Over the Last Horizon: The Salt/East Thread

I believe the Urchin’s song is when you listen to the songs the Fisher-Kings sing in the high places. Should be able to double check on the wiki if you search the phrase of their song.

Ugh, there’s so much lore and so few comprehensive guides. The wiki is just a reference for storylets. We need a terms wiki. =/ I just want to know the things!

So much of interest is found East.

This is probably unimportant, but its worth noting that the &quotEater of Names&quot has 77 crew, 700 health, and resides in the far east. Perhaps its priests are off the same order of priests from the place where you try to go East and aren’t allowed. It would make sense, especially given their bone aesthetic. It would also raise some questions though.
edited by Morucant on 9/4/2016

[spoiler] [quote=Vavakx Nonexus]I doubt I could manage to write answers to all the things you say, Kyron, in a reasonable timeframe, so I figure I might more partial analysis of things you say.

Old stuff:

Though I doubt most of these methods would work for a star. How would it drink of honey, or pass through a mirror? Entering the Mirror-Marches via insanity takes a Memory of Light, a personal glimpse of the world behind mirrors. I am uncertain whether Salt had access to it. And I am fairly sure stars are more durable than a human ship, and could withstand the journey EAST.

I do not agree with this point. While I some of the colours could well be normal greens, the green-and-gold is a clear allusion to Viric and Cosmogone, like how the Nadir replaces Irrigo with Violet or lilac. Every time a Neath-colour is mentioned, it does not have to be named the exact shade (is that an appropriate word for this?) that it is, but a surface counterpart.

It is also worth mentioning that the thing that gives you the riddle is one of the serpents, the Fingerkings. Therefore, it is not against their intentions for East-travellers to know the Song. It was also unspecific, saying that &quotIt curls two more [of it’s heads] around you, to shield you from the gaze of others.&quot

New stuff:

[quote=Kyron The Wise]It may or may not be an extension of Parabola, though it is unlikely. Parabola is the realm of Is-Not, while the…for lack of a better word, ‘normal’ world is the realm of Is, ruled over by the Judgements, AKA, Stars. Anything of Is-Not burns away under sunlight, corrodes under starlight (Which does beg the question of how there is a sun in Parabola, but I would conjecture that it is not a Judgement, and perhaps is a simple ball of light that looks like a star).

We can take this to make it unlikely that the East is part of Parabola, since we know that Salt, a rouge Judgement, traveled to the East (might still be there, still working back to Exaltation in SS). If the East was part of Parabola, well, it would have been burned away, or at least damaged by his presence, though I am curious if a Judgement could be overwhelmed by a deluge of Is-Not, to the point where it no longer Is. So while it is indeed possible that the East could be some as of yet unseen Parabolan Realm, given what we know, it is unlikely.[/quote]
It is worth mentioning that Parabola possesses trees marked with the Correspondence, which might indicate that it can, indeed, work with at least a part of the law. Further still, the sigil stands for a process only possible in Parabola, which implies that something that can speak the Correspondence to the point of creating new words, witnessed it at some point to name it. The Masters have been frequently mentioned as interacting with Parabola, such as Mr Spices’ and Mr Wines’ War over it or Mr Wines in the Huntsman destiny, but they only use a simplified form of the language in question. I doubt that they’d be the ones to name it.

[quote]Finally, we know that there is a Riddle, as mentioned when you rescue the Genial Magician in the Wednesday in Parabola Destiny Storylet. The Magician is referenced has having solved/solving/will be solving the Riddle of the East of Everything. A connection to draw here is that Irem is well known for Riddles, and it is also will be (already is, has been) a location to sail to at Zee, so Irem may be/might have been/might be a stepping-stone/connection in this Seeking.

One other point with the Riddle is that it says that when the Magician solved/is solving/will solve it, he might flee here, with here implied to be Parabola (You are/always have been/will be the Huntsman for the Finger-Kings, which I just realized are two letters off from Fisher-Kings). One conclusion to draw from this is that Parabola and the East are the same, which is indeed possible, though unlikely. Another conclusion is that he solved the Riddle, but for reasons, did not go East. This does tie in with the trend that going East tends to require you giving up your identity, but I’ll save that for a later post.[/quote]
I have a slight suspicion that the Riddle in question might be the way to get Salt’s Song in Irem from the Seven-Serpent, because it takes on the usual format of question-answer. (&quotWhat is the price?&quot and &quotThere is no price&quot being the question and the answer respectively) This particular piece of theory is very shaky, and mainly stands on the fact that there aren’t any Irem-specific riddles that you are required to solve for the Song, as far as I know.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that in Irem, after paying coffee to go to Parabola, you can trade a Searing Enigma for a single Hesperidean Apple. Their common life-giving potential implies to me that they come from the same source (possible the Garden), and that source can be reached through Parabola. My memories of actually getting one of the apples is a bit dull, so I might’ve missed something.

Another piece of info that I would like to add is that you frequently meet your reflection in Frostfound, the Salt-Centric Location, and it acts independently from you. In fact, it happens during the Sigil-Ridden Navigator’s story, and there is an entire part of the journey through Frostfound dedicated to it. Also, 2/3 of the results for Fumbling in the Darkness refers to what presumably is Salt as a Hungry Monarch, fitting in with the Beleaguered King and the Red-Handed Queen of Chess-Dream fame.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 9/3/2016[/quote][/spoiler]

Would’ve responded sooner, but I decided to actually hammer through Exaltation.

(This storylet for the following passage: EAST)

While I am less certain of the East not being Parabola than I was before, there is still the issue that sunlight destroys Is-Not (The storylet in detail says that it destroys the citizens), while Starlight corrodes it. Further, Is-not is the &quotenemy kingdom&quot for the Judgements. While Parabolans may be able to work with some parts of the Is, such as the Correspondence Sigil you mentioned, it still doesn’t enable them to avert this basic rule. Now, it may be possible to circumvent this rule, true, but as far as we know, it is not. As it stands, Salt is a Judgement, thus a star. Now, the issue here is whether Salt gives off Sunlight or Starlight, and really, what the difference is. Is our Sun just so hateful on the Is-not that she just annihlates them, while the other judgements slowly corrode them away? Regardless, Is-not, given time, cannot survive the Judgements. I don’t know what the Is-not does to Judgements in turn. If this particular issue can be answered, I could possibly believe the East to be some fragment of Parabola.

In answer to some of your querys/statements:
I am well aware of the whole Frostfoundy bit with the reflections. However, Frostfound is Judgement-built, not Fingerking built. Hell, the Tireless mechanic hides the Impeller info there, specifically because the Fingerkings can’t reach it there.

While yes, perhaps the green-gold could be viric/cosmogone, I don’t think it is a clear allusion. It talks about so many shades, and, let’s be real here, the presence of green. gold, or even both somewhere does not mean it must be viric or cosmogone. Otherwise, I could just pick up a bucket of green water, give it to the Curator, and skip his bullshit quest. Further, there are other colors at play, such as blue and white. The place is also filled with the scent of pine, which I don’t think has been mentioned in Parabola, could be wrong.
Never doubted the Masters could interact with Parabola (I myself took one of the Wednesday in Parabola destinies on my alt.). It is the Judgements which are incapable of doing so, which the Masters aren’t, and Salt is.

The Seven-Serpent could indeed, and likely is, connected to the Fingerkings. It isn’t one itself though. The Fingerkings are behind the mirror, in parabola, and are supposedly incapable of actually manipulating the physicality of the world (See the Invasion of Hell Destiny, think it was Instrument). The Seven Serpent is decidely solid, Fingerkings…well, are made of Is-Not.

Something to mention with the Riddle is that this is more FL conjecture. I know its possible to get the Song in SS now, but we cannot yet go to Irem or the East in FL. However, while Sailing, guess what the only two currently unattainable destinations are? Irem, and The East. FL’s way of attaining the East is likely to be more convoluted and time-consuming than SS’s, since SS wasn’t based on a platform that made time a commodity. Remember, the main focus of this thread is to conjecture for Fallen London (Why I posted here), using Sunless Sea for lore backup.

You were right about the Seven Serpent, no mention of Fingerkings. One thing I found absolutely freaky though is that I swear, and I mean, really swear, like on Kingeater’s Altar about to eat my crew swear, that there was mention of it watching where the Dawn Machine was, Westwards. That is completely non-present. This isn’t the only time that story has seemed to change on me either.

Yes, while the Apples are attainable in Parabola, we don’t know yet abou the Widow’s supposed Peaches of Immortality. Hell, we don’t even know that much about the Widow, as I’m pretty sure she has the connection stat with the least amount of usage.

In conclusion to your post, I can believe that the East could be part of Parabola, but given how Salt is there, and how Judgements and Parabola just don’t mix, I lean towards it being somewhere other. There could be another dimension, other than Parabola, for all we know about universal arrangement.

I’ll be updating the East post with more information shortly, having gotten Exaltation…again.

[quote=Morucant]So much of interest is found East.

This is probably unimportant, but its worth noting that the &quotEater of Names&quot has 77 crew, 700 health, and resides in the far east. Perhaps its priests are off the same order of priests from the place where you try to go East and aren’t allowed. It would make sense, especially given their bone aesthetic. It would also raise some questions though.
edited by Morucant on 9/4/2016[/quote]

The Eater of Names is a Chelonate War Barge, the people who live on the turtle shell. Kingeater’s Castle is located in the southeast corner and never moves, being there each and every time. Odd thing is, in Sunless Sea, the place is notably abandoned, with the only thing there being your echoes. In FL, on the other hand, there are apparently priests there.

I know very little about this conversation.

I would like to know, however - would the difference between sunlight and starlight be one simply of physical closeness? The Sun is much closer than any other star/Judgement.

TRAVELLER RETURNING: THE SALT POST

Salt is known as the Zee-god of the Horizon, and Farewells. When you get cursed by Salt, your family (indirect family, spouse and child are clear), straight up vanish, and above your heir’s bed is writ the Salty phrase &quotTRAVELLER RETURNING&quot.

What we know about Salt is that they were a Judgement, one of the immortal star-beings that preside over the universe, maintaining the Chain, which deems who can love whom. Salt was a Judgement who worked for an enigmatic Judgement known as The White, who as far as we know, is some kind of spymaster in the Judgement version of the Great Game. Salt also has been searching for…something for quite some time, a search that was going on before the White sent Salt down to the Neath. Down here, Salt is known to have looked for whatever it is he (Salt) was trying to find in many, many places in the Neath, before giving up their Name (A very weighty thing to do for beings of power), and heading East, blazing a road that others might follow. Salt is still there, in the East, though if he found what he was looking for, we don’t know.

Compared to the other Zee-Gods, there is only rare mention of Salt, in FL at least. Here is what I have found thus far, must of it speculative connection.

You know the card, The Neath’s Mysteries? It has options for increasing one of four qualities, Approaching the Gates of the Garden, Walking the Fallen Cities, Touched by Fingerwork, and Seeing Through the Eyes of Icarus. It is the last that is of interest here. The option is to invite a friend to a play called The Seventh Letter. They say that only six letters of it should be written together. The Seventh will doom us all. In Sunless Sea, Salt’s name is compromised of, you guessed it, seven letters. Upon attaining the Seventh, you are almost overwhelmed by the journeys of others, and must travel to Kingeaters to kill off most of these personas. This particular storylet increases the quality of STEI, which is descirbed as Icarus Returning/ Longs for the Deep Places. This sounds suspiciously like the Salty phrase TRAVELLER RETURNING, which may mean there is a further connection between Salt and this quality (Guess I know what I’m grinding).

As for Traveller Returning, I have seen the phrase twice, possibly thrice, though the last may be a figment of my madness. The first is in a bit of FateLocked content, where at the conclusion of events in it, a Bazzar Permit was attached to one of my walls with some resin-esque substance, with the phrase TRAVELLER RETURNING filled into the Services Rendered portion. The second was something dug up waaaaaay long ago in my Journal, where I was gifted a face looking thing made of flint with the phrase etched in it. The possibly Is, possibly Is-Not instance was when I acquired my Destiny at Hallowmas for the first time, only last year, and I swore the phrase was mentioned then (I am a Road destiny, obviously, as where else would I sojourn if not the Sky), but my Journal says otherwise. (Ignore this last one, I know for certain now that it did not happen, I was drawing conclusions hastily at the time)

A third connection is to the Urchins, who are basically the nexus of all Eldritch things in FL. One of their songs has the line ‘we all fall down when the Mark’s passed around, but we climb up ropes to the SKKKKYYYY!’, with mark being commented on by your player as distinctly capital. These Urchins, who are often commented in Stone and Storm connections, have little to no blatant Salty connections. Further, having completed Exaltation in Sunless Sea (I swear, that game is worth it for that story alone), something that stands out at the end is that after you pass East, which requires the Mark of the East, you journey up into the sky. If this doesn’t reference that, I don’t know what does, and since the Urchins are nigh-prophesyzing bastards, it seems reasonable.

