October Exceptional Story: Death and Tax Evasion

Exceptional Story for October: Death and Tax Evasion

“Death belongs to the rat. Humans have forgotten its sting. But our smaller souls are honed on its scythe; this sharpness is our whole being.”

For many, the Neath has brought reprieve from the inevitabilities of death and taxation. For many, but not all. The Rattus faber get only one chance at life. And to make matters worse, now the Board of Underland Revenue is on their back.

Suffer the knock of the Revenuer at your door. Investigate a schism in the ratty church, and learn what rodents hope for after death. And maybe – just maybe – resolve the question of your taxes.

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

All Exceptional Friends receive:

• A new Exceptional Story every month
  • Memories of a Tale from each story to spend on exclusive companions and items
  • A second candle (up to 40 actions at once)
  • An expanded opportunity deck: ten cards instead of six
  • Three additional outfit slots
  • Access to the House of Chimes, including monthly gameplay perks

Enhanced Exceptional Friends receive all of the above, plus:

• A past story, or two resets of stories you’ve played from a monthly menu
  • Memories of a Tale from every past story or reset
  • Extra monthly perks in the House of Chimes
  • Three seven-action refreshes per month
6 Likes

Just got to the part past the choice to look into the rats or not, is it bugged? Doesn’t seem to be a way to follow it further after being told to look into it

LOVING this story so far. Especially all the time ins for late game players based on achievements and items we’ve acquired! It feels like a jaunt down memory road!

And @captainbloodstorm, I don’t think it’s bugged, you just need to go to Mrs. Plenty’s Carnival to talk with the rats.

3 Likes

Appreciated! That has indeed done the trick

2 Likes

This one has quite a lot of tie-ins!

1 Like

Yes. I had great fun putting the wind up the Tigers with my 8 (eight!) Starveling Cats.

1 Like

Okay I will not be playing this ES obv but that name… Wheeze I don’t even know why it’s so funny to me, but it’s hilarious

I’ll be honest, I wish there was a tie in for the estival items this year for the tigers but as of yet it’s been a great story!!

Okay who helped the tax collector? I know I’m about to lock into a rat ending

4 Likes

I opted for the cake and eat it play, but I’m not quite finished yet. Incidentally, probably the most horrific ES yet – very nasty memories of a tax inspection that went on for 18 months.

1 Like

I couldn’t go through with it.

I flipped a coin to see if I would help the tax collector. So I helped out in the raid. Then I stopped, and abandoned it all to hear a good friend’s last moments.

I’m a Licentiate, a Master, a guy who should be utterly irredeemable after betraying and hurting so many people. But I could not bring myself to let someone die alone.

My back taxes were paid off, but not by that terrible revenue officer. Very Christian, that someone shows mercy even if they don’t deserve it.

1 Like

I am wondering what taxable items people had (mine were an unexploded bomb, a bound shark, an irrigo coat, floaty whale goop and Diamonds, lots of diamonds). Hopefully those links work now (I am the fool that put a space in my user name).

1 Like

I had an unexploded mine, some ambergris, a magnificent diamond, and a Parabolan Linen Frock. (I also have the Parabolan Linen Suit, and a storylet showed up for it, but once I did the storylet for the Frock, the storylet for the suit went away).

Well at least I have about half those rather than one or two like usual, lol

What happens if you kick her out? Does the story just end??

I’m a Master too, but for me it’s always been my character’s misguided belief that she can fix the system from inside. (She’s also grinding to become the 13th month right now.)

So needless to say, she helped the tax collector right until the end, when she defended the rats :laughing: