Oh that unaccountable peckishness.

We’ve always been interested in this subject.
And know we are even more interested because of the fact that we’re now involved in regular diners with some devils and the fact I am so hungry i can’t even thing about something else.

What exactly cause this, why and how?
Well, as for something we know, this hunger is directly connected to Mr Eaten, as he himself can just came to you under Mr Sacks’ cover and give his lights and hearts to you, but just w h y he spreads the hunger when he himself was, you know, EATEN ALIVE. AND HE IS STILL ALIVE. Or kinda alive
And what about other sources, like diner with devils, or visiting Mr Hearts shop and, for the wierdest, dreams about drowning and worse.
We just don’t get it.
Well, we kinda understand… but, for the most part, we not. It’s such a wierd subject for us.
And… Well, we just don’t wanna outlive experience of the hunger just for this, we don’t appreciate seeking the name. It’s just such a horrible, horrible way to end your life and to betray everyone, gosh.
But as Seeker of Truth, I want to understand. I really do. But not this way.
At least we wanna know another way to learn about this whole subject of peckishness.

Gosh, excuse us if this all was kinda messy or something, I am just so damn h u n g r y, we even can’t think straight.

In Fallen London, you sometimes get it when eating meat, usually offal (organs). No one seems to get Unaccountably Peckish from eating fruit and vegetables.

In Sunless Sea, it’s spelled out a little more obviously …

UNACCOUNTABLY PECKISH IS MADE OF PEOPLE!

edited by Zee! on 1/26/2015

There are cases where you get peckish that is clearly not related to people, so its a bit more complicated than that.
edited by WormApotheote on 1/26/2015

The devouring of Mr Eaten kinda reminds me of that tale where Prometheus gets his liver pecked out by an eagle every night. Many times he has been consumed, and still some part of him lives. I think the people who ate him gained some significant power too (at a cost, obviously, but still). Maybe some part of our subconscious wants in on that. Though you’d think if that were actually the reason for our hunger Seekers would eventually try to capture Mr Wines for lunch.

Actually it’s a really interesting idea. Mr Wines would be delicious because of his, well, wines.

Mr Spices would probably taste pretty good to people who like honey, too. Not to mention Mr Eaten doesn’t like either of them because his domain was originally dreams, and the two of them stole it from him. The idea of giving the two of them a taste of what he’s had to endure could appeal to him, though presumably he doesn’t encourage his followers to go for it because if they succeeded the rest of the Masters would kill almost everybody and move onto the next city, forcing Mr Eaten to start all over again. He doesn’t have much time left.

Actually it’s a really interesting idea. Mr Wines would be delicious because of his, well, wines.[/quote]
Would you say that one might eat its liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner.

[quote=Zee! ]In Fallen London, you sometimes get it when eating meat, usually offal (organs). No one seems to get Unaccountably Peckish from eating fruit and vegetables.
[/quote]

On the contrary, when you are teaching a student of clay how to go shopping, you can get UP from a meal of nothing but potatoes. Well, dirt and potatoes.

…how do you grow potatos in the neath? How do you KNOW they’re potatos, and not cunning imposters?

POTATOS ARE MADE FROM PEOPLE… okay that doesn’t make any sense

What does Mr. Eaten need to do that would be impeded by the movement of the Masters, and why does he not have time left? Was this something that an_emptiness wiped out?

[quote=Sara Hysaro]…Not to mention Mr Eaten doesn’t like either of them because his domain was originally dreams, and the two of them stole it from him…
…He doesn’t have much time left…[/quote]
Wow-wow, i never heard something like this.
Well, i’ve never been the Seeker of the Name and whatever, but i searched information 'bout everything Eaten related, but wow.
And why not so much time left? He was eaten alive after some other thing and thrown into the well, and he’s still alive or something. I thought he may be completely immortal, or… maybe he is some restless spirit now, huh.

He doesn’t have much time left because there will be only two more cities.
Whatever happens after that, the other Masters will most likely leave the Neath and will thus be beyond his reach.

He doesn’t have much time left according to the Eaten-Sacks card.

I’m not sure how the return of his name will help him. Maybe it buys him time, maybe it brings him back, I dunno. But if he’s completely forgotten he’ll be gone for good.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]
I’m not sure how the return of his name will help him. Maybe it buys him time, maybe it brings him back, I dunno. But if he’s completely forgotten he’ll be gone for good.[/quote]
It’s totally makes Eaten A restless spirit. He doesn’t want to be erased from history.
When someone will find his name - he will rest.
But when everything will be forgotten… I don’t even know what exactly will be.

If I’m understanding one of the Marsh-Mired texts correctly he wants to get back at the Bazaar, and he also wants what he was promised. Maybe he’ll rest after getting his due, but it’s just as likely (if not more) that he’ll be a wrathful spirit causing indiscriminate damage even after his revenge.

I think previous commenters are correct, once Eaten is forgotten, he will disappear. I SUSPECT once his name is learned he will be able to return in some form, perhaps even your form. NOTE: this is a wild speculation, I have no evidence backing this, but considering how much you have to suffer (just as Eaten did), it might make sense.

Is it normal that now Eaten and all seeking stuff reminds me of JESSUS D–NABLE CHRIST?

Also a rather nice meta-reference to the hiatus of Seeking the Name.

We do not forget.

Yes, I think the copious Christ/pagan sacrifice imagery attached to the Mr. Eaten storyline is entirely deliberate, Miguel.

I still haven’t been able to find any way to join the mr. eaten quest no matter how high my peckishness gets.