Another, though one I haven’t attained personally, is the Panopticon, during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. Apparently Salt is represented by a phoenix during a play.

Finally, the biggest is during that most end gamey of end-game storys, Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name. There’s a whole quest path that revolves around Salt, and I have no idea what happens in it, nor will I til I do it myself.
edited by Kyron The Wise on 9/11/2016

Well we know that the Bazaar is a /messenger/ returning, maybe that’s where you got the idea it was a traveller returning, Kyron? The starting storylet describes a dozen travellers, including the player, and I totally feel there’s a faint echo of the Bazaar returning in the TRAVELLER RETURNING phrase. shrug

In Sunless Sea, the Traveller Returning is explicitly Salt. The phrase is constantly popping up in connection to him, specifically. For example, the option to take the name in the heart of Frostfound is labelled TRAVELLER RETURNING. The quest line has you take the name, and your identity merges with Salts (It’s super cool, play the game and do the Carnelian Exile’s quest if you haven’t already).

I use the phrase TRAVELLER RETURNING very specifically, as it has popped up in that precise format, caps and all, in both games. I highly doubt it would be Salt-centric in one game, and Bazaar focused in the other, especially cuz the Bazaar isn’t returning anywhere right now, it’s hiding out in a cave from a lover.

The Traveller is always returning. One who does not is no Traveller. The Bazaar is not currently returning anywhere, it is no Traveller.

I meant with the Destiny, maybe that’s why you thought there was a traveller returning mentioned in it. I’ve not played Sunless Sea but I absolutely accept the knowledge of those who have, especially when there’s a bunch of folks saying the same thing! I too doubt it refers to Salt in SS and the Bazaar in FL, I just feel the Bazaar going back has a return of the traveler (or at least someone who wandered off) aspect to it, and between that and the text of the storylet perhaps that’s why you thought you found a mention but can’t locate the actual text of it.

I would love to play Sunless Sea, but I am not very coordinated and the sea travel has frustrated me pretty badly. Seeing all this lore stuff, though…I should give it another stab.

I meant with the Destiny, maybe that’s why you thought there was a traveller returning mentioned in it. I’ve not played Sunless Sea but I absolutely accept the knowledge of those who have, especially when there’s a bunch of folks saying the same thing! I too doubt it refers to Salt in SS and the Bazaar in FL, I just feel the Bazaar going back has a return of the traveler (or at least someone who wandered off) aspect to it, and between that and the text of the storylet perhaps that’s why you thought you found a mention but can’t locate the actual text of it.

I would love to play Sunless Sea, but I am not very coordinated and the sea travel has frustrated me pretty badly. Seeing all this lore stuff, though…I should give it another stab.[/quote]

Ack, sorry, didn’t realize you were talking about that part. Yeah, you’re probably right. At the time, I was just coming off Sunless Sea, and still super jazzed about Exaltation. I didn’t know anything about destinies at the time, and honestly, was viewing everything through the lens of Traveller Returning. Getting Road didn’t help because if any of the Destinies are East-y, that’s the one. Yeah, now I realize that the passage in question is about the arrival of the Bazaar to the Neath.

As for Sunless Sea, I’d actually advise you to wait a few weeks. You see, on October 11th, Sunless Sea’s first expansion comes out! It’s called Zubmariner, and, you probably guessed it, it will involve travelling both the surface and bottom of the Unterzee. The entire zee-bed will be accessible, and new lore introduced .Many of the places mentioned in the Festival recently, such as Wrecking Boots from Wrack, or Drownie teras from whatever their city is called, are destinations already confirmed for Zubmariner. It is possible that more Salt/East lore will arise in Zubmariner, as the quality attached to Salt in both FL and SS is called
&quotSun Beneath the Sea&quot.

