PSA: Reddit AMA on Fallen London ios launch day

[quote=Gonen][quote=Optimatum]Spacemarine9 never actually got St Gawain’s Candle; he got two social actions from Alexis, one saying he could claim the candle which &quotwill allow your enemy to behead you” and a Candlecurious which said it would remove all his candles. Both actions also said they’d be cancelled in a few hours if not accepted and to accept them in the right order.

They were both just Cheerful Goldfish.

[/quote]
Well… Perhaps he did not accept then in the right order =)[/quote]

Storynexus didn’t work like that, especially back then before all the fancy improvement they made :flogging:

The one way it would have been possible would be if they used rich formula where, say, accepting Candlecurious give a quality at 1 (number A) and then have the result for accepting the other social action to give or set the Gawain quality to 1 (but capped at A).

But that requires the message to show something like &quotSt Gawain’s Candle hasn’t changed, because it is lower than 1(A)&quot.

Even now, a social action cannot change their result text based on what the recipient’s quality is unless it is a quality contest ala K&C / chess / brawls - even if the results can change slightly like the above case.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 4/21/2016

Wow, there’s even a beating a dead horse emote. Modern technology sure is incredible.[li]

I’m not really sure what you mean though by capped at A. Wouldn’t it also be possible in theory to set some quality to 1 then set St Gawain’s Candle to the value of the first quality?
edited by Optimatum on 4/21/2016

[quote=Optimatum]Wow, there’s even a beating a dead horse emote. Modern technology sure is incredible.

I’m not really sure what you mean though by capped at A. Wouldn’t it also be possible in theory to set some quality to 1 then set St Gawain’s Candle to the value of the first quality?[/quote]

Both works. But there would be a message shown explicitly - that St Gawain’s Candle hasn’t changed because it is lower than 1 - that you have encountered a soft cap.

I haven’t looked at StoryNexus lately, but back then it is probably not possible to do quality changes (in gameplay) silently even if you are FBG. One of the contest winner world, The Thrist Frontier had to rely on adding a lot of qualities with no names and no descriptions in order to mask them. StoryNexus is very insistent on being transparent.

(Of course you can still fake quality changes and do some twist and turns to mask them but they tend to be very obvious unless you add even more smoke and mirror and that’s definitely not the case here. Rich effect and formulas help a lot.)

Wait so… St Gawain’s Candle wouldn’t change because it was LOWER than 1? Would this hypothetical action give seven of them? ;)

In any case though we don’t even know what the social actions said when accepted, just that they gave goldfish. So who knows, besides the esteemed tiger-keeper himself.
edited by Optimatum on 4/21/2016

[quote=dov]I love this NiteBrite bait, directly from Alexis:

Psssh, as if I’d fall for that. The heptagoat is just a kid, too young to drink, and I am a responsible goat-mom. No, the only way forward that makes sense for me is more goats. That’s why I am building a proper goat family of all the goats all of them, and will have a second heptagoat long before I ever consider going for the cider again. I’m already one uber in ;D

Good luck, NiteBrite, with your goat family.

Out of curiosity, what’s your preferred grinding method of choice these days?

There are so many good ones these days it’s hard to choose. The 1.77 EPA from rat catching for the DoE as a ratcatcher while at overcapped dangerous is nice and a definite favorite because it involves rats. I accidentally drank two bottles of oblivion (well one was an accident) so the EPA will be slightly lower now I guess, but still top notch. Then there’s the 5.0 EPA from Listing Tower which is a card and knife and candle related, but its still active and relatively frequent. Of course both of those pale in value compared to [REDACTED].
edited by NiteBrite on 4/30/2016

Picture for NiteBrite confirmed:

[quote=NiteBrite]There are so many good ones these days it’s hard to choose. The 1.77 EPA from rat catching for the DoE as a ratcatcher while at overcapped dangerous is nice and a definite favorite because it involves rats. I accidentally drank two bottles of oblivion (well one was an accident) so the EPA will be slightly lower now I guess, but still top notch. Then there’s the 5.0 EPA from Listing Tower which is a card and knife and candle related, but its still active and relatively frequent. Of course both of those pale in value compared to [REDACTED].
edited by NiteBrite on 4/30/2016[/quote]

Off topic, but how in Mr Eaten’s name did you get that much dangerous?

Maybe replaying Flint over and over again after setting it to 215 by specializing in Dangerous and giving 15 Notability to the Bazaar? Delmar doesn’t have a specialization, but his Dangerous is 205 thanks to that one option in Flint, and I’m sure if you had enough Fate you could probably bring it up pretty high if it doesn’t stop you after a certain point.

All the way to Dangerous 335, apparently.[li]

It doesn’t stop you, and the dangerous increase slowly increases over time. It’s not a fixed +5. I did flint 10 times, and near the end of it I was getting like +7 dangerous. I think it gives you a +2.5% increase of your current base dangerous, uncapped.