened to the Seeking tradition?[/quote]

I am fairly certain that he clicked accept (it was a social action) and Alexis just put the generic &quotserver dies with flare&quot error message in with a bunch of generic SMEN penalties. Or an goldfish. The candle itself was never added into the game.

Refusing, on the other hand, would mean nothing at all - StoryNexus currently don’t allow social actions to trigger something differently based on refusal / cancellation of an action.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 4/21/2016

Spacemarine9 never actually got St Gawain’s Candle; he got two social actions from Alexis, one saying he could claim the candle which &quotwill allow your enemy to behead you” and a Candlecurious which said it would remove all his candles. Both actions also said they’d be cancelled in a few hours if not accepted and to accept them in the right order.

They were both just Cheerful Goldfish.

(The candle itself is of course added into the game in that it exists as a quality with description and image, but it’s never been possible to obtain.)
edited by Optimatum on 4/21/2016

[quote=Optimatum]Spacemarine9 never actually got St Gawain’s Candle; he got two social actions from Alexis, one saying he could claim the candle which &quotwill allow your enemy to behead you” and a Candlecurious which said it would remove all his candles. Both actions also said they’d be cancelled in a few hours if not accepted and to accept them in the right order.

They were both just Cheerful Goldfish.

[/quote]
Well… Perhaps he did not accept then in the right order =)

We will never know. (Especially since he didn’t say which order he accepted them.)
edited by Optimatum on 4/21/2016

Ah, I knew someone with better memory will be able to fill in the blanks. Thanks!

I miss the good old times of Alexis personally messing with the Seekers…