I understand that SS can be kinda hard to get into at first. My advice would be to be bold. Travel with your lights off to conserve fuel! Strike out into the unknown! Take risky skill checks! The careful may live longer, but it is the bold who are remembered!

(Or fogotten, in the case of SMEN and Exaltation).

I would love to play Sunless Sea, but I am not very coordinated and the sea travel has frustrated me pretty badly. Seeing all this lore stuff, though…I should give it another stab.[/quote]

Ack, sorry, didn’t realize you were talking about that part. Yeah, you’re probably right. At the time, I was just coming off Sunless Sea, and still super jazzed about Exaltation. I didn’t know anything about destinies at the time, and honestly, was viewing everything through the lens of Traveller Returning. Getting Road didn’t help because if any of the Destinies are East-y, that’s the one. Yeah, now I realize that the passage in question is about the arrival of the Bazaar to the Neath.

As for Sunless Sea, I’d actually advise you to wait a few weeks. You see, on October 11th, Sunless Sea’s first expansion comes out! It’s called Zubmariner, and, you probably guessed it, it will involve travelling both the surface and bottom of the Unterzee. The entire zee-bed will be accessible, and new lore introduced .Many of the places mentioned in the Festival recently, such as Wrecking Boots from Wrack, or Drownie teras from whatever their city is called, are destinations already confirmed for Zubmariner. It is possible that more Salt/East lore will arise in Zubmariner, as the quality attached to Salt in both FL and SS is called
&quotSun Beneath the Sea&quot.

I understand that SS can be kinda hard to get into at first. My advice would be to be bold. Travel with your lights off to conserve fuel! Strike out into the unknown! Take risky skill checks! The careful may live longer, but it is the bold who are remembered!

(Or fogotten, in the case of SMEN and Exaltation).[/quote]
One way or another, all of Axile’s children were spawned for sacrifice.

Plus, Zubmariner is likely to add the &quotSupremacy:The Lorn Flukes&quot thing someone found in the files, which would certainly be a convenient tie-in for Mr.Eaten or Salt. After all, if Salt is the Hungry Monarch, they’ve certainly sacrificed things of Axile.
edited by Morucant on 9/5/2016

One way or another, all of Axile’s children were spawned for sacrifice.

Plus, Zubmariner is likely to add the &quotSupremacy:The Lorn Flukes&quot thing someone found in the files, which would certainly be a convenient tie-in for Mr.Eaten or Salt. After all, if Salt is the Hungry Monarch, they’ve certainly sacrificed things of Axile.
edited by Morucant on 9/5/2016[/quote]
That’s the thing, Salt likely isn’t the hungry monarch who crafted Frostfound. While Salt certainly had a hunger, or more specific, a ‘naked need’, I don’t think he was the one who crafted Frostfound. I think it was his old boss, the White.

Honestly, I think most of the cursey things that happen that people attribute to Salt, are really being caused by the White. The only real reason I have is that sometimes, you get the curse for things that have no real reason to be attached to Salt. For instance, why on earth does shooting a white zee-bat **** off Salt? He’s not actually a god, he’s a travelling star. The only instance I can think of where he might actually give a shit is when you uncover his &quotnaked need&quot in Frostfound, and even then that might not be him. The White, on the other hand, might be trying to find his rouge agent, and might not like others closing in, or, more likely, likes screwing with people.

Also let’s be honest. You shoot a white Zee-bat. White the Judgement. (Yes, this is the stupidest thing I’ve said, that’s what spec threads are for, crazy connections).

I would tend to assume that if you shoot a white flying sea-creature, you call down the Curse of the Ancient Mariner.

White? Is that something that’s, like, a rank above stars/judgements (which is what Salt was)? rather new to FL, very new to lore diving It’s like…my second month here, so be gentle with me.

Or not, y’know, sink or swim.

Its a particular judgement, who is a leader the the judgements version of the great game (?) basically a bad idea to mess with.

WHERE ARE YOU GOING, OLD SOUL->THE QUESTION POST

So, I figured we needed a post that laid out questions that remain, gaps that lie in our knowledge. Of course, these likely aren’t ALL the gaps. I have by no means plumbed the depths of FL or SS. Furthermore, there are likely questions that we don’t yet realize we need to ask. However, by figuring out what we do need to ask, maybe we can graze the borders of some of those invisible questions.

For starters, we don’t quite know what the EAST is. All we know is that Salt, a Judgement, fled there, and something is drawing people in there, never to be seen again (Or tempting people East). We know that it is attached to the scent of pine, which is in turn attached to the Emerald room of Secrets in Frostfound. Whether East is covered in air freshners, or Salt just smells like pine, who knows.

It is also suggested that the Widow ships her Brandy in from here. Supposedly, it is made from the Peaches of Immortality, and rivals Hesperidian Cider. Whether this stuff comes from the East, or not, we don’t know.

A possible answer is that the East is Parabolan in nature. After all, we can get Hesperidean Apples from the Mirror Marches in Sunless Sea, so immortality granting fruit is known to come from there. Also pointed out is that there is an emphasis on green and gold in te East victory in Sunless Sea, which could be tied to Viric and Cosmogone, colors often attached to Parabola. Another strong point is that when trying to go East, and failing, in Sunless Sea at least, the typical result is returning to Irem, where &quotthe world becomes real&quot. Pretty strong indication of moving from Parabola to our ‘normal’ plane of existence.

What is the last horizon, that tempted Salt? Does it have a connection to the text from &quotLose your mind&quot at Kingeater’s, that the end of the chain is horizon’s beginning? Does the East have to deal with breaking the Chain?

What is the Sunless Sky? Sure, maybe it’s a future game, but what if it’s something in the lore, and not just a sequel hook?

Or the East could be something else entirely. Feel free to make suggestions based on your impressions of it.

Next up, Salt. We know slightly more about Salt. Salt is, or possibly was, a Judgement, big sentient star, who was employed by the White, a major player in the Judgement’s Great Game. White sent Salt down to the Neath to find an unidentified ‘her’ (My guess is Bazaar) where he would find the ‘treasures’ (Never expanded upon), from which Salt would &quotonly have to take a little&quot. The White’s aid would also be cheap, and Salt would have what was promised. (All this from Sunless Sea, and Taking the Name-Which-Burns.)

Salt arrived in the Neath, but wasn’t expecting it to hurt so much. Whether he tried to accomplish the White’s objectives or not, we don’t know. We do know he looked for something and couldn’t find it in: The High Wilderness, The Nadir, The Forge (Probably the Forge of Souls, where souls are made), the crushing silence of the Unterzee deeps, the Shapeling Citadels, or the Sundered Sea. The they went East, and that’s really the last we heard of them (They may also be the star described in the desc of Travelling Light who took up a mask and a burden).

Questions about Salt:
Why exactly did they go rouge from the White? I mean, I’m pretty sure White is a jerk of a very high degree, but why rebel? Was it being changed by Stone? Or did White cut ties, and label Salt an Exile?

What exactly was Salt supposed to find down here in the Neath? He was told to find ‘her’ and he’d find the ‘treasure’, he need only take a little, and White’s aid was cheap. What exactly was down here that was important enough for a Great Game: Stars only Version Spymaster to dispatch an agent to retrieve some. Lovestories? Souls? Really excellent mushroom wine?

Was the ‘her’ in question the Bazaar, Stone, or our own Sun? Was it some as of yet unidentified character?

What does giving up one’s Name entail? Salt was required to sacrifice his name by the &quotfierce old thing in the darkness&quot (assumed to be the White). Why? Does giving up his Name change Salt into…something else?

Most important of all in my eyes, what was Salt seeking? There was/is something down here that Salt really, really, really wanted. Well, not necessarily down here, but possibly down here. He looked in all those places, and couldn’t find it, only, we can assume, to find it in the East. What is it? Also, why did Salt try to forget this desire? What did it do to him, that he attempted to forget it?
I will admit, I am also curious as to what the connection between Salt and Mr Eaten is, but out of respect for Failbetter’s request to keep mum, I ask that no direct spoilers of SMEN end game content be given. That means anything past the King of Ways.

I’ll update this as I figure out more questions.
edited by Kyron The Wise on 9/11/2016

As far as I understand it, the Sundered Sea refers to the Lacre-Vats under the Bazaar, which can be accessed through Penstock’s Wicket which is described as ‘[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A furnace-lit door to the Bazaar’s heart.’[/font][/color]. If Salt was indeed looking for the Bazaar, they either failed rather miserably or succeeded at it and decided not to return to the Wilderness.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 9/9/2016

[quote=Trilby]Since I can’t figure out how to add a spoiler thing, I will simply take this time to direct everyone towards what the Sunless Sea Wik.

Specifically on SALT’s response to you fumbling about in a very dark room, in the heart of a peculiar frozen palace.[/quote]

I kinda just paraphrased that in my post, with the places he went. Also, you don’t need to worry about spoilers. We’re in a spec thread, if you get this far in expecting not to be spoiled, you need to spend more time playing chess.

And I suppose you’re right Vavakx. If he went to the Sundered Sea, he knew where the Bazzaar was, which raises the question of what female he was looking for, or even what species/entity.

[quote=Kyron The Wise]

Questions about Salt:
Why exactly did they go rouge from the White? I mean, I’m pretty sure White is a jerk of a very high degree, but why rebel?
What exactly was Salt supposed to find down here in the Neath? He was told to find ‘her’ and he’d find the ‘treasure’, he need only take a little, and White’s aid was cheap. What exactly was down here that was important enough for a Great Game: Stars only Version Spymaster to dispatch an agent to retrieve some. Lovestories?
I’ll update this as I figure out more questions.[/quote]
S[color=000000]Memory is such a tricky thing
[/color]
[color=000000][color=000000][color=000000]If [color=000000]it is that Salt is the Hungry Monarch, th[color=000000]e [color=000000]&quot[color=000000]her&quot in question would have to be S[color=000000]tone. [color=000000]Truly immortal souls a[color=000000]re ap[color=000000]paren[color=000000]tly of great value to t[color=000000]he Devils[color=000000]; they would [color=000000]likely [/color]be of similar value to Judgements. [color=000000]As[color=000000] to [color=000000]going ro[color=000000]gu[color=000000]e, it might [color=000000]have to do with how [color=000000]The [color=000000]Hungry Monarch was calmed by [color=000000]Stone.

[color=000000]S[color=000000]ince [color=000000]I’ve [color=000000]already mentioned souls, I might as well tell [color=000000]you a theory I once dreamed up. In Exaltation, you’re forced to go to all four edges of the [color=000000]Neath and bey[color=000000]o[color=000000]nd[color=000000]. [color=000000]You[color=000000] have to go to the edges of Parabola, and in orde[color=000000]r to gain sunlight [color=000000]you must go somewhere[color=000000][color=000000], b[color=000000]e it Aestival or the Surface. [color=000000]Might it be that merging wit[color=000000]h you brings Salt knowledge, as his been theorized to be the Soul’s purpose? I [color=000000]may be remembering wrong, but I[color=000000] do not recall a [color=000000]confirmation that Salt betrayed the White. After a[color=000000]ll, all tra[color=000000]velers must ret[color=000000]u[color=000000]rn, or so Salt’s motto seems to be.

[color=000000]Furthermore, we know from the Se[color=000000]ve[color=000000]nth Letter that [color=000000]The Phoenix ha[color=000000]s met The Bazaar. This [color=000000]helps to impl[color=000000]icate Salt as The Phoenix, and through it, the Hungry M[color=000000]onarch.The Phoenix had an in[color=000000]terest in the B[color=000000]azaar trying to guess their name. The Hungry Mona[color=000000]rch found Storm’s name, though it [color=000000]did neither of them any good.

[color=000000]I don’t t[color=000000]hink I’ve [color=000000]said [color=000000]m[color=000000]uch that is truly new, but I hope I’ve made everything more clear.[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
edited by Morucant on 9/9/2016

Why though is his desire to seek this thing hidden with his name?

Why leave forever to look for something after giving up your desire to find it?

It’s not like it was preventing his passage east.

And it seems that it wasn’t in the east afterall.

Definitely wasn’t in any particular part of parabola either…
So we know East is not parabola.
Or at least not anywhere mapped in parabola.

Off topic, but I have to ask:
How- and more importantly why-does someone on the surface recognize The-Name-That-Burns. How could they have possibly met a Nigh-Judgment level being on the chain and live.
With a sane mind.